Shingles + CFS anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dolphin_lover, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Dolphin_lover

Dolphin_lover New Member

Hi I have had CFS & FM for 17 years. Last Nov 2004, I got shingles all up and down my left arm and elbow with a little on my left chest and left shoulder. I STILL HAVE SHINGLES! Its 08/05! I was bed-ridden for 2 months with vomiting and diarrhea. The virus is still showing very stongly in my bloodtest and I am still getting the rash and itching on my arm. I have been on valtrex since the beginning. I went to "emergency" the day after the rash broke out. Doctor says I don't have PHN (post herpetic neuralgia). Has anyway struggled as long as I have with this and what has helped you? Has anyone else even heard of a PWC with shingles this long? I have been getting gamma globulin IVs (to build up my immune system) now for about a year (b/4 I got shingles). It has been hell! The first 3 months I was almost as sick as I was 17 years ago, when I first got CFS.

Help? Anyone? Thank you for your time and effort.

Dolphin_lover
  2. helpeachother

helpeachother New Member

Hi and so sorry you are suffering so much. Ive "only" had shingles for about 4 months now and its a real trial.

NANNA is right. I learned here about the tagament (stores have generics for half the cost) and tried it. It works this way for me:

Total of five pills a day; one wake up, one noon, one supper and then two at bedtime.

The thing is that it relieves the itching blebs rash and burning. If you miss one or two pills it all comes piling back. But its worth it not to miss this pill.

Unfortunately, it does nothing for the actual nerve inflammation (aka pain) for me.

Worth a try, it might get at least the outer skin stuff some relief. Good Luck. Peace
  3. Prunella

Prunella New Member

I haven't had that,but I am surprised you doc hasn't tried a different anti-viral on you. Famvir is newer and is supposed to work better and have fewer side effects. I have taken it for cold sores. It is the only one I can tolerate.

Also, do you avoid nuts, chocolate, oats, corn and other high arginine foods? That could really help, along with eating foods high in lysine. I don't remember what they are, but you could do a Google search.

Boy, I hope you feel better soon. I didn't know shingles could last that long. You need to get over this.

Just a thought.... Could the gamma globulin be making you sick?

Do you take a good probiotic and garlic? Can you reduce sugar in your diet?

I hope you get over this soon. I'll be praying for you.
  4. Dolphin_lover

Dolphin_lover New Member

Thanks to you who offered advice on tagamet and to Prunella. I am not familiar with the arginine and lysine foods, but will definately look them up. Thank you so much for your prayers also. Great info!

I pray Gods special blessings on you today!

Dolphin_lover
  5. helpeachother

helpeachother New Member

Bump for julie-mom2seven SHINGLES & TAGAMENT
  6. moonlightkitty

moonlightkitty New Member

Good advice above ^^^^.

In an article on here on treating parvovirus with gamma globulin, it mentioned that one of the patients didn't even test positive for the virus UNTIL getting the treatment. I wonder if it's bringing more stuff out of you? Would your doctor do further tests to see what's showing up?
  7. winsomme

winsomme New Member

have you tried the herpes antivirals like valtrex?

normal people who get shingles take valtrex for a very brief time, but people with CFS may need to take it for a longer time because of an impaired immune system.

also i have been reading about an alt med called Protocel that people use for cancer treatment, but also for some viral reactivations.

do a google for "protocel, herpes" and see what you get.

let me know if i can help anymore.

thanks
    bill