Shaving legs the easy way

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Susan07, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

When I was 16 I bought my first men's shaver, battery operated with "floating heads".

I couldn't stand getting cut anymore!

It really comes in handy with my FM, I can shave without water, without cutting myself and in stages while I watch TV - sitting.

The "floating heads" also go around the curves of ankles, legs and knees.

Take care, hope this helps some of you with easier grooming, I have been shaving this way for 40 years.
  2. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I just don't shave my legs anymore. I find that easier.
  3. poets

poets Member

And at my age I have to shave my mustache too! If I don't shave my legs everyday, I can't stand it. The hair grows incredibly fast! I think I'm going to look into this men's shaver thing. Sounds good to me! Thanks for the tip, Susan.

4. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I never would have thought of trying that. Which brand do you use?
  5. ldoty

ldoty New Member

I agree it just much easier. I don't care what others think and I still wear my shorts.
  6. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

dragon06 and ldoty - I probably shave about twice a month. I live in Texas where it is HOT and shorts are a necessity. Since I don't go out very much I don't have to do it often.

poets and teejkay - I also do my upper lip and chin where my beard is trying to come out (LOL)! I have used Norelco mostly but one time had the Remington. I think I have owned 3-4 over the past 40 years, not a bad investment I think for the length they last.

The only place I can't use the "triple heads" is under my arms, I'm still looking for a solution to that if anyone has ideas.
  7. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I guess I will go insane when I have to quit shaving my legs, lol.

I simply cannot stand them if I go one day without. Yep, it is difficult to do, I find standing the shower and proping my foot up on one corner works for me.
  8. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

especially my underarms.

The best wax I have ever used came from Mexico. Cheap and very nice. Not too sticky, kind of silky. Use talcum powder to keep skin safe. There is a trick to it so practice on legs first.

I even wax my bikini area.

9. erica741

erica741 New Member

Susan: Thanks for the tip! Do you think the Norelco brand is the best?

Marti: Do you do the waxing yourself? If so, what brand do you use? I've never found any of the home kits in the drugstores to work.

10. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

I do the waxing myself. I had it done once and it was very painful. I like my technique better plus I control the process.

I don't have a favorite brand. I don't like the drugstore variety either but I can't locate any good wax from Mexico.

I use two bowls - in the microwave - to keep the process moving faster. I don't use the canvas strips and I reuse the wax until I can't anymore (kinda gross but I am on a budget).

I dust my legs with talcum powder then apply wax and then pull it off when it develops a skin on top. It only takes a few seconds (maybe 10-15).

Early spring is a great time because you have winter growth and it pulls out easier the longer it is. Then I used to be able to go most of the summer. regrowth is fine and sparse.

I stopped doing it but have to start since the bending over in the shower is not safe for me anymore.

11. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

erica741 - yes I do like Norelco the best and it did seem to last the longest. I now get the cord/cordless, it only takes about 6 minutes to charge for a shave.

msbsgblue - if I tried to stand in the shower I would fall on my behind, glad you're still able to.

The thing about the shaver is it only takes maybe 4-5 minutes to do and it could be done daily, like during the commercials - if it doesn't gross out your family too much (LOL)!

marti_zavala - I'll have to think about the waxing I'm not sure I could take the pain, but it would be nice not to have to do the underarms so often.

I wish I had as much courage as some of you to not shave.

Thanks all
  12. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

I think I will try the Norelco. There are times I don't have the energy to wax or it's not long enough but I have to wear a dress.

I think I will get one for my son as he is 18 and has a heavy beard.

Thanks for a great post.
  13. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I still shave under my arms when I take a shower as that is very easy still and quick.

I wear shorts and bathing suits and whatever I feel like wearing and I still don't shave my legs. The hair doesn't bother me and if it bothers someone else then that is their problem not mine.
  14. teacher

teacher New Member

I don't shave nuffin'! Except chin, but only when I remember that it's there! hee hee

Everything else is too much work.

Keep on keepin' on.
  15. nightngale

nightngale New Member

I had been using my lady remingtom I got when I was geee.....16? am now 49 and it just stopped working! I was freaking out cause they don't seem to make any normal shavers for woman anymore. The one I had gotten my daughter kinda rips the hair out!! yow. I will definately look into the mens thing cause I don't have time or patience for razors. I wish I could sit around in a warm tub. If someone would only scrub it really well!The glaze is wearing off and you really have to it gets that dirty I have no clue. If I do it my arms will be limp for a week. and in pain spasms.
  16. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Wow $60 for a shaver, that's a lot!

I have a question...

If you shave your legs while you are watching tv and stuff where does all the hair go? How do you stop it from getting all over the place?
  17. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Thanks for letting me know about Norelco. It is pricey but it's nice to know my options. I have a seat in my shower and shave sitting down when I'm too weak to stand.

18. erica741

erica741 New Member

$60 really isn't that much when you consider how expensive razor blades are! My Venus blades run almost $10 for a 2-month supply. If the electric shaver works well and lasts for several years, it will end up being more cost effective...However, I have yet actually try it. If it doesn't work as well as the razor blades, I'm returning it to the drugstore.

PS. Can you tell I'm an accountant? :)
    [This Message was Edited on 07/25/2008]
  19. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

erica741 - I'm an accountant too, guess that's why I did the calculations and figured it was worth it.

Let us know when you try it.

dragon06 - the hair is held in the shaver, the top snaps off so you can empty into the trash.

[This Message was Edited on 07/25/2008]
  20. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

That's the important part for me. If I have to shave over something to catch the hairs I may as well shave in the shower.