Sharing What's Helped Me So Much

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DeborahLynn, May 10, 2009.

1. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I have had CFS and FMS for seven years now. I went to Uchee Pines Lifestyle Center in Feb/Mar of '09, and their treatments have helped me tremendously:

-- Adhering to the "eight laws of health", which are:

Nutrition (I have adopted the vegan diet, with lots of fresh fruits, veggies, ground flax seed for Omega's, chia seeds, green drink)
    Exercise (when I can),
    Water (plenty of fresh H2O),
    Sunshine (for Vit. D; 15 - 30 min. daily - no burning),
    Temperance in all things,
    Fresh Air (deep breathing exercises several times daily),
    Sufficient Rest,
    Trust in God

--Hydrotherapy (VERY IMPORTANT! Greatly reduces pain for hours)

Also, when I went to the lifestyle center, I was on eight different meds. I went in using a walker or a cane. I was VERY SICK; to the point of death. The center gradually took me off the two pain meds, then worked on getting me off the other anti-seizure meds, anti-depressants, etc. Then after the withdrawel symptoms were done, I started feeling some better each day! I was able to walk by myself out of the center!!! I was praising the Lord.

I've been home now for two months, and have tried to stick to the center's plan as closely as possible, modifying the treatments so that I could do them at home. I still have crashes/flares, but they are shorter in duration. Before, the slightest thing would cause a major crash/flare, and I would be bedridden for weeks. Now, I still have pretty severe crashes, but like I mentioned, they are shorter, around three days or so. My level of functioning is still not back to pre-illness levels, but hopefully, as I follow this plan, I may be able to live again. I pray so.

I hope this helps someone!

2. 3gs

3gs New Member

Those are the things that are good for us all. However not sure on the 30 mins of excerise. Even CFS docs say dont excerise. or not for 30 mins. did you build up to that level slowly?

glad you are feeling better!
  3. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i have had CFS for over 17 yrs and have always had severe cognitive problems and fatigue. for a number of years, i kept up a mild exercise regimen and lived a healthy lifestyle. i felt less depressed and it may have helped the CFS too. my favorite exercise was 30 min. of pilates.

however, the disease did not go away and as soon as i became stressed out, i crashed big time and the CFS became unbearable again. after that, i could not exercise at all and could not seem to get back to the same level of health.

i am now on antiviral treatment and hoping that i am on the right track.....
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

3gs- I think she meant 30 minutes of sunshine not exercise.

The things listed are just good for everyone in general. Sometimes going back to basics is hard to remember to do.

What exactly do you do for Hydrotherapy?
    My Mom recently moved to a beautiful senior living facility with a salt water pool - she needs to use it for health and is begging me to go with her. Is that the same thing - Aqua therapy and hydrotherapy?
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

I agree, all the above are great and I am able to do all but the exercise I am now trying for 5 min. of walking 3 times a day.. That is a biggie for me. If the sun ever shines I hope to get out in it we have had rain for two weeks. I would love to be able to exercise just walking helps my depression but then if I walk and try light housework (had to give up the heavy house work) I end up in bed. Sometimes I feel its a losing battle.. but can't stop trying.

God Bless,

6. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

Thanks for all your replies!

When I was so ill, I couldn't do everything at once, but at the lifestyle center, they did it all for me, and that's when I was brought up to a level of functioning where I could do these things for myself... I'm in a crash/flare right now from staying up too late on Saturday night (some friends were moving across the country, and I wanted to spend some time with them, and ended up staying too late. I felt o.k., until the next day! It hit me hard.) So now I'm paying for it by two or three days of staying in my pj's and having to sit or lie down.

So, as you can see, I haven't "arrived" yet, but I'm better than I was before going to the lifestyle center.

These principles are not quick fixes, but I believe they are God's natural remedies, and when we include as many of them as possible for the long term, they benefit our bodies. They benefit me tremendously. I went from bedridden/couch-bound to a better level of functioning. I still can't do what I used to, but I'm hoping and praying that as time goes on, to be able to be "back in the land of the living" again.

I can actually go to church now! :)

Janalynn, I think any treatment involving water can be referred to hydrotherapy; there are many different names applied to treatment with water. The one I do at home is a "fever bath," and it is very beneficial to me! It greatly reduces my pain for hours. I also have a friend who owns a Russian steam bath, which I do 2 or 3 times a week, and it is wonderful!

If you want me to tell you how the fever bath is done, I'll be glad to share it with you. Fever baths are contra-indicated for those with heart conditions, diabetes, great obesity, severe hypertension, tendency to hemorrhage, extreme feebleness or debility, and neuropathy.

The benefits are pain relief, increased circulation, metabolic processes are increased, wastes removed, absorption of food is stimulated, perspiration is induced;

**and one of the Biggest Benefits is that your metabolism is increased, and you have the same benefits as you do when doing exercise! So, if you take a 30 min. fever bath, it's like doing 30 min. of exercise, without the post-exertional malaise, and after a few fever bath treatments, you have a little more stamina.

If I take a fever bath treatment or a Russian steam bath daily, six days a week, I can feel my body improving daily. At one point, I worked up to walking about a mile and a half, but then I experienced a crash/flare, and am still working my way back from that.

All these laws of health and hydrotherapy are so important, that if I miss just one for a day or two, I can feel it! And if I adhere to them daily, I can feel the improvement.

With each treatment, I pray that the Lord will add His blessings to these simple remedies that He's provided, all of them from His hand, and He blesses!

I pray this will help you all. If anyone wants me to write out the whole procedure for the fever baths that I learned at Uchee Pines Lifestyle Center, I'll be glad to type it out. Just let me know.

7. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I know what you mean!!! If I hadn't had the lifestyle center to do it all for me, I don't think I could have done it all for myself. But they taught me a lot, and their treatments were wonderful, and the nutrition and all the other eight laws of health, plus trust in God, all were key in helping me. I pray I'll continue to get better, and I want to share what has helped me with as many people as possible.

What I would really like to do is go to people's homes who have these diseases, and do the whole program for them! We'll see what God has in store.

Thanks for responding, everyone, and God bless!

8. vickiw

vickiw Member

Hi Debbie,

I'm not on this board very often these days, so I guess I hit it at just the right mom recently gave me some flyers about Uchee Pines and offered to pay for a stay, and also to drive me there (from NJ!).

In reading their material, I was impressed by their understanding of CFS....until I hit the sentence about graded exercise. I've had CFS for 6 1/2 years and went to a well respected CFS doctor. I followed his advice about graded exercise and I believe that was a major factor in causing me to go drastically downhill. I have yet to recover. I'm currently housebound and collecting disability. How much do they empasize exercise at Uchee Pines?

Do you have someone cook and shop for you now that you're home? I wanted to try a vegan diet last year. My husband and I started, then 3 weeks later we both came down with the flu. We were still sick when my husband had a complete nervous breakdown and had to be hosptalized. That was the end of the vegan diet. He blames his breakdown on my CFS (although that's only part of the problem) and freaks out now if I mention a change of diet. We do eat better than most Americans, but could use further improvements.

Does the fever bath help you with anything other than pain? I ask because I really don't have much pain...just a constant low level achiness. If the bath is good for other things, I would really appreciate it if you could explain how to do it. I don't have any of the conditions that would contraindicate taking these baths.

I hope you are still doing well and are recovered from your recent crash.

9. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I just typed a long response to you, and it vanished!

I don't have time to re-type it, but I do want to say that I would go again to Uchee Pines if I could! They have loving, knowledgeable staff and doctors, and you will learn so much!

And the treatments - Wonderful!!

They do not push their patients at all; they are very considerate and caring. I grew to love them. quickly.

I am going to to a little research online to see if I can find something about the baths because as I look at it, it is a long description, and I'm also a little nervous about whether or not I'd be stepping on anyone's toes if I copy it from their book. There's no copyright that I can find, but... I just want to make sure... So I'll get back to you!

Thanks for your interest! I pray you feel better, too.

10. faithinlove

faithinlove New Member

I know I may sound a little or a lot silly, lol, but tell me about the baths you talked about. I do not like taking a lot of medicine. I know sometimes it just leaves me feeling so blah. Please tell me about the center you went to. I am in Texas and I really want to get better without having to be knocked out on pain meds.
    I pray from the bottom of my heart I can get better because I would love so much to share my experiences with those that have been through hell like me and all of us here and have prevailed and feel much better.
    I understand you are not completely well but your life seems a whole lot better than it did.
    At one time I sang in a Christian band and never hardly missed church, now I find it hard to go anywhere
    Please keep us posted on your progress.
    I am keeping the "Faith for a better life."
    Hugs Faith :)
    [This Message was Edited on 05/11/2009]
  11. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I googled fever baths, and a site from Highwood Health dot org. came up with a little more info. on their auto-immune page...

And another place I found more info:

(I hope it's o.k. to put this address here - please forgive me if it's not.)

Well, I can't find anything more specific without looking through web page after web page, so I'm going to talk with my husband and ask him if he thinks it would be o.k. to just post what I do as a fever bath. (I really want to share what's helped me, but I also don't want to get in trouble, or worse yet, someone try what I've done, and they end up not tolerating it or getting hurt...)

More later,

12. vickiw

vickiw Member

Sorry you lost your long post - it's happened to me before - very frustrating!

Thanks for the info. I did a web search and found a good site that gives lots of details. It has advice on water temp, body temp and so on. I want to give it a try.

I'm also considering Uchee Pines. It's pretty expensive and a long trip for us, so I'm just not sure yet, but it sure helps to hear of someone's first hand experience!

13. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I did some searches, but didn't find a whole lot; can you give me a clue as to how you found the above mentioned site? Thanks so much! I pray you have a good night!

14. vickiw

vickiw Member

I did a google search for "therapeutic fever bath" and it was the first link in the results. It's an oddly named website - takeholdthetzitzit dot com. The page for the fever bath has very detailed instructions.

I'm going to try it this weekend when my husband is home. The instructions recommend that you have an attendant. I guess you can become lightheaded...

Thanks for the prayer! I pray you have a good night also!
  15. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

It sounds like they helped you a lot. I noticed you had been on anti seizure meds. Would you mind sharing the name of what you were taking? I think the med my doctor prescribed for me today is anti seizure as well as for fibro. It's neurontin. Thanks GB66
    [This Message was Edited on 05/15/2009]
  16. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I'm so happy for you, Debbie!

I had no idea that places like this existed. How cool. Just being out in the country and having someone cook for me would be healing.

17. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I was taking Lyrica (Lyrica was only slightly less addictive than the Opiates I was taking for pain! Lyrica was bad news for me! and I was only on it for two or three months), Trileptal, Prozac (I don't know why they put me on Prozac - I wasn't depressed!), Keppra, Provigil, and another one that I can't remember.

I was on eight medications when I went to Uchee Pines, and the meds were killing me! I felt So Much better after having been weaned off of them at Uchee. The Lord blessed me so much there, because what sent me to Uchee Pines was that I had an allergic reaction to Lyrica, but when I stopped taking it per doctor's orders, I had the most horrible withdrawal symptoms - I thought I was dieing for sure! One of my pupils was tiny, and the other one was huge, and they wouldn't change when flashed with a bright light, or when I went in a dark room. I had all the withdrawal symptoms that people get with hard drugs! (I won't describe them; they're gross.)

The Lord bless you!