Severe Hip Leg pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lil_angel1198, Oct 18, 2006.

1. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

I was having severe hip & leg pain, and lower back pain for about a week...to the point I had to use my cane to walk. These were shooting pains, and I couldn't sit, lie down, walk or stand for more than a couple of minutes.
    I went to my Chiropractor and he said I had a pinched nerve.
    My pelvis was out of place!!
    I have no idea how that happened. He asked me if I slipped or fell or lifted anything heavy (I can't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk and sometimes not even that).

So, he put me back into place and said no vaccuming for at least this week. He also said if I can keep from it, that I should not sleep on my stomache.....well, I've been a dtomach sleeper from the time I was born, so it's hard to change now. But, I am trying.

I am still in pain and have sharp pain in my hip and leg.....my knee is effected by this too. I suppose I'll have to go back again, but at least the pain is about 50% better....for now.
  2. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I get it too. It feels like nerve damage, but I know it's probably just part of fibro and cmp.
    Hope the chiropractor can get rid of it for you. If so, keep us posted, as I've not tried a chiro yet.
    Mini
  3. suz45

suz45 New Member

Hi Lil-angel:

You mentioned seeing your chiroparactor, did he check you out for any tight bands or knots that might also be myofascial pain, common with FMers, I too have pain in my lower back and hip area from a previous accident years ago. Acts up when I do repetative motions.

However, I also have knots or trigger points in my hip lower back and sometimes shoulder, almost always on the left side.

Did he talk to you about any basic streching or mild exercise so that you won't get more stiff...

Just a thought. Look for HayleyCloes post from a few days back on MPS. You might want to talk with your chiro....

Let us know how you are doing..

Suz45
  4. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

So sorry you are still having this pain. Many Fibros have hypermobility issues with their joints. I do. My SI joint goes out of place often. It really hurts when it does. I also have Ehlers Danlos syndrome...many with this syndrome also have Fibro. You may want to read about EDS and see if it rings true for you too. I would recomend a physical medicine doctor if you keep having trouble with this. Mine taught me how to put my hip back in place by myself, which is a huge plus. Also only a genentic doctor can diagnose Ehlers Danlos.
    H
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

lil_angel:

I have the same thing. At some points I can not even walk. I have to sit down. Sometimes it is a leg, a right hip, a left hip or one of the knees.

I never thought of a pinched nerve. I might have to have this checked out since I have blamed it all on Fibromyalgia.

nyrofan
  6. thedesertsage

thedesertsage New Member

Hi, I was so sure that my left hip pain had to be something else besides FMS but it looks as though I'm not the only one with this problem and the 3 drs I went to kept telling me it was fMS. I once had the pain so bad that I couldn't get off my couch for a week. The pain lasted in a diminished quality for 8 years. I thought for sure I was headed for a wheelchair but for no apparent reason it stopped almost 2 years ago. I still have occasional pain in my hip but I can walk again. As soon as I do have any pain I have my 16 year old grandson give it a yank and it seems to help. and no I'm not pulling YOUR leg. LOL
  7. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I have had this for about a year now. For me it is a pretty much every day all day pain. I do have a herniated disc in my lower back but no pinched nerves. Since the disc is on my left side and is also bulging or maybe that is the same as herniated anyways the doctor said that is why i have more pain in my left leg and hip and back. The shooting pains are the worse and if i'm not sitting down will almost put me to the floor. It's just something that I have had to get use to. Ohh the joy of Fibro.......SueF
  8. bluestanglady

bluestanglady New Member

You should go to your rheumatologist. I told mine about my severe leg and hip pain and it was a trigger point. He gave me a trigger point injection right on the spot (he could push on it and put the needle right in). It took about a day or two and the pain was completely gone. The reason your knee is hurting you is because you're adjusting your body to your pain in your hip and leg.

I know your chiropractor won't think this is the problem because he wants your business, but the trigger point injection will definitely help you.

Try it!

((HUGS))

BEE

9. singingirl

singingirl New Member

I hurt in my hips, back and legs a lot (along with everywhere else lol) Before I was diagnosed, my md said I must haver bursitis and gave me a muscle relaxer. Now that I have been diagnosed by a Rheumatologist (that he sent me to) he knows what it is.

I really wonder if there is possibly just ONE symptom that I possibly don't have
  10. devonne

devonne New Member

Bluestanglady makes reference to a 'trigger point injection'. I haven't previously heard of such treatment. How much of what is being injected, and how long do the beneficial effects last? Is such treatment common?

Sounds interesting!

Thanks, Devonne
  11. VayCayMom

VayCayMom New Member

I had hip pain off and on since I was 32. I am now 53. About two years ago it became non stop. I had just begun seeing a Rheum. I have had arthritis since age 32 as well, but it was not too bad. My Rheum dx'd fibro, I was not surprised at all. But the hip pain did not respond to anything. I could even hear a noise at times.And of course I had quite a limp going on. Xrays did not pin point the reason. Finally my DR just threw the thought of PT to me. I already had a good chiropractor and he had a PT with all the bells and whistles in his office.
    After about 5 minutes of talking and another of examining me, he located the spot, it was only on my right side.
    He knew what the problem was and in 1 week I was pain free and still am 2 years later, well... at least as far as my hip goes.
    I never really thought he would be able to do a thing, I was on major pain meds and they did not even touch it!

I would never have thought to try PT, in fact I did some research online convinced I needed a hip replacement !
  12. desertlass

desertlass New Member

SI joint pain is underdiagnosed. It is one of the symptoms of FM in Devin Starlanyl's Fibromyalgia Survival Manual. I had a lot of pain from a dysfuntional sacrum (the wedge shaped portion of your lowerback that connects to your hip-- you can feel the top of it right around your "dimples". There are muscles that connect from this area and wrap around your hipbone, and can get inflamed and also irritate the sciatic nerve.

Try the other suggestions, and also look at sacroiliac dysfunction or sacroliliits, (inflammation of the SI joint) on other sites or forums. Having that severe lower back pain is a big part of why I have such severe fm/cfs. It's really important to get it treated, before the nervous system goes on the blink from being in pain so long. Good luck!
  13. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

sacroiliac.

I couldn't remember the name of it, thanks!!
    I am going to research it now.
  14. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

lil_angel1198:

I (once in a blue moon) get hip pain. Leg pain I always have.

It could happen in either hip and I have to sit down for a while.

This is nothing like what you are experiencing and I am so sorry you have to go through this.

Thank goodness you are getting good medical treatment for it.

I hope you feel better soon.

nyrofan
  15. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member