Severe Food Allergies and Intolerances

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeaBisqit, May 20, 2009.

1. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Does anyone else suffer from bad food allergies and intolerances?

I ate something my body couldn't handle today, and now it's been four hours of vomiting and diarrhea with stomach cramps. I think it's finally starting to wind down now. The last time I got this, it was from avocados. My body can't break them down or something. This time, I'm not sure, but I think there was something in a trail mix that killed me. It had dates, figs, almonds and other stuff in it. I'm thinking it was the figs.

I swear, I have to eat like a monk or I get sick. I'm going to have to go back on my plain white rice and babyfood diet. It's about the only time I don't suffer. I can't eat out anymore either. I get sick. It's a total nightmare. Everyday, it's like what can I eat that won't make me sick, and the list keeps getting shorter.
  2. dannybex

dannybex Member

It's so frustrating isn't it?

On a positive note, we had a guest speaker at a recent support group meeting who had SEVERE intolerances to many many foods. She was also very 'allergic' to tiny amounts of bacteria or mold that would grow on leftovers, even left wrapped in the refridgerator! It was a MAJOR issue for her.

She had to do a strict rotation diet -- until she could handle some of these foods -- and also found that low-heat, long-time cooking -- like w/ a crock pot for several hours -- helped her deal with the bacteria growth. Apparently it helped so that she could eat more leftovers again.

She was sick for 16 years, bedridden for two(!), and is now recovered, and has been back in school for the last year.

But it took a lot of work. She also had candida issues, some mold in the apt she moved to which set her back about a year or so, also had to get good air purifiers, chemical-free cleaning stuff, etc..

Regarding the trail mix -- maybe there was some mold in it?

Take care,

[This Message was Edited on 05/20/2009]
  3. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

My kids & I also have severe food allergies & intolerances. Sorry to hear of your suffering.

One thing that has helped us is getting them pinned down so that we know what to avoid. Fewer days in bed/on can. Have you had some test batteries done? There are many helpful tests out there.

Unfortunately, with eating out there are many wild cards. We've learned to either pack our own food, or eat at home & sip water when out.
  4. restauranthell

restauranthell New Member

Sorry to hear you have this problem. I have lost forty pounds in the last year. I did not mean to lose it.
    A couple of suggestions.
    Testing. ALCAT or RAST
    Rotate your food. once every four days.

The latest trick in my ND's bag has been NAET. It is working so far.
    Pretty amazing although I do think it is a band aid for a really screwed up gut.

Have you done a Genova Stool test? Very important as well.

Only ideal digestion will make this go away and that is what I am aiming for......Good luck.
  5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I don't know if I am getting new allergies to food (which is entirely possible bc I have certainly gained other new allergies since I got sick), or if something else is going on, but I do know that my body will let me consume fewer and fewer foods w/o gagging and/or getting nauseous and/or vomiting and/or feeling the food is stuck in my esophagus, and I have definitely been acquiring more and more GI related issues, in general.....I can no longer eat my very favorite foods or several others....unfortunately it is not having any effect on my weight (at least not in the direction I want....somehow despite being able to eat less and less variety, I am still gaining weight, bloating, etc....often over night - I can literally go up two sizes overnight .....if I really try to eat very little for a few weeks I can usually lose some again, but I am constantly hungry and more tired that's really frustrating when it feels like the food gets stuck in my esophagus bc I still feel hungry, but I can't eat more, and I gain weight....don't get to enjoy the food, don't get to feel full, and don't get to lose weight)
  6. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

How are you feeling this morning? Hope you are feeling better.

Gentle hugs, Susan
  7. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Stomach is better today, but not perfect yet. I'm going to have to watch what I eat from now on. I do much better on a bland diet.

Terrible few weeks. I had just gotten over a bad bought of Traveller's Stomach and then I get this. I'll have to really be careful from now on.

Thanks for all the replies :)
  8. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

you are better today. How are you doing on the armour(spelling) ?

very gentle hugs, Susan
  9. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Well, I'm not in the screaming pain I was in, so that's something. But I think my thyroid is still slightly enlarged. I'm not sure I'm on a high enough dose. I'm going to the doc tomorrow, so we'll see what she says.

No side effects from the Armour, thank God. I had horrible side effects from Synthroid. But with Armour, nothing.