Severe lung congestion

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shell, Mar 19, 2007.

1. shell

shell New Member

Hello all!

I have had problems in the past with lung congestion (I am a CFS'er). But in the last 8 months or so it has really been severe. The mornings are the worst, I almost choke coughing up things. The rest of the day it is here and there... but sometimes have the feeling like I can't breathe. I have gone to the Dr. several times and they listen to my lungs but don't seem alarmed.

What can I do - supplements or antibiotic etc to help myself? I am pregnant so I might be limited on that one.

THANKS EVERYBODY!! Can't get any help from the DOC!

Michelle
  2. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

A green/yellow discharge is a bacterial infection. Clear is more likely allergy.

Colloidal silver, grapefruit seed extract and simple salt water are great sinus snuffers. You can also use an old sinus spray atomizer bottle. For grapefruit seed extract, I use 5 drops and the rest filtered water. It burns a little but it breaks up the infection.

Run a humidifier to ease the lungs and sinuses. Breath in some steamy water (don't boil on the stove!). Add a few drops of Eucalyptus or tea tree or camphor.

Vick's or metholatum work fine too but the paraffin will hold in the heat and will explode steam bubbles when heated.

Try some spicy Indian food: Tumeric (curcurmin) is doing wonders for my Epstein-Barr virus. My daughter is studying dietetics, she says that Tumeric kills a lot of pathogens.
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

up top again.

I've seen people mention this as a complaint of Both CF and Fibro.
    I have FM for many yrs,...and suspect CF as of the last 5 yrs. I too have alot of nasty chest congestion.
    like you,...worse when I first wake up.
    I blame some of mine on smoking.(makes sense)
    But I think some of it gotta just be from the illness itself.
    That OTC med. Guaifenisin is suppose to break it up fast. (and does!) I use it occasionally.
    But being pregnant I don't think its something you can take.??? not sure.
    although I do recall one time during a pregnancy the doc. allowing me to take Robitussin for a bad cold.
    better ask tho~

Hope this helps
    :) Tandy
  4. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

There are a lot of herbs you can use that will help break up phlem and tone the pulminary system. Since you're pregnant you'd probably want to use Mullein. It's a mild expectorant and will help tone the lung tissues. Licorice root is also a very good expectorant but and herbs like Coltsfoot and Goldenseal would be great for you but don't take those while pregnant. But try the Mullein if you can...just make sure to get a good quality herb...

all the best to you.