Shin splints??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by renae1979, Dec 17, 2005.

1. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

Does anyone else here get shin splints (medial tibial stress syndrome) just from just a little jogging or even less than a mile of walking??

When I was in junior high and high school I used to get shin splints during sports training, but now it seems that the pain returns even after just walking at the zoo or doing a lot of shopping, etc. It is terribly painful and I'm going to have to invest in some good shoes or insoles or something.

Anyone else get this??
  2. Juloo

Juloo Member

The worst was in teens, just like you. I was on the track and field team (field events!) but still had to run every day w/the team. It was horrible!

Like you, I get them again. I think your idea to look into the shoes/insoles is a good one.

Another thing that relieves this somewhat is using Clare Davies' Trigger Point Therapy Workbook. There are instructions for massaging the spots that can contribute to this pain pattern.

I get regular massages (about every 1 to 2 months). When I started several years back, I could barely stand the LMT to touch the front of my shins. Now they don't bother me much at all unless I've just done a lot of walking.
  3. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely look into the workbook and massages (another good reason to get them too!!).
  4. CinCA

CinCA New Member

Especially when I have started up an activity, like running, again after a long absence. I haven't noticed them as much since I got my "new" running shoes over a year ago (sadly have barely run since then...I have CFS). The shoes definitely help. Otherwise, I've found rest is the best cure.

BTW, I used some insoles called "Superfeet" on my old pair of running shoes (don't need them with my current ones), and they also worked very well. They can be cut to fit many kinds of shoes, and there are different "varieties" available based on what type of activity/support you need. I got mine at a local running store, and I think you can find them at many sporting goods stores as well.

Good luck!
  5. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

What kind of shoes do you have? I don't really run, but I need to find good walking shoes. What should we look for in a good pair of shoes since we suffer from shin splints? What type of sole support, etc?

Thanks again for the info!!!
  6. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

Here is some info on shin splints:

The full name for shin splints is 'Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome' which simply defines the condition as a syndrome in which stress, over time, has caused an injury to the medial (inside) part of the tibia (lower leg). It is very common in athletes who pound the legs - runners, sprinters, figure skaters, gymnasts, etc. It is a typical overuse injury. It does not occur over night but over a period of time during which the athlete has been pounding the legs. It is not the added force caused by weightbearing - for it is not common in weightlifters or other athletes that put a lot of force on their bones - but rather the impact force associated with running. This is one of he reasons why proper footwear is essential for anyone involved with running. Figure skaters, gymnasts, etc. don't have the luxury of choosing ideal footwear with adequate cushioning so, if you're a runner, exercise your ability to pick a good pair of shoes.

The Anatomy

The pain associated with shin splints is thought to correspond to the area where the soleus muscle of the calf attaches to the shin bone, or tibia. If you've ever whacked your shin, you know that there's not a lot of meat on the front of the tibia. It's really just skin over the bone. The majority of the muscles attach to the back of the tibia. If you put your fingers on the front of the tibia, right on the bony ridge where you don't have any padding, and then roll inwards and you'll be able to almost feel behind the tibia. There's a bit of a 'shelf' on the medial side of the tibia. This is where we usually find the sore spots associated with shin splints so if you poke around behind the ridge of the tibia you'd often hit some real hot spots.

It's important to understand that sometimes shin splints will present with the same signs and symptoms as a stress fracture in the tibia. It is also thought that shin splints can progress to stress fractures if not treated properly. So it is very important that if you think you have shin splints, and they are not responding to rest or treatment, you have a professional look at them because if you wind up with a stress fracture you're looking at a minimum of 6 weeks for it to heal.

Signs and Symptoms

Pain located on the medial (inside) part of the lower leg

Pain is often worse with running or other weight bearing exercise

Pain may be related to training on exceptionally hard surfaces (concrete, indoor tracks) or on tight turns (indoor tracks)

Pain may linger even after cessation of the offending activity

May be associated with tight calf muscles

What's Going On

The idea, as I outlined above, is that the soleus muscle is pulling really hard on the backside of the tibia, thereby causing pain. This causes inflammation in the outer layer of the bone, called the periosteum. It is directly related to the repetitive pounding forces associated with running, etc. The soleus muscle has to flex and pull in response to the pounding and this aggravates the periosteum.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That all was not well. Skiing, walking, and jogging all caused this burning pain for me from an early age. I started having arthritis-like pain in my hips and legs in my 20's and no one knew why. I can now look back in retrospect to an even earlier time and recognize signs of things to come.

Love, Mikie
  8. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

Wrapping the shins also helps a lot. I remember this from track & field. I would have my lower legs wrapped and it helped with the pain a lot. I have seen shin wraps that you can buy and I may look into those for my walking. I also have a treadmill, which I've read is much better for shin splints than walking/running outdoors because it is a much softer surface. And I will definitely look into those shoes! Thanks!!

Also, it isn't necessarily the weight, but the impact that causes shin splints and aggravates the condition. That is why walking in the grass, on the treadmill, etc. are all suggestions to help prevent shin splints because the surface is softer and the impact is not as great.