Shin Splints (Not sure)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, May 12, 2013.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Hope this message gets to anyone - not sure if I like this new board. LOL

I'm having pain in my left ankle and thought it could just be arthritis, but then it radiates a few inches up the leg (tibia bone). It cuts like a knife when I walk.

I do have myofascial pain in my leg (along the sides from the hip down - can feel the lumps and bumps). Could anyone explain the ankle & up pain. It hurts when I walk and sometimes burns.

I don't even know which doctor to see - I guess ortho first and then rheumatologist. Actually both ankle areas hurt if I rub it, but the left is worse. Well, the entire left leg is bad due to SI joint dysfunction in the pelvis.

Any ideas?:(
  2. stick2013

stick2013 Member

If it is shin splints, then resting your legs, and using ice is recommended. Also stretching the calf muscle is important. You do this by doing wall push-ups. Stand several feel away from a wall, place hands on wall and lean into the wall and hold position. Make sure your heels are firmly on the floor. You should feel pulling and stretching in your cal
    F muscle. If you don't then you are not far enough away from the wall.

Shin splints are painful. I have had them from overdoing walking......
  3. Clark Ellis

Clark Ellis Member

I had shin splints. I got it playing football (soccer) too much. It is usually an over exercise injury. When I got mine, both my shins went within seconds of each other and I could hardly walk. Over the next two weeks of rest, the right one cleared up, the left didn't.
    I had lots of tests, MRI etc, to rule out stress fracture, and other stuff. I had a pressure study which was high, so had decompression surgery (I don't recommend) and this fixed the pressure, but not the pain - so I was then looking to have shin splints surgery when I got ME and so never did that. Shin split surgery is usually nasty too.
    I'd suggest a rheumatologist first.
    I first tried physio but that didn't work and was also very painful.