Shingles vaccine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kay31, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Kay31

Kay31 Member

Has anyone gotten clearance for a shingles vaccine? I'm leary of getting one since our systems are so sensitive to vaccines.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/18/2010]
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

Most only get it once, but of course others have had it more than a couple of times. Nutritional support of course is first line of defense, but despite taking a lot of supplements - I've had it. It was scary because it was on my jaw line and circled around the back of my neck and crossed the midline of the body to the other side of my neck; it is supposed to be extremely rare to cross the midline, plus of course you don't want to get it anywhere near your eyes.

SO if you get it, what I can recommend highly is acupuncture - after the first session there was an obvious difference already, I could see the lesions had already changed. I had started the med, but, had started getting really ill plus the pain just a couple of hours prior to that first session.

All of that stopped with that first session, in fact I experienced a boost of energy and I was shopping that afternoon! I followed up with 3 or 4 more sessions over the next 6 days, and it was totally gone.

Many also have found quick relief from using Tagamet/cimetidine (which I didn't know about when I had it).

I have a friend who'd had shingles for 6 months around his groin (!) and no meds were helping til he tried this - it disappeared within a week! If you're interested in this, google ' Life Extension cimetidine shingles ' - cimetidine has interesting properties, including some anti-cancer ones. (My friend didn't want to do acupuncture as he has a fear of needles!)

hope that helps anyone who is suffering or might get it...
    all the best,

3. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Sometimes an outbreak is just a mild case rather than severe. I had shingles about 5 years ago (have had CFS/FM for 30 years). I had it on one side of my neck, face, behind one ear, and part of the way down one side of my back.

I went to the doctor and he put me on Famvir but I had an allergic reaction after the first 2 doses. He said there was no point in trying another anti viral because they would do the same thing to me.

It was a miserable experience but he said it was a mild case. Sure didn't feel mild. It did go away on it's own in about 3 weeks, gradually.
    I don't take supplements and didn't really do anything for it. I just took something for pain and tried to rest. It wasn't easy. GB66