Severe Muscle Spasms

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeresaBnGA, Jan 2, 2003.

1. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

Hi,
    I was curious to find out if anyone else experiences the same as me. Everyone knows what a "charlie horse" is right? For those who don't a "charlie horse" is the cramp you get in your calf muscle and can be excruciating pain!
    Anyway, I get those same cramps in the muscles of my stomach and they can drag me to my knees!! They leave my belly tender and sore for days on end and nothing seems to help them. Not even muscle relaxers. I also get them in the muscles that run from my spine to my sides and it feels as though someone has kicked me to the floor.
    Anyone else have this painful problem?
    Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  2. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

I don't get them in my abdomen, just every where else! It takes forever for them to subside and not any one thing helps. It must be awful in the belly - your center. I've been doing some at-home chakra work, trying to clear mine. I think it is helping some!

I've never liked getting a charlie horse, and now I really hate them. Hope yours get better soon. Lisa
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

I have gotten those before.Seems to be when my low back is in a spasm and its effecting my sciatic nerve.I had that just a couple days ago but now I just feel pain in the low back/tailbone....butt. This is very painful for me-so I can relate.It sometimes makes me think its my kidney b/c of the location.(side stitch)but geez,those pains can take your breathe away!!!Its scarey!! I have bad disks along with the FM,so I'm not sure which one is the culprit.
    Hope someone else comes along to help you out more.
    Warm regards,
    Tracey
  4. karen55

karen55 New Member

a while back. I was getting them several times a day and night, they were practically "jerking" me out of the bed at night. Someone (don't remember who it was) suggested that it could be a potassium deficiency. I started taking potassium supplements and I quit having them. When I saw my rheumy on Monday I told her this and she told me you need to be careful with potassium, however, she asked me to stop taking the supplements for a few weeks to see if the spasms returned; if they do I'm to start taking it again for a few weeks and repeat this cycle. You could try taking potassium supplements and see if that helps.

Karen
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have had spasms in my stomach, but they were from IBS, ulcers, it that what you are talking about?

I have also had Fibro spasms in my back, up by the shoulders, they hurt so bad, the 'charlie horse' would describe them just right!

I take Pro Energy (Malic Acid and Magnesium Glycniate), also ZMA (zinc, magnesium, and B-6). The Pro Energy I have been taking now for two years, the ZMA for 11 months. I don't get spasms very often anymore(both these supplements can be bought here at Pro Health).

I also take "Natural Calm" again,it is 'magnesium citrate', this is a powdered form that you disolve in warm water, it will help the back spasms in a few hours. BUT it can give you diarrhea if you take too much or too often. I take this a few times a week, or if I feel the spasm starting. Natural Calm can be purchased at a health food store.

As for the Potassium, I eat baby food fruits for this, I am afraid of the potassium supplements as I am concerned of over doing it!

Hope you get some relief soon, that is awesome pain.

Shalom, Shirl

6. dlizard

dlizard New Member

the excrutiating spasms .... I get em in my belly and sides , in my diaphragm... I had em so bad in my calves that you could literally see the muscle "V-ing" in... it was totally visual for anyone who cared to look.... the only thing that has ever even begun to touch this discomfort and break the spasm is valium..... Good luck!
  7. Breel

Breel New Member

Hello all...............in answer to the question about muscle spasms. yes, I have had them a few times in the last month. They seem more frequent now. I know about potassium deficiency and it is probably some of that plus the fibro. I usually have them in my sleep and have to get up because they are in my calves of my legs. It is by far VERY PAINFUL and it takes me a while to work it out of my calf. I have to rub my leg and massage it until it leaves. It has also been in my foot and toes. Hope we can all get past this one and just by hearing from others I can feel like I am certainly not the only one that has that symptom, along with all my other symptoms. God Bless you all! Breel:)
  8. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

Thanks to all that responded, I really appreciate it! At least I know I am not alone in this "thing"! I appreciate all the advice and am willing to try anything to keep this from happening so frequently. I wish you all the best and pray that the pain goes away for all of us.
    Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  9. Stephie17

Stephie17 New Member

I get those "charlie horses" in my legs every night. They are a huge cause of my restless nights. I have started taking a OTC remedy for leg cramps but I can still feel the muscles in my legs tightening up at night. I am not sure if this is just another symptom to my CFS or something new. It is nice to know that if I am in misery, I at least have company..

be well..
    stepheie
  10. catgal

catgal New Member

Hi Teresa~~I used to suffer with stomach,calf, foot, and toe cramps like charlie horses--very painful. I also have restless leg syndrome. However, my physician put me on .5mg klonopin one at night--and I haven't had any since. Plus, it helps me sleep better, and I don't wake up so stiff and sore.

Have you tried klonopin? Might be worth a trial period to see if it helps you.

Hope you get to feeling better. Best Wishes & Warm Hugs, Carol...
  11. DawnOsborne

DawnOsborne New Member

Theresa! Thank god for you! I really thought I was the only one who gets charlie horses in the stomach. I've been going nuts with it, it hurts soooooo much. I've tried to reseach on the internet and never find anything. Today, I read your post from 1/2/03? I have no insurance and have been afraid to go to the doctor about it anyway... Have you heard anything more on the subject? Does your doc say it's part of FM? I've never been diagnosed with it, but have so many symptoms... I'm 32 and always tired, my neck often feels like it won't even hold up my head! I get shaky, weak feeling, and NAUSEAUS sp? often. Mother of 3 -- 10, 7 and 5.5 (2 girls and a boy), have recently left my husband and am raising the kids on my own. I hold down a fulltime job... Sometimes things just get to be too much, you know? Anyway, I'm rambling. I look forward to reading the posts here. Thanks for your time... Dawn