Sharp, stabbing pains

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by donna13210, Aug 16, 2003.

1. donna13210

donna13210 Member

I've had FMS for probably 10 years.

Lately I've been experiencing these quick, sharp pains when using a muscle. It can be any muscle. For example, a sharp pain in my finger when pressing the car window button.

They're so sharp and painful I usually cry out, partially because it hurts and partially because it catches me by surprise. I have to stop immediately whatever it was I was doing, and it goes away within a second of two.

I've also had one just moving my ankle WHILE I WAS SITTING DOWN, there was not even any weight on it. Or sometimes it's in my wrist, or toe.

What is this??? General muscle aches are bad enough without this new twist!

Anyone had experience with this and do you know of anything that might help?

2. Goodday

Goodday New Member

Hi, I experience the same thing. Last night I had the sharp stabbing pains in my fingers, just sitting in the chair watching TV! I get more of them when I forget to take my calcium/magnesium. The pain is sudden, sharp, and short! Weird, I know. And it is surprising when it happens. It has been going on more frequently in the past 2 years. I have had fibro for about 20 years.....
    I can not tell you what really really helps because so far I have not found the answer. Maybe someone else has the solution?? Goodday all.
  3. Echo2

Echo2 New Member

in fact, that was one of my first symptoms. I have FMS & CMP and have had sharp pains for about 5 years now. Embarrasing when you are out in public, like at the grocery store, you know? Cruising along, then suddenly a sharp surprise and I yelp, god knows what the other people think of me! lol. I take magnesium now, and colostrum, but have not noticed any difference yet, but just started. Just keep trying things till you find what works, and look at the bright side. At least a sharp pain doensn't hang around too just sneaks off to another part of your body :)
    Wish I had a solution, but you are not alone in this.
  4. Suekoo

Suekoo New Member

Top of my thighs. Just had one a few minutes before I signed on the board. Terrible!!
  5. GooGooGirl

GooGooGirl New Member

I get them all over! It can be in my finger one minute, my leg the next, then my arm, then my foot. They move all the time. Very annoying! I don't have to be moving at all to get them.
  6. donna13210

donna13210 Member

Bumping hopefully for more info

7. Lendi

Lendi New Member

I heard somewhere that they are called Zingers. An apt name I think.
  8. achy

achy New Member

Feels like somebody is stabbing me wiht a dull ice pick!!
    I get them in my hands...sometimes in the soft tissue between my thumb and first finger...or inbetween the joints of a finger. them in the middle of my butt cheek..zappo.
    Just using the remote controll for the tv will make me get them in my hands.

Yeah, nothing like just sitting here watching Tv wiht hubby and i suddenly say yeowch!! He just looks at me like i'm nuts. (which i most likely am..hmmm wonder why)

Always somethin'
    Warm fuzzies
  9. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I also get those pains in my hands, feet, knees, thighs and calves.
    When it happens i feel like i've been shot or electrocuted and it is soooooo painful it can nearly take me to the floor!!!!
    i have dropped so many glasses and cups when it happens that i am now using clear plastic ones and i also hate to be shopping when it happens cos i feel so stupid screaming in public lol.
    I was tested for carpal tunnel and then rheumy said no it was arthritis but reading this i think it is symptom of fibro as there are so many.
    rena uk
  10. donna13210

donna13210 Member

Well the only suggestion I saw was Klonopin. Other than that, sounds like there's not much that can be done about this problem! This is not very encouraging!

It's funny how just 6 months ago this problem didn't exist for me. It's like FMS comes in "phases":

"Okay, you've graduated from Phases 1, 2 & 3: extreme muscle aches, profound fatigue and brain malfunction. Now you are ready for Phase 4: THE STABBER-ZINGERS !"
    (An embellishment of the name someone else had mentioned!)

Well, these stabber-zingers are JUST NOT ACCEPTABLE to me. I fell once not long ago, took WEEKS to recover, and I'm not willing to go through that again! The next time I get a zap in my foot or ankle I'm sure I will fall again.

I'm going to have to stay on the phone non-stop until I find a doctor in my area that can treat this DD!

Sorry if I'm sounding grumpy....that's because I am! ha ha

I mean, geez, can't wait until Phase V !!!!

I'm sorry you guys get it too, but it gives me some comfort that you know what I am talking about.

Take care

11. Bambi

Bambi New Member

also what feels like a bee sting all of a sudden. Like everyone else it can be anywhere but also mostly in my hands. Miserable. hugs, Bambi
  12. donna13210

donna13210 Member

Yes, the bee-sting-zingers! I posted a topic on that very same thing a few months ago. Turns out alot of people get them, now including you! I thought I was the only one.

That was before these stabber-zingers started. And I thought the bee-sting-zingers were bad !!

I'm hoping if I ever get something to take for pain in general, it will also take care of these wierd zingers.

Take care

13. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Here I go again with what I take, gee you ladies and gents must get sooooo tired of me and my magnesium, water, and salt!

Heres what I have been taking, and believe me the spasms and 'zingers' are a whole lot less frequently.

Pro Energy (Malic Acid and Magnesium Glycinate)

ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6)

Drink, half your body weight in ounces of water a day, most of us are dehydrated, which can cause a host of problems all over from you brain to your toes.

1/4 teaspoon of Sea Salt throughout the day.

I take other supplements, but these are the very important ones.

Another thing, take your magnesium separate from the calcium, at least three hours inbetween.

I do not have RSL syndrome anymore since starting the ZMA. The spasms are almost gone, flaring is infrequent and if I do get one, they don't last very long now.

I am sleeping 7-8 hours a night without waking up, if I do wake for a bathroom run, I go right back to sleep. ZMA is a miracle for sleep for me, plus all the other benefits.

I used to get those lighting pains in my hands and fingers so bad, that I would drop cups of hot tea and coffee. My big toe would have a pain in it, and wake me up at night.

Give it a try, can't hurt, and might help you as much as it did for me.

Shalom, Shirl
  14. deepthinker

deepthinker New Member

These pains are not fun and no one understands them except those who have experienced them. It is nice to know that I'm not the only one with these although that means all of you are suffering also. I'm new here and I have not been able to read a lot of the posts yet, but have a couple of questions? First of all Shirl, you talked in your reply about some kind of supplement, FM?,(just read it but can't remember it) is this the name of the supplement or just what the supplement includes? The reason I'm asking is the restless leg syndrome. I would be a great field goal kicker as long as the game was in the middle of the night. My husband ask me the other morning, "Was I dreaming or was the bed shaking last night?" It was my legs, they are worse this time than any others I've had in the past. My legs actually jump about a foot off the bed. The only relief I have found is getting up and walking around but then I find myself walking into walls etc. because I am so tired and can't sleep.
    Second question, I have been having a feeling in my hand that I can best describe by saying, it feels like I have touched a hot heating element in an oven heated to 350+. This pain is on my left hand and only from the middle knuckle of the pointer finger, through the thin skin connecting the thumb and finger, and up to the knuckle on my thumb. When I asked the doctor about she blamed it on a higher than desired blood sugar reading. I told her I didn't agree because it had only happened in the last two weeks and my blood sugar, while not at a level the doctor thinks is best, was the lowest it had been in several weeks. Has anyone out there have or had this kind of pain?
  15. donna13210

donna13210 Member

I was planning to order the Pro Energy and ZMA anyway, but now I'm really convinced!

How do you take the Sea Salt? Dissolving it in liquid doesn't sound like it would taste very good! Is it available in capsule form?

Thanks so much to all for your input.
  16. mroc37

mroc37 New Member

hi ihave most of these syptons my anl=kles feel like gass chips ar in them Lately im getting more spasms on legs and when i go to get out of bed i cant stand up and its hard to walk My big toe is awful it wake me up to. Thats why i like these boards i usually find other people have the same syptons and i dont feel like im losing my mind
    Be well
  17. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I am a lover of salt, so all I do is put a little during the day on the back of my tongue and let it melt, but if necessary you can add it to your food, or put it on chips, nuts, or any other way you can think of! 1/4 of a teaspoon is not a lot of salt.

HOpe this helps, and I do pray you get the results I get from the supplements, water and salt too.

Shalom, Shirl
  18. doubletfan

doubletfan New Member

Wow, I've had these for more than 10 years and have only found one person who had them up till now (it was a doctor who didn't know what they were either!).<BR>
    A neurologist I saw years ago before the CFS started (I've had CFS for at least 4 years) diagnosed it as neuralgia - overactive nerves, and prescribed Neurontin. It DID work, but I stopped taking it and didn't have it much for a while. After I got CFS the pains got worse and more frequent and I started taking Neurontin again - it GREATLY increased my fatigue so I had to stop. I understand there are some alternatives to Neurontin, Klonopin might be one, I'm not sure. I recently took some left over Klonopin prescribed to me for anxiety and it really helped with pain and sleep.
  19. kezzluvscats

kezzluvscats New Member

I experience all those. My fms started with the toes and fingers and joints. Even pushing a remote control or using the keyboard. With fms it dosn't take much to trigger a spot. Toes and fingers must be kept warm in winter and try and keep cool in summer-heat can also trigger. today my elbows are sore. Sometimes it is everything.. Good Luck Donna - i find these sites supportive as those around don't really know.