Shellfish Allergies Anybody?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lgp, Mar 11, 2010.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Last night, I was not up to cooking (flare) and since it was just me and my daughter, I decided to treat us to Thai food--inexpensive and healthy. The dish I ordered contained oyster sauce. Since I am flaring now, I am used to feeling unwell, but when I got home, I realized it wasn't just my sinuses acting up, my throat was actually closing. I took liquid Benadryl and was ok within a half hour. This is about the third time in a year that this happened to me in a restaurant--last two times it was shrimp. The odd thing is, I never had shellfish allergies before. The only allergies I have are penicillin and dust and a latex sensitivity.

Could I develop a shellfish allergy at 49? I will not eat any shellfish anymore, that's for sure. I remember a friend telling me years ago that his reactions to oyster sauce was worse than the reaction to shellfish itself. Anyone else?

2. teacher

teacher New Member

My niece ate clams this summer. Ended up in the emergency room.

Yep. Shellfish allergy.

She has eaten shrimp all her life and this was the second time that she can recall that she'd had clams. This was the first time that she's ever had a reaction.

Dr. said it didn't matter. Shellfish allergy can pop up at any time. What you need to be aware of when it does pop up is cross contamination.

For example: Niece went to McD's sometime after that and had a Crispy Chicken sandwich. We ended up in the emergency room again.

We finally figured out that the fish sandwiches and the cripsy chicken are fried in the same grease.

No more fried chicken anything there!

So, all of that to say that in my experience, a sudden reaction is not unusual. Just be aware now and you might want to inform your doctor of what happened.

Best wishes
  3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Shellfish allergies run in my family. My father started to get it probably around age thirty or so. He was rushed to the ER a few times. They said if he eats any fish again, he could die. He used to make the best shrimp tempura, too. It was a shame.

I'm getting it now at age forty. I can't eat fish fillets, fish sticks. I have to be real careful. I seem to tolerate salmon and tuna, so far. I have Hashimoto's, so I try to stay away from shrimp and crab mostly. The iodine in the shrimp bugs my thyroid. The fake crab meat closes my throat up.
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

It's actually pretty common to develop allergies later on or anytime I should say, in life.

I am allergic to shrimp. I discovered that about 10 yrs ago. When I was in my mid twenties I developed an allergy to aspirin. That really stinks - no ibuprofen products either. All of the girls in my family has the same allergy. Same w/penicillin.

Glad you had Benedryl nearby. Having your throat close is a scary feeling!
  5. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I always keep the liquid form in the house; works much faster than the gel caps. It's children's though (dye free) so adults neeed to take a larger dose.

While we are on the subject of allergic reactions--let me point out another one. A few years ago, one of my twin daughters came home from a show at a local temple. She had a rash on her that looked like leprosy, honest to God, and her throat was starting to close. We rushed her to the ER, and she was gasping for air by the time we got there. They rushed her in and immediately gave her IV steroids through the night. She went home the next morning with medication and an Epi pen that she was instructed to carry, just in case. She never had to use it though.

The culprit? We came to realize that it was the freshly polyurethaned floors at the temple that the kids were sitting on. I could not believe the havoc this could cause--this rash was like nothing I had ever seen before.

Now she knows to stay away from anything like that, but what a hard lesson for a kid!

6. kjade

kjade New Member

Wow Laura, that sounds pretty scary (both of your posts). I don't know about shellfish, because I don't eat any seafood (other than tuna) but I do know that I have developed many allergies since I was in my 20's. I NEVER had any allergies as a child but the older I get, the more I find that I am allergic to.
    When I was tested for allergies 4 years ago they found that I was allergic to everything they tested for except dogs, cats and dust (which was a good thing, considering I have all 3 in my house! lol). I am allergic to mold, and we think we have a lot of mold in my basement because we get a lot of water down there. They also told me I am allergic to cockroaches, of all things!! The old building where we used to work was consumed with cockroaches....I was always feeling ill when we were there. I often wonder if the cockroach problem caused a lot of my symptoms.

I have never had the type of reaction you described (with the throat closing) - thank goodness you grabbed the Benadryl when you did!