severe shoulder neck,back pain, can't stand it anymore

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by octavia7, Nov 18, 2006.

1. octavia7

octavia7 New Member

Hi, I'm new here, I have fms,degenerative disc disease and so much more but for now I want some of your imput. My shoulder pain is so severe I can't stand it anymore. along with the pain i have numbness across my upper back, arm even my breast. My pain Dr. finally ordered an MRI but I'm waiting for the referral. The pain meds just take the edge off, I take avinza and oxycodone but nothing helps my shoulder pain. I've done injections and nerve blocks but with no luck. can't afford pt right now. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks

Octavia7
  2. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I was having bad neck, shoulder and back pain too. It is the worst pain. I couldn`t stand a car ride anymore. I finally went to a new orthopedic doctor and he has helped me alot. He said I had very bad myofacial pain. That combined with the FM was unbearable. He put me on a strong dose of predinsone for a week and sent me to physical therapy. It has really all helped so much.

Don`t give up, keep looking for answers. I prayed that I would find a doctor that would help me and my prayers were answered. Their is relief out there just don`t give up.

Sandy
  3. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I'm sorry to hear that you're in so much pain. I had neck/shoulder/rt. arm pain for many years and finally had to have an anterior cervical fusion done. Unfortunately, I haven't had a descent night's sleep since then and I'm still having neck/shoulder/rt. arm pain. However, I've heard some people say that it helped their pain. We're all different so we just never know.

I was in PT for a year after the surgery and all was healed but that didn't help either so I just have to deal with it.

I know that you can try moist heat on for 20 minutes, and off for an hour or so, per my dr. That helped me more than anything.

I hope you can get this under control and hopefully, you will get the MRI and your dr. can explain what the problem is. Since you're in so much pain, and if your MRI shows something that needs repairing, take your MRI and Report and get a 2nd opinion. Then, if surgery is suggested, it's your decision, but it may be the best thing for you.

I do hope all of this will turn out good for you but until then, do the best you can to relieve the pain and I'm sure you'll receive some more good suggestions here from others.

Take Care,
    BlueSky555
  4. beachwalkerbill

beachwalkerbill New Member

Doyou hurt all over more than anywhere else?

I have been able to distinguish between FMS back pain and degenerative disk back pain lately. My disk pain starts in the low back across to above both hips. Then it will travel down the BACK of my legs.

My FMS pain radiates out from two points on either side of my spine then around to radiating above my knees the FRONT of my legs. Spinal blocks work well on the fore mentioned pain. but useless on the later.
    http://www.4fibromyalgia.com/fibromyalgia.html
    Good Luck

Bill
    P.S. You will discover a plethora of differing opinions concerning these points.
  5. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

octavia7, having lots of problrms with that now. Sounds like you are on the stronger types of pain meds,as I am. As I sit here, I have one of those heated rice packs around my neck. Feels so good when on and i run to heat it back up when off. Moist heat is a good one too, I justlove this wrap - it saves my life.

ALos, have they given you any lidoderm patches, you can acually put them in the exact place or places where it hurts the most.

give that a try... hoping it may give you a little relief, Take Care
    Kim