Sharing a pic. of some roses UPDATED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by monica33flowers, Jun 29, 2008.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

In my profile pic. These roses have been a real show stopper this year. They have loved all the rain but the buds are real short but I have all of these blooms off on stalk of roses. I hope you all enjoy!
    [This Message was Edited on 07/01/2008]
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Thanks Monica they are so nice. Tx for all your help on mine too. Are you doing OK now?

Love Annie
  3. sisland

sisland New Member

Wow they are just Gorgeous!,,,,Thanks for the photo!,,,,Sis
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Are those roses coral? How old are the bushes?

It is a well-known fact that women have a special gene that allows them to see roughly 272 more colors than men.

Went to Wal-mart today. They always have lots of beautiful plants. I especially liked the African violets. (Only $3) They had a spectacular white blossom edged w/ purple that was striking.

The bromeliads and phalaenopsis were in bloom too.

5. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Roses are my favorites and yours are especially beautiful.

We can'nt grow roses very well here, because of the cold winters.

I have wasted a lot of time and money trying, but lost all but two very hardy kinds to winter kill.

Thanks for sharing your green thumb with us.

I am guessing that the rest of your garden is spectacular also. Denamay
  6. monica33flowers

I just changed my profile pic. to one of my "other" fav's. lol. This rose is called "Blue Girl" and is just a show stopper.

Annie: I'm doing pretty good. Hardly any pain but the migraines have not eased up yet. That may come when things heal a bit more.

Sis: Thanks for stopping by and smelling my roses.

Lydia: I think I'm like your MIL. I just keep moving plants to other spots so I can add more roses. All of my roses are in the tea rose family. I tried a few shrub roses and those thorny little devils weren't worth the blooms so I sold them at my garage sale. LOL.

Rockgor: Hi Rock. Actually the color of the roses is reading kinda of funny on the computer screen. They are a deep red color. They are called Midnight Velvet. This is actually my first rose bush that I started with. I have to stop at my local nursery as all the other part of the rose underground is dead and this is just a shoot off one part of the actual clump. Plus, I noticed a few have white stripes running thru the blooms. I'm afraid this may be the last year for this gorgeous lady.

I also just love african violets but then so do my cats. My mother has some gorgeous african violets. They remind me of my grandmother --- I wish I could grow them.

Denamay: Here in WI it can be tough to keep the roses alive thru the winter as well. I always add a 5 gallon bucket of compost to the base of the rose as a blanket for those cold winters. It really helps cause I haven't lost one since I started this little trick.
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Your new pic looks very nice, Monica. We have a similar lavender rose; can't remember its name. Gordon has a very colorful rose called Fiesta, I think. It's red and orange and yellow.

I like the old favorites like Double Delight and Mr. Lincoln.

Does anyone know how long a rose bush can live? I got a book from the library that showed rose gardens in southern California. Many of the gardens had been created in the 1880s or shortly thereafter.

But the book never answered my question. Are these the same plants, now over 100 years old?

I looked a few places on the web. One lady said she had rose bushes that were planted when her house was built, so the plants were 35 years old and thriving.

Somebody said roses can live for centuries, but this was someone on a message board, not really an acknowledged authority.

8. monica33flowers

I will have to ask when I visit my nursery. I've wondered the same thing. I know of people that have had roses for say 50 years or so. That is a good one ----- since I'm OCD -- just kidding --- this will drive me crazy.
  9. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

A Beautiful Rose! Thanks for sharing it.

My only rose bush is very sick with black spot. I really think I'll be losing it. Grrr!

10. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Sorry, I almost missed that pciture. It is absolutely beautiful I love roses and pink is my favorite color.

Thanks for sharing. It is just gorgeous.