Share your SSDI Mental Exam experience please.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cinderbug, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

Hi,
    I'm sure this has been gone over in the past. Since I just recieved an apt for a SSDI Mental Exam scheduled in a couple of weeks, I am hoping some of you who have gone through this exam would share your experience and offer any suggestions.

I am in the reconsideration phase.

Thank You
  2. Cabbie

Cabbie New Member

Cinderbug,

Click on my screen name, and look at my recent posts. The ones on 3/7 and 3/12 tell about the test I just had, and some other's input about their tests.

Good luck,
    Cabbie
  3. PrariWolf

PrariWolf New Member

My exam was part of my physical exam. It was quick and worthless, maybe 10-15 minutes tops for both parts, and none of it was relevant to my illness. I knew the date because I had just asked someone, he asked very basic questions and had me try very basic exercises like touching my toes once (I had a lot of trouble standing back up, but that never made it into the report).

That said, I got good advice from a disability lawyer, who told me to go to the Voc Rehab people in my state (AZ). She said they would examine me thoroughly and if they said I couldn't work, she would take my case. The reason I mention this is, at Voc Rehab they gave me a truly comprehensive mental exam, which completely negated the ridiculous one given by the SS quack once I finally got a hearing. It literally made my case.
  4. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

Thank you to all who replied. I appreciate it.

Cabbie, I did go back and look at your posts. That was helpful.
    Goldie, I'm sorry to hear what a difficult experience you had! Oh my!
    PrariWolf - I don't see how the could have evaluated anything in such a short time.

5. charlenef

charlenef New Member

mine was a joke there was a table chair phone and clock in the room and that was it and he asked me to remember what he said chair table clock and phone what a worthless test i guess the gov has nothing better to do with tax dollars than give useless tests
  6. LACurrry

LACurrry New Member

My exam seemed to last at least a half hour to an hour. She got into all kinds of things. In the end, she said yes, you are depressed and you are suffering from anxiety but I do feel it is all related to the fibromyalgia. DUH!Not sure what that meant but I received a denial from the disability people and am now in the final hearing phase. I have no idea when that will take place.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/23/2007]
  7. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

I remember they asked the last 4 presidents.

Then they gave me four numbers or words and made me do them backwards. They did a whole bunch of those.

A lot of questions were about depression, are you sad about things, are you depressed. I answered very carefully because I didn't want them to say I was only depressed! I said, no I was fine until I found out what was wrong for me. If iwas depressed would I plan on doing x,x and x when I'm healthy.

We also went over what I can or can't do. Then they talked to my husband, that was weird. He got asked what I do around the house.
  8. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

Thanks for your help. I guess I'll just go and be my slow self.
  9. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

I'll just be honest, of course, but I just don't know what they want.

Are you supposed to be more disabled if you aren't depressed and your mind is sharp?? I'd expect just the opposite.
  10. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

My SSDI/SSI mental exam was very quick. The pyscologist just asked me to describe my CFS, which I gave a simplified explanation, and then she said "so you're depressed, but just NOT suicidal?" and I said "yup." And then she typed some info in her ibook laptop and then she said "thank you" and then we said our goodbye's and that was that.
  11. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

Thanks again for everone's input regarding the SSDI mental eval. I had it this morning and the PHD therapist couldn't have been nicer. She just had me tell her the short version of my entire life. Took about an hour. No games or quizzes.

I have no idea of her take on me or what she will tell S.S. I did ask for a copy of the report but was told I would have to get that from Social Security.

She was very kind and respectful, so if anyone else is nervous about this exam as I was, I just wanted to let you know they are not all bad!
  12. Ginner

Ginner New Member

I have mine tomorrow.
    I will let you know.
    Ginner
  13. pegshell

pegshell New Member

HOw could any of us not be depressed having Fibro/CFS..It alters our whole lives and that of our families..I was very angry that they made me take this Test and then again because I was approved for depression rather than fibro...My test was about 10 minutes long and simply math questions..It takes so long to get approved and I needed the money just to keep my house so of course I am glad that I was approved but the only thing depressing me is my disability..I'd give anything to be back working and getting the salary I was getting!!
    Peg