severe lower rib cage pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tes, Oct 3, 2002.

1. tes

tes New Member

Have had fms for about 8 years now and have had some horrible symptoms. Chest pains, breathing problems and the list goes on. I have developed a new symptom and I was wondering if anyone else experiences this. I have lower rib cage pain below the breast and goes all the way down to my waist. It can be pretty severe. I have done tests and so far nothing is showing up. Please help.
  2. tes

tes New Member

Have had fms for about 8 years now and have had some horrible symptoms. Chest pains, breathing problems and the list goes on. I have developed a new symptom and I was wondering if anyone else experiences this. I have lower rib cage pain below the breast and goes all the way down to my waist. It can be pretty severe. I have done tests and so far nothing is showing up. Please help.
  3. shannon

shannon Guest

Hi Tes, Yes I have that as well. That is one of my worst areas. My best friend has it as well but in both her ribs. We have something called costocongitius or something like that. have no idea how to spell it but you sound like a good canadite for that...my oh my is the spelling awful tonight. Also in time you may discover if you don't already lots of little lumps or masses in the ribs themselves.
  4. lea

lea Member

I wish I had an easy answer or reply for you. It seems like you've costochondritis ?sp
    Only a good chiropractor may be able to help--I am still looking.
    Some people recommend heat, others ice; massage or also EMS (electrical muscle stimulus--at a chiro's office or tens unit (must be taught not to do over heart) may help.
    best,
    lea
  5. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

Costochodritis? Is THAT what that is?
    My Doc. calls them Muscle Spasms. When they get really bad
    he just gives me a Muscle Relaxant.
    Works ok for a while. I have to be careful about lifting heavy things or moving the wrong way.
    They can get so bad they take my breath away!
    Had this problem for about ten yrs. now. Way before I was diagnosed with Fibro......

LOVE,
    HOUSEOFBLUES[This Message was Edited on 10/03/2002]
  6. tes

tes New Member

Hi Shannon,
    Thanks for responding to my concern. I was just wondering if your pain is in the chest or below the breasts.
    I have pains in my chest and I've had this problem for about 8 years but now my pain is in the ribs to the right and left of the stomach area. It is so bad right now. Is yours in this area as well. Also, I find that I pass alot of gas when I'm having a bad flare up. Does this sound normal with rib pain. thanks[This Message was Edited on 10/03/2002]
  7. clueless

clueless New Member

I have been having the rib cage pain and lately rolling gas and pressure and pain under the ribs. Recently my stomach it self has been so sore and upset that I can`eat much and have lost about 6 #. It seems there is always something. My teeth all ache since cleaning because the soft tissues in the gums are affected. I was surprised to find my dentist is learned on FMS.Sure wish the doctor I have at the time was. Clueless
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Dear Tes - It does indeed sound like Costo Chondritis. I am sitting here right now with the exact same pains you describe, in my ribs on both sides, under the breasts. This particular flare has been going on for about 4 months now. This is an "itis", so it does involve inflammation and aspirin type drugs can help if your stomach can tolerate them. Muscle relaxers and heating pads also help. A good sports bra helps me as I am very large busted, and that tends to make Costo Chondritis hang on and on forever...all the bouncing I guess. Regular bras are unbearably painful while this is going on. Try to restrict the movement in that part of your body and let it rest as much as you can.
    Also, re: breathing problems. It is most likely the tightness of your chest muscles from the Costo Chondritis, but some FMSers develop RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy),so if you have not gone to your doctor and asked to be checked out for it, please do so. RSD requires treatment sooner rather than later to prevent it worsening. I do not have RSD and am no expert on it, so ask your doctor. Best of luck.

Dear Clueless - It sounds like you may have Costo Chondritis as well (see ideas above for that), but with the addition of Gastritis. I am also dealing with this now and it aggravates the Costo like crazy! Every inch of my digestive tract is sore and I can feel where the food is moving through. I'm not at all a fan of anti-depressants, but this is one problem they can really help. If you prefer less drastic treatment, I use Pepto Bismol, Gas-X, and Immodium, and I take extra Xanax until my tummy calms down. Avoid spicey or acidy foods until it calms down, and don't eat too much raw food for a few days. To prevent future gastritis, try to figure out what foods you may be sensitive to as that is the most common cause of it. For instance, sauces and condiments and all beans and legumes can set me off. Also, and I posted on this somewhere else here today....if you are of Celtic ancestry (Welsh, Irish, English or Scots) ask your doctor to check your Vitamin B12 level to make sure you don't have pernicious anemia, which can also cause chronic gastritis.
    Hope you feel better soon,
    Klutzo
  9. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

Alot of people don't know about that but should. It is extremely prevelent in certain populations. Children is one of them. My daughter was diagnosed at 8 years old. Getting treatment ASAP is essential.

If not that, I (this is me--not telling you what to do) try and find a goodmassage therapist that is trained to find the source of your pain. My guess is that the source is of the pain is not where you feel it. If you can find yourself a good one, I'd bet my bottom dollar that you could find out what was going on. The only warning is that fining a good one may mean money out of your pocket. There is nothing more frustrating than experiencing pain just because you breathe in and out!!!! Best of wishes.

Lynda B.