Shingles Vaccine, Anyone?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by fivesue, Aug 16, 2007.

1. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Has anyone had one? My husband's doctor prescribed one for him...he had it yesterday. Had to go to county health for it, and it cost $150...

From the sheet of info, it is given to people 60 and over a prevents shingles or minimizes the severity. The vaccine was first given in 2006...

So,other than a sore arm today, he has no effects.

Has anyone had experience with this? Heard of anyone having it? Problems?

I am off to the doc today, and I think I will ask about it, also. I have seen people with shingles and it "ain't a pretty sight!"

So, I posted this on the FM board and only one response about chicken pox vaccine. Just wondering.

2. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I did just post this link on the FM board - it is to WebMD -

It takes you to Webmd and they talk about it there. Just copy & paste the link to your internet.

Oh well - it gives some info even though I have never had it.

3. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Hi, some discussion before here on the board (search "Shingles" under "content" in box on upper left of page.)
    I haven't had vaccination, but will when more available ($250 here). Just hope I don't wait too long and get shingles. Mr Bill
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Husband had it and his arm is very sore, hot and he has a headache this AM. Don't know if the headache is related...

I think it's a good idea, myself...won't give it here unless you are 60 or over.

Didn't get a chance to talk to doc about it yesterday...cholesterol levels took center stage. Blech.

Yet another pill.

5. sisland

sisland New Member

Never Heard of this Before,,,,,But Guessing it's a Good idea! hope your DH is ok!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'm going to check out the info in this Vaccine,,,,,,,,,,,,Have a great day!,,,,Hugs,,,,,Sis
  6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

He went to work, but didn't feel that great. I have been out and about, tried to call him, but he's not at his desk.

I didn't get to talk to my doc about the vaccine...I'm going to make another appointment because all our time was used in going over my blood work.

But, from what I've seen and heard about Shingles, I think a vaccine sounds like such a good idea. Sometimes the pain from shingles can become permanent.

Hope you and Lucky are having a great day swimming...glad you and your dad are safe...thank goodness.

Talk to you later.

7. Alary

Alary Member

Thanks for posting about this. I didn't know there is one. My mother got shingles and was miserable for weeks. A neighbor got encephalitis and her doctors say it was from a virus that could be realated to shingles.
  8. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I did read that encephilitus (sp?) can come from shingles. Not a good thing.

I'm glad this was of help to you. I had never heard of it before my husband came home with his prescription to get one. His arm is very sore, but hopefully this evening he feels better.

Did your mom's pain eventually go away? That reminds me...I need to tell my mom about it. I would hate for her to get this.

9. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi again
    years ago when i was a Nurses aide i took care of a guy with shingles ,,,oh man was he in alot of pain! He had a ring of sores around his abdomen,,,,,,,

it was awful for him to even wear a shirt,,,,,,he eventualy healed up from them,,,but i don't think they had a Vaccine back in the earlie 90's,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'm glad your husband got the vaccine! wow it's spendy!,,,

Check out the photo in my bio and that will tell you what i've been doing latley!,,,,,,,,lolol,,,,Sis
  10. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Those look sooooo good! I have read that you have gotten some orders for them....I can now see why! Baking in the heat, however, doesn't sound like that much fun. But, getting to eat these cookies and then making money, does.

Hope your weekend is great. Take a break and go swimming with your cute little doggie...!