Severe Raynaud's Syndrome in Toes Only

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fibrocyclist, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Fibrocyclist

Fibrocyclist New Member

i live in the northeast...developed raynaud's syndrome about 5 yrs ago and it is getting worse. Only in my toes though. I can be in a warm bed with wool blankets, and wearing 2 pairs of socks and the tips of my toes still turn white, have no feeling, and then swell and get purplish red marks on them and are very painful.

i know it's from the cold. I did not have this in AZ. Does anyone else just have it in the toes??

I have to stick my feet in between the radiator unit to keep my toes from literally freezing.
  2. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Hi fibrocyclist,

Keep those toes warm at all times.

Other factors that can cause Raynaud flares: caffeine/stimulants, smoking, hormonal variations, and stress.

If your symptoms are acutely severe, there are meds available.

And yes, the pattern of Raynaud's can be highly variable. Some people get it only in toes, others in fingers only, some nose tip only, some entire hands/feet or any combination.

Best wishes.
  3. Suze

Suze New Member

My Raynaud's began in my feet (toes), but some years ago spread to my hands as well. The feet are easy to deal with. I recommend that you buy disposable foot warmers--the kind with adhesive that stick to the bottom of the toe portion of your socks. Toastie Toes are one brand. I wear a pair every day.

At night, I go to bed with a microwavable gel pad. The kind I buy ($15 at Walmart) holds its heat for many hours.

I wish I knew of a solution for my hands. It's only December, and they're covered with sores already, some of them split open.
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

OMG,... you need a rice bag or what I call a beanie to warm up in the microwave for your feet at night. I have Raynauds in my feet and hands and LIVE with my beanie.

My kids hafta laugh at me cause once in awhile I can't find my beanie, and I'll be searching the house high and low asking them if they seen my beanie anywhere.
    Its a must have for cold feet.
    I bought mine at a craft show/fair but my SIL says you can make your own by using an old sock filled half way with reg. old fashion white rice.
    you tie the sock off and heat it the microwave for about 1 and half minutes.(or slightly more if its not hot enough) it'll stay warm for quite awhile. then reheat it as you need it warmer.
    My hands are the worse for me. I'm fine indoors but going outside is rough.
    any temp below 65 or so and I'm cold.
    Hope this helps~
  5. Suze

Suze New Member

Those bags filled with rice or other grains don't hold the heat nearly as long as the gel pad I described above. I've used both, and there's no comparison. If I put a warm gel pad in my bed at 11:00 p.m.,, it's still somewhat warm when I take it out the next morning.

I do use a rice bag occasionally throughout the day, but I'm constantly reheating it in the microwave. I must get myself another gel pack.....