Severe Joint Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Ouch4017, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Ouch4017

Ouch4017 New Member

Hello everyone. This has probably been posted in the past, but I couldn't find anything recently....

My joint pain is so bad that I can hardly walk at times. It actually makes tears run down my face. I have it in my hands, wrists, elbows, hips, knees and ankles. I've been tested for RA and other forms of arthritus. All is negative. My doc feels its from the muscles, tendons, soft tissue tightning around my joints due to my FM. I also get swelling in my hands and knuckles.

Has anyone else had to deal with this? Any suggestions on how to help with the pain?

I already take percoset, lycra, cymbalta, klompin, skelexin (sorry I can't remember how to spell all this stuff!)

I try to walk 10 min a day on my tredmill (when I am able) and do quite a few different stretches)
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I get pretty bad joint pain at times, w/ swelling in the surrounding muscles, so your doc might be right about the reason for your joint pain. I also don't have arthritis.

The quickest fix to address acute pain is arnica gel or Traumeel. They are topical pain relievers/anti-inflammatories that work so quick you;ll be amazed. They are a shortlived relief though, an hour or more, but they are lifesaver for me when Im biting bullets waiting for my narcotics to kick in.

the other thing that may help you even more long-term, though not as noticably right off is anti-inflammatory enzymes. I order mine from Prohealth right here. As a matter of fact, I just called them to tweak my order from 1 to 2 bottles for my next order. I rran out of them once and it was so bad, my painkiller use went up and so did inflammation.

The product is called ProEnzyme P and its the same as a doctor patented formula called Wobenzyme, only cheaper. It works the same, but safer, than ibuprofen or NSAIDS. It helps my period bloat/cramps and has been invaluable for IBS swelling too. Its not expensive and well worth a try. Oh, and ordering from Prohealth puts research dolloars towards FM/CFS, since most profits are donated to our cause. I get their's persoanlly, because I've tried many other enzymes and ProEnzyme P has been the best at the best price.

Jeanne
  3. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I am very down over all of these malladies. I walk with a cane (2 years now) and my shoulder, wrists and hands are soooo bad I can barely walk at all with the cane. I cannot write very well and allll of my joints are tender and very painful. At least the weather has broken and it is warm enough to go outside but the brightness is very hard on my eyes and brain. I want to start doing some walking, but will try later today when the sun is maybe not as intense. The sun feels good on my poor achy old body though.

I am going to go ahead and pay out of my pocket to see my good optometrist since our insurance has changed he is not covered :-( . The Tech said I can take the Rx to someplace on my list to get it filled then bring the glasses back to them and they will check the work. Isn't that nice? My son and I have been with him for years.

It is hard to stay sane ... with all of this pain and confusion we deal with. I better make some calls now. I have to try to get into a Rheumy and a shrink. Geez. No wonder I am soooooo poor.

I take Lyrica & skelaxin too. I just came off Cymbalta.

Lions are mean!!! I am watching about this poor little cub that is injured and the pride doesn't wait on her :-( (sounds like my sisters and me). She is being picked on and tormented by other cubs (BULLIES). So I guess people and lions have a lot in common? lol
  4. michele3322

michele3322 New Member

joint pain is one of my biggest problems. On a good day it is about a 7. But most of the time it is off the charts. My knees are the worst,they swell sometimes and are so dark purple they are almost black, until I get in a hot tub then they change back to a normal color for alittle while. My hands are bad and putting on make up and writeing is very painful.I have tried evry pain med with very little results. Wish I had an answer.
  5. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I just want to call attn. to the tips I gave above that help w/ joint pain. I have a friend w/ bad arthritis in her hands/legs/knees who gets amazing results from the ProEnzyme P. My hairdrresser has IBS-D and her diarrhea is helped by the enzymes too.

Jeann e
  6. Shalala

Shalala New Member

ProEnzyme P ... adding that to my list now. :) Thanks
  7. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

I get moderate to severe joint pain and most recently, swelling of my hands. I worry about this a lot since I have had lymph nodes removed on both sides and I worry abot lymphedema.

Lately I have turned to food for comfort, I'm sure we all have. I see a definite relationship between what I eat and how my joints feel. I'm not saying I can totally control it, but I know I can make it a LOT WORSE with food. I am trying to summon the will power to eat the way I need to.....few or little starch, lots of nonstarchy veggies, lean protein.....sigh, there goes the comfort. Diane
  8. jessica0123

jessica0123 New Member

Talk to your DR about doing a 7 day round of steroids, they help me so much when I can't get out of bed. Check the strenghts of Cymbolta and percoset is probably not enough to give you good pain relief talk to your DR. Get some more meds bump up your cymbolta thats what I did and I noticed a change in 3 days
    Good luck
    Jessica VA
  9. Boy you sound like me this weekend, I was doing fairly good, am on lyrica and OMG. I can barely walk, and to lay down hurts my hip area too. The rheum. dr. gives me injections in the area, he says its not my hips but its the surrounding area, muscles. The injections really help, I have an appt. in two weeks and can't wait!
  10. gidgetsmom

gidgetsmom New Member

OMG thought I was the only one!! Last few months have been so bad! I've been thru all the testing for RA, lupus, all negative. Was about to ask doc to test again before I saw this post!!

Every joint in my body that didn't hurt before does now, finger swelling and all.

I still work everyday, and it's probably a good thing or I wouldn't be moving at all!!

No steroids for me tho, they say that was the trigger for my brother's type 2 diabetes.

I take Lortab, flexeril, amitriptyline, and ativan.

I'm hoping the warmer weather will bring some relief!!

Shelley
  11. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I get what feels like arthritis, but they tell me it's the muscle and tendons attached to the bone that make it feel like that.

I go in and out of flares but the hip, shoulder and sometimes knee pain is pretty mucha constant. A couple of weeks ago I just about lost it. I was having trouble even concentrating at work.

My Dr put me on the long acting morphine. I thinks it's called MS Contin. This has beena Godsend for me. The pain is always in the background, but I know have something that keeps it to a dull roar 24 hours a day. It's only been 1 1/2 weeks but I sure hope it lasts.

I haven't had to take anything for breakthrough yet which is good.

Hope this helps.....

Eileen
  12. Daisys

Daisys Member

Ouch4017,
    I was headed that way. I could hardly get up from sitting down, because my knees were brittle and hurting,and I had joint pain all the time.

The first thing that helped, is I started taking glucosamine/chondroitin. Later, I switched to Sam-e and that helped even more. Both of these supplements help build up the cartalage in the joints. Sam-e also helps with mood, and is helpful for CFS/FM (it's used for energy production in the cells).

What really has helped tremendously for me is avoiding gluten. It seems to be a big problem for a lot of people because it's hard to digest, and causes inflamation of the gut, which makes for incomplete digestion. That means food particles can get into the blood stream in too large of bits. There's a protein in wheat that looks like a protein in the lining of the joints. So the immune system goes after the particles that don't look like food, and the joints get the same attack. This isn't celiac or allergy, I think, but a problem of digestion.

I'm totally off gluten now, but could never have guessed that wheat, etc., was causing my joint trouble. It's a delayed effect. Just last Tuesday, I goofed and ate something from a can. It had been processed in a plant that also processes wheat products. I could tell that day that I'd eaten wheat, because of IBS symptoms. But the pain didn't happen until 3 days later. It took a couple of days for the pain to lessen, and I still have some now, Sunday.

It's a real hassle to change eating habits, but for me the benefits are worth it. Not only less pain, but I lost weight, no longer have reflux disease, and most of my CFS/FM symptoms lessened.

I highly recommend anyone with joint problems to gut it out for a couple of weeks minimum, and see what happens when gluten is totally avoided. There's gluten free products for making a lot of things, and I've found it takes a week or so to lose cravings for what the taste buds are used to, and then it's not so bad. I don't even miss bread anymore, imagine that!

Hope this helps.
  13. Ouch4017

Ouch4017 New Member

Hi everyone and thank you for all of your help. I'm going to check with my doc about the patch to see if that gives relief. Just so you all know, I've also started using a spray product found at Walgreens called Stopain Extra Strength. It REALLY helps until my percoset kicks in and it helps me fall asleep at night because it temporarly relieves the pain. I really appreciate all the advice and will check into some of your remidies. Thanks a bunch. Christine.