Share your best way to stay cool in the summer:

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Beadlady, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I have alot of those blue flexible ice packs--at home and in the freezer at both my jobs.
  2. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

My best way to stay cool is to not move and have the air on and my fan blowing on me. LOL Once I start sweating it is all over. My brain seems to not have an "off" button. For me prevention is the most important thing.

This Saturday I have an outside wedding and reception to attend. The bride and groom did not rent portable airconditioners for the tent. I am already dreading it. As hot as it has been, I may last 5 minutes! My girlfriend said to wear a cool vest under my dress. Oh that would look lovely! I will take some ice packs with me and hope for the best.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Down here in the tropics, well, actually, sub-tropics, we live and die by our A/C. I honestly don't know how people lived here before A/C and mosquito control. My Mom used to tell me to run cold water over my wrists to cool down; it works. Also, you can run a little cold water in the tub and stick your feet in it. Mom also used to put a pan of ice water in front of the fan and the breeze coming off the fan was as good as A/C if you sat in front of it. Drinking ice water helps too.

I figure if our power were to go out, I would put ice in a tub and put sheets on top in water-tight bags. I could lie on one sheet and when it got warm, I could swap it out with one from the ice.

After Hurricane Charley, it was still very windy, even after the rain left. I opened up the condo windows for cross ventilation. I even got in the shower and used the last of the hot water to wash my hair. I stood in the window and used my fingers to style my hair. It's amazing what we find we can do when we have to.

Love, Mikie
  4. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I grew up in Central Fl. and we didn't even notice the heat. I guess we were just used to it. We never had A/C in our homes or cars, and our cars were like ovens when we first got into them. No garage to keep it cool. It sat on the carport in the sun.

I remember once after I got married and was expecting my second baby, I got into the car to go to the doctor for my regular checkup and I passed out in the front seat. My b/p had dropped. Good thing I was on the way to the doc's. lol

The worst thing about the Fl. weather was the winter because the sudden change from intense heat to cold really got to us. I was colder there than I am in Tn. GB66
    [This Message was Edited on 07/06/2012]
  5. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Mikie, those are really good ideas. I will remember them. Where abouts do you live? I believe I would be the grumpiest lady around if I lived in the south. I live in Michigan and I can barely take the summer way up here!

Tomorrow I have an outdoor wedding and the temp is supposed to be between 90 and 100!. There is no airconditioning and it will be inside a tent! If I did not love this bride dearly there would be no way I would go. But, go I will and I will try not to be grumpy! Hugs, MicheleK