Shelf Life of Meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gigio, Feb 17, 2006.

1. gigio

gigio New Member

Hello....

Does anyone out there know how long medications like Xanax,
    Percocet and Vicodin are good for?

Thanks for your help.

Gigi
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Most meds like that are good for two years at least. Sometimes the pharmacy will give me a bottle with an expiration date on it. But the date the pharmacy puts on it is 1 year, but they do that with all the meds.

I've kept meds for several years and used them and that have worked fine.

This is just my experience with them.

Hugs,
    Faye
  3. Suzan

Suzan New Member

But, if they are stored properly, they will last will still have some of their properties up and over a year..but they will not be at their full strength. They may be as little as 1/2 strength after 6 months..depending on the drug and the storage of it.
  4. Lindy2

Lindy2 New Member

I too was curious about this. My pharmacist informed me that on their meds they receive it has an expiration of five years but when dispensed to the public they put on the bottle one year from fill date.

Hope this helps.

Lindy
  5. justlooking

justlooking New Member

A few days ago I got my Xanex refilled and I couldn't believe the expiration date on the bottle was 2010. Almost inevitably they put 1 year from the fill date but I guess they have changed that. I also received two pain meds both had expiration dates one was late 2007 the other was early 2008.

As for antibiotics though I heard that some antibiotics when they "breakdown" over time can actually cause damage to certain organs. Like one woman took an old penicillin RX and ended up needing a kidney transplant. So now I throw out antibiotics after one year.

Other meds I throw out when they start to lose their color or they start to break apart/get powdery.

JL
  6. gigio

gigio New Member

Thanks to everyone who responded. Sometimes I don't take all my meds too fast and I have always wondered if they lose strength after 6 months or so. Now I know thanks to all of you.

Gigi