Sexism in diagnosis of Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marcygirl, Nov 1, 2008.

1. marcygirl

marcygirl New Member

My landlady came over today telling me that her husband had just been admitted to the hospital a few hours earlier. She said he has back problems (so do I), but as she was describing his symptoms I realized she was also describing my symptoms - the symptoms of Fibromyalgia. I said, "It sounds like Fibromyalgia", her response was, "What's that?. Obviously, no one had suggested this as a possible diagnosis. She said, "He hurts all over. It makes him walk crunched over and when he presses on different parts of his body, it hurts him". Yup, me too.

It made me wonder though if when women go into the doctor with specific symptoms, they are diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, but when men go in with the same specific symptoms, they are diagnosed with something else. Maybe, something more manly. If so, Fibromyalgia is treated as a Woman's disease and just another bout of those women are complaining again.

Sounds like sexism to me.
  2. marcygirl

marcygirl New Member

Oh, I do believe that men have it, I just wonder if doctors diagnose women with "fibromyalgia" and men with "severe back problems" with both having the same symptoms.
  3. vito1234

vito1234 New Member

i m 43 year old male and i was diagnosed 2 years ago