severe pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by loreha, Oct 11, 2008.

1. loreha

loreha New Member

I'm on the Fentanyl Patch 25 for thelast 1 1/2 years after trying many medications prior. It helped for a while. However, my pain is so severe right now and I wonder if I can take something for breakthrough pain in addition ?
    Any advice is much appreciated. I also take 150mg of trazodone at bedtime and 2 mg of Ativan later at night for sleep.

Thank you. I'm desperate.

Thanks, Lore
  2. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

I've been to 2 rheumatologists for fibro ever since my diagnosis and both the former and the current one prescribed
    Tramadol for break-through pain 50 mg three times a day.
    However, it is only marginally effective. The trick is you have to take it before you get to hurting too much.

Good luck!
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi Lore
    I am not familiar with what you can or should take with the Fentanyl Patch - but it is something you do need toand should talk to your Dr. about. Many of us who take long acting meds need something for breakthrough pain.

Tramadol is not a very strong medication. It is listed for moderate pain. I took it for a very short amount of time as it did absolutely nothing for me. I would guess that if you're on something as strong as the Fentanyl Patch the Tramadol probably wouldn't touch your pain. Of course, we are all different, and it might very well help you.

In the meds you took prior, were there any that were somewhat successful in relieving your pain?

I take Oxycontin, then Roxicodone (Oxycodone without Tylenol)for breakthrough, sometimes Percocet (a weaker dose) if the pain doesn't warrant the stronger med.

Definitely talk to your doctor about this. I would think that he/she would be open to it, since you're already on a pretty strong medication.
    Good Luck - let us know how it turns out!