Shaking

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aberlaine, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I'm finding lately that my hands are shaking. It's causing me to drop things that I normally wouldn't drop. Also, my handwriting is becoming difficult to read.

Would this be a symptom of fibromyalgia? Does anyone else suffer from shaking hands? Could it be from medication?

Thanks for your input.

Gentle hugs,
    Nancy
  2. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

for Nancy.
    Mini
  3. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

my hands shake all the time anymore it seems, and I can only come up with that it is either due to a medication I am on or the fibro.

It has gotten so bad before that I have missed my mouth with the water bottle and spilled it all over me instead...same with forks.
    I haven't noticed much difference in my handwriting though, except for what types of pens and pencils I can use.
  4. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I drink only one cup of coffee in the morning. For a while I would get the shakes from it. And I mean heavy duty shakes. I quit using fake cream and avoid all artificial food and sweeteners. I no longer get the "shakes". And I also stopped using fragranced products. Everyone needs to start realizing how harmful synthetic chemicals really are. They affect every organ in our body. They cause us to be very slowly poisoned.
  5. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I drink two cups of decaf coffee in the morning. I use skim milk in it to lighten it up a bit. I do use Sweet 'n' Low instead of Equal. I'm about to order Stevia, since that's a natural sweetener.

I guess I should research the drugs I take to see if any of them cause hand trembling. Also, I should start a journal of the days/hours I notice the trembling. Maybe I can connect it to something. I feel like a research scientist since I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Hopefully someday there will be medical professionals who can answer these questions for us.

Thanks,
    Nancy
  6. Shalala

Shalala New Member

Yes I will have the shakes and drop things all the time. I am very careful handling anything glass (or breakable). I have very limited manual dexterity and cannot manipulate anything in my hand. Since my son is moved out I am seriously considering going to paper plates and plastic ware. Washing dishes is a painful nightmare for me. I cannot afford a dishwasher. Standing and washing dishes is very hard on me too. Running the vacuum is very painful ... but then again WHAT isn't painful for us? Folding laundry is really hard for me. I do not iron. My house is a mess all of the time because I just cannot take care of it (properly) and I sure can't afford a cleaning lady. I have a kitty and I am really struggling to take care of her litter box. My son used to bring in several of the big containers of litter and open them and stack them for me so I could "dip" out what I needed instead of trying to lift and pour. I do the scooping thing but that is getting hard on my back, arms and wrists. Sorry I got carried away ... lol. I had dropped a few of my nice glass casseroles so now that it is just me I try to use smaller, less heavy things. I love my cast iron pans but cannot lift them or clean them. I tried making fudge this year and you have to stir it constantly for 7 minutes and that was soooooooooooooooo painful. I have been dealing with all of this for years and my family thinks I am just lazy.
  7. suzannekart

suzannekart New Member

I have had problem with this for some time now. It used to be when some meds. did it. I think most medications I look at have this as a side effect. A couple of years a dr. put me on a med and the shakes got so much worse. I told him and he said it was simply not a side effect of that drug. I looked at the list of side effects and sure enough it was there. He would not give me anything different for sleep so I did not feel like I had a choice. Sleep and shakes or no sleep and no shakes. I felt like a hostage. Anyway I found a new dr. and he took me off the med right away. The shakes never went away. I am an artist and to tremble like this is not ok. I have for months asked for something to releive this but drs. kept saying it might be something else. Well a couple of weeks ago I had an MRI it was totally normal. Tomorrow I have an appt. with my dr. I am hoping to get some help now. I hate to have to write a check or anything else in front of anyone. My hadwriting looks like I am 150 years old. I found the post about shoulder knots and pain interesting. I would like to know more. Thanks for the great thread!!Suzanne
  8. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

Yes, Prickles, that's where I carry most of my tension. I'll have to try consciously to relax my shoulder muscles several times a day and see what happens.

I think I've broken most of my glass stuff. I've been drinking from a plastic glass until this morning when I grabbed for it and missed (or caught it on the edge of the desk) sending a flood of water onto my computer chair and floor. After fuming and cleaning up the mess, I immediately got myself a plastic drinking "glass" with a cover and a straw in the middle. Now, if I drop it, water won't splash over everything. And, it won't break.

I've also bought Tupperware plates and use them, or paper plates most of the time.
  9. Hairymel

Hairymel New Member

Not only my hands...lately my insides seem to be shaking all the time. I hate it. My kids notices my hands when I reach to hand them a drink or a plate. "Mommy must be sick today look how her hand is shaking" from my 7yr son.
  10. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

Coincidently my Dad just got diagnosed with these tremors. We were all worried because his hands shake so much and his handwriting is so different and impossible to read. We were scared of Parkinson's since his mother died from its complications. But his doc insists that it is the familial tremors.

The condition is neurological but while not curable is not harmful either. It runs in families so might be worth looking into. Nancy
  11. penstemon

penstemon New Member

My husband's hands shake. At first he was told that it was familial tremors. But other doctors say that it's just his blood sugar. It does help the shaking if he eats.