Severe Sinus Allergy problems, Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by unbalanced, Mar 22, 2006.

1. unbalanced

unbalanced New Member

For many years I have suffered sinus infections, & allergies. I constantly have a plugged nose & when I blow my nose there is blood especially in the morning & afternoon. My ears are always plugged as if I have a cold, my ears will "pop" once in awhile when I blow my nose, then plug right back up.

Over the past couple of years I noticed this has become worse. I recently went to my PCP & was given Z-Pac to fight the sinus infection that I was told I've had for quite some time.

A week after I finished that medication the sinus infection was still holding on, so I went back to my PCP. I told him Z-Pac has always worked wonderful anytime I've needed an antibiotic, but it didn't do a darn thing this time.

My PCP put me on Levquin 750mg for 10 days, & a 7 day pack of Methylprednisone. He said my sinusus were so inflammed that he couldn't even see into my sinus cavity!

So, here I am a month later & I still have a sinus infection!!!! Even after taking all these strong antibiotics. I feel very run down, tired, & nauseated. I'm courious to know if anyone else has this problem, & what has worked for you?

I am allergic to any type of Penicillin. I am amazed that I these antibiotics have not worked & the Prednisone only helped the inflammation for a short period of time!!

Any info. would be great, I'm courious to know if maybe the FM , MFPS could have something to do with why this is not clearing up.

Thanks to all who can help answer these questions!!
  2. FoggyDayz

FoggyDayz New Member

I am in the same boat. I have even had sinus surgery (twice) where they went in and removed scar tissue from so many infections and I still get them (I am fighting one now). My best advice is to try to stay on top of them before they get too bad - use allergy meds regularly, use saline spray all the time to keep your sinuses flushed out. Per a ENT that I saw, I take 1000 mg of Viatmin C every day and try to stay very hydrated, it has helped.

Hope others have some more info for ya. I know that many people who suffer from FM have chronic sinus issues.

Good Luck!
  3. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I never had sinus issues until about three years ago. Then I started with the severe sinus headaches, earaches, and fluid in my ears. My teeth would just ache! Then four weeks ago I started treating my candida and the sinus issue has gone away! Didn't know it could be from yeast, but I heard this from many others as well.
    dar
  4. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

I went off Zyrtec for allergies a few years ago cause they cost so darn much. Then I started getting more and more sinus infections. The last two years I've also had salivary gland infections.

So I decided to go on the Zyrtec again and see if it helps. Got the darn pills a week ago and so far I can tell a difference with the sinus.

I looked on the internet for the drug from Canada, and I found the generic, cetrizine, so I ordered 90 pills for 25.00, the brand is 90 pills for 100.00. Didn't get them yet, but I am sure they will work fine.

Hope this helps
    Granny
  5. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

I had sinus/septum surgery in 2003 and it really didn't help much, in fact they got worse afterward Originally my right side had 70% airway on a good day and the left side had about 30% airway, so between the two nostrils I had about half the breathability that one should have.

In a nutshell, I have had many infections since then, in fact I never had a sinus infection before surgery. I mainly got the surgery since my airways were blocked due to my deviated septum. I've had really bad problems with swelling, allergies and polyps have developed from the severe swelling. They've tried antibiotics of all kinds and strengths in conjunction with steroids (shots, oral and nebulizer).

I recently noticed that a lot of the swelling has gone down simply because the humidity is a more comfortable level in the house. During the winter months, when my sinuses usually act up the most, the humidity is ~30% or so (50-705 is considered comfortable). Evidently the dry air really aggravates my sinuses. For some reason when it's warmer and the a/c is in use, the humidity gravitates to a more comfortable level. When the heat is run during the winter the place gets really dry.

All to say, it's frustrating and a lot of things can aggravate it. However if you notice any kind of trend, especially if they are worse during one part of the year, check the humidity level. If it's very dry, it may be aggravating things and keeping your sinuses inflamed.
  6. lolee

lolee New Member

But then several years ago I tried the Atkins diet. Well I couldn't stay the course with diet, but I did get through the induction phase, you know "NO CARBS".

Well, when I started to feeling like this was too much, too hard, too whatever, I went out and a nice plate of past. Within, say 30 minutes, I had a headache, an approching migraine, and I couldn't breathe and I FELT like I had gained 75 lbs!!!!

I was searching ALL OVER for my sinus pills when it dawned on me I couldn't even remember the last time I had needed them.

Same thing happened the next week when I ate a bowl of white rice. I know I do better on high protein, low carb, but it just comes naturally now though.

Well, I no longer eat past or white rice. And the ONLY thing I have to use on my nose is a saline spray to keep themmoist.

Hope this helps!!
  7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

You should be checked for food allergies, which can cause sinus congestion. Common ones are dairy and wheat.

Also, you should be checked for environmental allergies. About 1-1/2 years ago I had chronic sinus infections, was on antibiotics 3 times in a row and finally asked my doctor to refer me for allergy testing. She was reluctant to do so but finally did and I discovered I was allergic to dust mites. They live in bedding, carpet, etc. I got a special mattress cover, special pillow and pillow cover, and washed all my bedding in hot water and it made a big difference.

As others have suggested, a nasal rinse is also good. But I would definitely get tested for allergies, for if they are the cause or at least part of it, no amount of antibiotics are going to help.

Mary
  8. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

I am suffering from a sinus infection which has also attacked my head, chest, throat and upper respiratory system. Yesterday I could barely talk, my head was in pain and my chest was tightened, I had fever, etc. I started an antibiotic last night and I have been feeling relief, but my head is still throbbing.

I have had a few nasal polypectomies where they have cleaned out my sinuses in the hospital. I have also had a few in the ENT's office.

My sinus problems started long before I had FMS.

I also have been going for allergy shots for 17 1/2 years to help control the polyps from growing back.

I use saline spray called ENTSOL (excellent) and Flonase and Astelin, once in the AM and once in the evening to also help keep the passages clear.

No matter how many sinus infections I get, they don't get easier to deal with. They all make me miserable. It is also getting harder and harder to find an antibiotic to get rid of the infection. I too, have been on the medpak, to reduce the swelling. My ENT tries to keep the prednisone down to a minimum as it is a very dangerous drug.

I feel for you, cause I have been there (and I am there right this minute) so MANY times. It really stinks. I wish someone would be able to help me get out of this vicious cycle.

My ENT is perplexed as what to do next with me also.

Wishing you well. Maybe changing what you eat would make a difference. Some of my friends have suggested it to me also.

9. kch64

kch64 New Member

You need to start washing your nasal passages out several times a day. Once the infection is gone, you will need to do it for maintenance.

Have you been to an allergist for tests to see what your allergic to?

Type in "Grossan Irrigator Tip" online. It hooks to a water pik. If you don't have a water pik, they're not too expensive.

It's worth it.

The instructions for the tip are included. It's very easy to use. It burns just a little, but it will help clear out the passages.

Kendra
  10. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Me too! I have plugged Sinuses and ears too. My Dr said I had Allergy Induced Asthma,and put me on Singulair once a day. It helps but it's sooo expensive. I haven't been taking them all the time b/c of that. Nothing else helps me.
    Hugs Shirley