Severe leg pain with left leg draging.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by moma, Nov 24, 2002.

1. moma

moma New Member

I am new to the board. I was diagnosed with fibro. back in Jan. About 4 months ago my legs started acting up , numbness & pain downsides of legs, and svere pain in calves. I have been off work ever since.
    Doctors keep disagreeing on problem with legs. They all agree I have fibromyalgia, but can't agree with what is wrong with my legs. Soooo frustrating! The further I walk the weaker I get and my legs buckle at my knees. Do any of you have this problem? Neuoro Dr. did EMG and ordered MRI. EMg showed pinched discs and MRI showed 2 small bulging Discs. Then the surgen said Raidioligst read it wrong and That Neuro DR. read EMG wrong. Surgen said it is Fibromyalgia. Got frustrated , went to Rheumitoid DR. at Cleveland Clinic who 's main interests is fibromyalgia. He said my problem with legs is not fibromyalgia, but that I do have fibromyalgia. He sent me to a Neuro DR. The Neuro Dr. said he thinks it might be stress. He gave me a 500 question test to take .The only reason I am depressed is because no one can sovle the problem. I had an MRI where I live but it did not show MS> Is it true that I might have to have a spinal tap to know for sure? Also I still get numbness in the left side of my face where I had Bells palsy back in April . I get real bad stinging in my spine also. Do any of you have these problems associated with fibromyalgia? Or does it sound like something else also? I had to use a wheel cahir to Christmas shop because I can't walk very far. Thak you for any response!!!
  2. moma

moma New Member

I am new to the board. I was diagnosed with fibro. back in Jan. About 4 months ago my legs started acting up , numbness & pain downsides of legs, and svere pain in calves. I have been off work ever since.
    Doctors keep disagreeing on problem with legs. They all agree I have fibromyalgia, but can't agree with what is wrong with my legs. Soooo frustrating! The further I walk the weaker I get and my legs buckle at my knees. Do any of you have this problem? Neuoro Dr. did EMG and ordered MRI. EMg showed pinched discs and MRI showed 2 small bulging Discs. Then the surgen said Raidioligst read it wrong and That Neuro DR. read EMG wrong. Surgen said it is Fibromyalgia. Got frustrated , went to Rheumitoid DR. at Cleveland Clinic who 's main interests is fibromyalgia. He said my problem with legs is not fibromyalgia, but that I do have fibromyalgia. He sent me to a Neuro DR. The Neuro Dr. said he thinks it might be stress. He gave me a 500 question test to take .The only reason I am depressed is because no one can sovle the problem. I had an MRI where I live but it did not show MS> Is it true that I might have to have a spinal tap to know for sure? Also I still get numbness in the left side of my face where I had Bells palsy back in April . I get real bad stinging in my spine also. Do any of you have these problems associated with fibromyalgia? Or does it sound like something else also? I had to use a wheel cahir to Christmas shop because I can't walk very far. Thak you for any response!!!
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi, welcome to our world! I think my legs are about the only thing that have not been too big a problem. I do get pain in the knees sometimes, but usually a good rub and some heat takes care of that.

I am totally confused with a lot of what you wrote from my personal experience with Fibro. I have had this for 20 years now.

I am going to let those who have more experience with tests and also that spinal stinging you described. I get it, but not unless I am sitting too long in one place. I don't feel that is what you are describing though.

Anyway, we do have some wonderful friendly, well informed people here, and I hope you get some of your questions answered tonight, if not then tomorrow. The weekends and holidays are slow on the board.

I am big on alternative meds, supplements, herbs, and anything that will keep me away from the medical profession!

Again, welcome to the board, and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. cupimick

cupimick Member

Hi there,

Just to let you know that my main symptom of this dd is severe throbbing (ache like) pain in my calves and in most of my musles, also the muscles in my arms ache just as bad. Like right now, my calves are aching real bad like I did a marathon walk. its so perplexing. well, you have come to a great site with supportive people.

Take care ,

Deanna
  5. Joannie

Joannie New Member

I have the same problem with my legs and spine. It is scary and hard to deal with but it has been almost three year for me. I have thought it was a bulging/ herniated disc but many Doctors and many MRI's say otherwise. I know how flusterating it becomes. I don't know much about the MS or spinal tap (sorry) but I do know about the back pain and the numbness and weakness to the legs. I can't shop anywhere without carts due to needing the support of the cart to lean on.
    I can truly sympothize with you and I know your fear, I have it too. Nothing worse then waking in the morning with fear to move due to severe spinal pain. I have found that flexeral helps the most with the pain. Don't know what you use.
    Good luck to you.
    Joanie
  6. Val

Val New Member

to a T.For months before I was told I had F.M my left leg dragged, felt heavy as if it was wading through treacle.
    Pain down both legs but most pain in left one. I felt embarrased when I went out. People would ask me what was wrong and I didn't have any answers. Thought it was something to do with having a Hysterectomy. I haemorrhaged
    when coming out of theatre and they manhandled me when they rushed me back. But then again it may have been a symptom of F.M. just showing itself. I was in agony with back pain the days after, far more than you would expect from that op.
    I get numbness/tingles working up the side of my neck up the side of my face and to the top of my head. I feel it moving upwards usually one side but sometimes both. My arms
    ach, the left one more so. It tingles, go numb as if I have been lying on it and stopped the circulation. When I could drive (before I had to give up work and was put on all my meds)
    my left arm felt heavy and would drop down off the steering wheel onto my lap. I would have to move it back on the wheel but it would do the same thing again.
    Moma, I hope this has helped, knowing there is someone else who has it and understands exactly what you are going through. Doctors say all the symptoms I have described have nothing to do with my back but I think it has.
    I have just gone on 'Pain Killer Patches in the hope I can reduce my oral meds as I have a pre Cancerous Oesophagus (That has nothing to do with my F.M.)
    I wish you as pain free a day as possible, my heart goes out to you as I know what you are feeling physically (and mentally) you just want to know WHY is your body doing this.
    May your guiding star be bright...Val.