Severe neck and shoulder pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TXPeach, Aug 26, 2008.

1. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

Can anyone offer me any advice for severe neck and shoulder pain? This has been going on for several months, but it has been much worse the last 3 or 4 days.

I've tried a heating pad, but that hasn't seemed to help much. The pain is excruciating!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  2. gongee

gongee New Member

I relate can to shoulder and neck pain. I was told that my shoulder pain was referred from my neck. I do have disc problems and was supppose to have a nerve block done at the first of the year, but because of having gall bladder surgery which turned out to be a nightmare, I had to put it off for months. My pain contiously worsen and the heating pad began to do nothing to elevate the pain.

I am dealing with what they call a frozen shoulder. There are three stages to this; one, when it is freezing and pain is very evident, second, is when the shoulder has frozen (the pain is gone, but you can't move your arm) and lastly, the stage I am in now, the the thawing out stage. I can honestly say, that the pain now is 100% worse than in the beginnng and physical therapy for this is a long time.

I am not saying this is your problem, but pleaese have it get checked out as soon as you possibly can. I wouldn't wish this on my worse enemy.

Good luck to you and may all of your pain subside.

Take care of yourself,

3. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I feel your pain!

The same thing happened to me after sitting for a long time doing taxes in February. My neck and shoulders are still not like they were prior to that, but they are better....

I tried chiropractic care for 7 visits which did not help me at all. I was starting to live on ibuprofen, so I had to help myself.....

I looked up physical therapy websites and found stretching exercises for the neck and shoulder muscles, which is when I started to feel better. I did them regularly throughout the day, starting each day with a very warm shower and stretching in the shower. I still do them as needed.

I had also started taking Ambien CR around the same time and after some trial and error I found that it did not cause my pain, but it was definitely making it worse...creating horrible headaches I stopped it.

I went to my regular MD (not my FM Dr) and I tried a non- drowsy muscle relaxer which did not help me.

I started paying more attention to my posture too. It is so easy to keep ones shoulders hunched up when on the computer, or to slouch forward. This causes increased pain of the neck and shoulders. I stopped all heavy lifting.

I used ice sometimes, and heat sometimes depending on what felt better.

I always avoid eating sugar and corn syrup since an elimination diet last year showed that they cause increased pain for me.

I called my FM Dr and I started taking an antiviral med again at the beginning of June 2008 until Aug 25, 2008. I took Famvir (expensive) last year for 6 months. This time I took acyclovir 800 mg four times daily (cheap)along with ranitidine 300 mg twice daily to cut stomach acid to make the acyclovir more absorbable.

I made sure I had a bed pillow that supports my neck properly without cocking my head upwards.

Over the last few months, my neck/shoulder/head pain has improved alot by doing these things.

Hope you find some relief.
  4. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hello. i started having severe pain in the neck and shoulders after i got mono 15 yrs ago. i assumed it was an EBV brain infection but no one listened at the i found someone who is.

might be worth looking into.

5. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. I have some things to try now.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.
    God bless,
  6. Empower

Empower New Member

I think mine is a result of arthritis in the neck and disc fusion

I have tried:

Physical Therapy
    Myofascia Release Therapy

It all made it worse!!!!

Now I am working on stretches for upper back and neck

Ultrasound therapy would feel good for awhile

Massage does help, but who can afford it??

I am also trying Omega Three Fish Oils

7. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I'm thinking it might be polymyalgia rheumatica - try googling it and see if you think that might be the problem - if you are not sensitive to meds, docs can treat that.

Love Bunchy x