Share your favorite budget recipe

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by Beadlady, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I know many of us are learning to get away from take out meals so I think now would be a good time to share some of our budget recipes. I will start:

Round steak, stew meat or what ever you have--cut into chunks, flour, cook in fry pan with oil until brown.

Add to pressure cooker add a cup of wine, broth, or soup--today I couldn't find my beef broth so I used about a 1/2 can of campbells french onion soup with a cup of water.

Cooked on med high for about 15 minutes--when done, I added a can of beef broth and thickened it with flour. Added some garlic and onion powder. This made a nice meaty gravy we served with left over mashed potatoes and a spoonful of sour cream.

I had planned to put cut up onions and mushrooms in this too, but got sidetracked into another project.

Could also serve over noodles or rice.

I pulled out a large piece of london broil that I bought on sale a few months ago, and now I have enough to throw in the crock pot for a great pot of stew.

One other thing I have discovered--beef ribs from the grocery store make great beginnings for a soup. Broil or bake a package of them on a broiler pan to get rid of the fat, cut the meat off and use for soup. You could also put the ribs on the BBQ with some whole veggies too. and make soup from the bbq meat & veggies.

I love cooking with my pressure cooker---but you could also cook this in a crock pot too[This Message was Edited on 02/01/2009]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me.

Here's something fast and cheap (if you buy the ingreediments at the 99 cent store).

It's the kind of recipe men like cause it only has two components.

ECRU SOUP

Can of chicken broth
    Can of lima beans

Open, combine, heat, serve

If you are having Marthla Stewart for lunch and want to add a touch of elegance,
    add a dollop of creme fresh and something colorful on top like red cavier or
    parsley.

If you want something w/ more body, combine chicken broth, cauliflower (already steamed)
    and a can of chicken or ham. At the 99 cent store the cost will be ca. $2.50.

Bon appetite

Rock