Shingles vaccine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Marta608, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Marta608

Marta608 Member

There was a post about the pros and cons of this but I can't find it now.

As yet another friend developed Shingles I'm asking the question again: to vaccinate or not to vaccinate.

As many know the CDC says yes for those over 60 who had chicken pox as a child. Others believe those of us with a compromised immune system should not have the vaccine.

I've read that B-12 and lysine can be helpful as a prevention and treatment. They're said to reduce the symptoms of pain and itch as well as shorten the duration.

High doses of lysine can raise cholesterol and increase the chance of gall stones so care must be taken with these things and a physician should monitor them.

What do you think? Vaccine or no with CFS/ME?

Thanks for your time and energy.
  2. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you responding to this issue is not particularly relevant. You don't have CFS, therefore you don't have the things going on in your body that those of us who do have CFS have. We have the weird drug reactions, the sensitivity to even small doses of anything, the incredible fear and anxiety that even the thought of taking medications induces, not to mention the immune system issues. I speak from 16 years of CFS and I'm sorry, but not even grapeseed extract can save us from EVERYTHING regardless of what a pendulum says. I, for one, wouldn't get a shingles vaccine for all the tea in China and I feel far better qualified to make that decision or comment on it than someone who doesn't even have this disease. I can't even take a normal dose of a strong antibiotic without it doing something to stir up the latent herpes in my body so that I got Bells Palsy twice.

I know you have orthopedic issues and pain issues. I know you've had a hip replacement. All that is bad, but it still doesn't make you understand what it feels like to have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. It's like me trying to consul someone who has breast cancer on what to take or do. I can't. I don't know how that person feels or what goes on in their body because I don't have it .
    I sure as heck wouldn't automatically suggest taking grapeseed extract to them.

I have read and posted on this forum for many years and some information is helpful, some is not. Some people's experiences are relevant and apply to me, some do not. At least most of the people on here actually have do not.

3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

As I suspected, opinions run the gamut of yes to no.

Harrysmom is right, no criticism to Jamin since she often has many helpful things to say. CFS/ME makes our bodies respond in very weird ways to things.

Yesterday I had what many would call a normal day, except no nap. A friend and I went out for a late lunch, or as we call it "linner". We went to check on a possible second cat for me, then came back and talked for two hours. I was exhausted when he left but thought a good night's sleep would get me back to my normal.

I could not sleep last night, nor could I nap. The more I sleep during the day, the better I sleep at night. Go figure. And I'm so tired of being tired..............

Keep the opinions coming, please and

Thank you.

4. sharon45

sharon45 New Member

I have CFS and recently (last week) got the shingles vaccine @ Rite Aid. The only reaction I've had is a quarter size red mark where I got the injection . . . it doesn't hurt at all, and I was told to expect a red mark.

I've seen too many older people get shingles and never completely recover. So, I'm more afraid of getting shingles than having a reaction that affects my ME/CFS, and like most of us, I've suffered a great deal with unrelenting fatigue, pain, fibro fog, etc.

Two yrs ago, I had pneumonia; I recovered, then a few months later had a bad lung infection. I truly thought I might actually die from the pneumonia, it was so bad. So, last yr. I got the pneumonia vaccine; I had no reaction to that either.

And, I've taken the flu shot every yr it's been available.

But, you know your body better than anyone else; so, it's definitely a call you should make.

I hope this helps a little. BTW, I'm 67 . . . definitely an older person. LOL.

Soft Hugs,
    Nikki (Sharon)
    [This Message was Edited on 09/17/2012]
  5. I've had CFS/ME for almost nine years now and I've always read and been told by alternative med docs to stay away from vaccines because of my compromised immune system. I had taken the flu vaccine for many years until I discovered that it was aggrivating my condition and making it worse.

I know the thought of getting shingles is scary, but I would rather look into natural remedies that might boost my compromised immune system.

I also learned that mercury is used as a preservative for most vaccines and is another reason I avoid vaccines now. I have enough problems from the mercury in my amalgam fillings not helping my condition... don't want to add to it!

Hope this helps some!

Blessings and Gentle Hugs,
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Good advice!

This goes back to what a friend calls Rule #1: Every body is different.

The last time I got a flu shot, I got the flu, so my doctor advised me to skip it, which I did last year. Didn't get the flu. Of course, I'm not out and about as much as healthy people are. I keep a bottle of disinfectant liquid in my car and use it when coming from a store or appointment. I also wiping the counter with disinfectant wipes after sitting grocery bags on it. I may be overdoing it, but it's a habit now.

Eating food that's good for me and getting enough rest is about all I've found that I can do. Oh, and trying not to stress about things beyond my control. I'm not even close to having that one licked!

7. Toga

Toga Member

I am going through post neuro pain right now after having Shingles. I would not wish any of this on my worst enemy. I don't know who that would be anyway.

Shingles is awful especially when you already don't feel well because of some chronic condition. For me that is FM and Osteoarthitis. I am allergic to ALL pain meds except Tylonol. That made my Shingles episode even worse.

My primary advised against the Shingles vaccine (he does not treat my FM.) But he also doesn't believe in Flu Shots either. I get one every year at Walgreens. Never had the flu.

I wanted the Shingles Shot but kept putting it off because of the cost. It was always, maybe next week.... I really really wish I had gone ahead and gotten it. Even if it wouldn't have prevented maybe it wouldn't have beeen so bad.

I had a few days where I just moaned and groaned and cried all the time and I'm not a cryer. I'm pretty tough.

So my opinion is YES get the vaccine unless you have a very good reason not to do so. I'm going to get it as soon as I can once this pain lets up and I can wear a bra.

A pox on shingles, Toga
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I'm so sorry you're going through all this on top of your other health problems. You sound like my friend, only she has CFS/ME as well.

Good luck to you. (A pox on shingles. I see you haven't lost your sense of humor! Good one.)

9. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

With most illness it seems that if you've had it once you cannot get it a second time. This doesn't appear to be the case with shingles.

Why aren't you immune after having it once? Why does the vaccine work if having had the disease doesn't provide immunity? I've always wondered about this.

I had shingles once and thought I'd be immune but I've read that some people have it a second time.
  10. Toga

Toga Member

That's a very good question gb66. I would think the disease would be a better immunity then the vaccine. That's a question I'm going to ask the doctors I go to as well as anyone else I think might be smart enough to have an educated opinion.

I had a better day today but still am not "right." But I do hope that today is a sign that things are gettting better. It was a beautiful day in this part of Missouri and I went outside for a few minutes to visit with the barn cats, Daryl and Daryl. They looked exactly alike when they were kittens and I couldn't think of better names. They are so sweet.

Everyone have a wonderful night.

11. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I hope you start feeling better soon. I know it really hurts. I had it about 6 years ago on my neck, face, chest and back, all on the left side.

I was afraid it would reach my eye but it stopped on my cheek. The worst place was behind my left ear, so sensitive I could hardly wear my glasses. It took about a month or so to clear up.

My doctor prescribed Famvir but I could only take a little piece of one. I broke out in a very large red, puffy place on my leg. He told me not to take anymore; allergic.

I would like to know why immunity doesn't happen. Wonder if anyone knows?

I love the names of your kittens. I used to watch Newhart. Always liked his first show the best though, the one with "Emily". GB66
    [This Message was Edited on 09/19/2012]
  12. Marta608

Marta608 Member

First, I love the cats' name. Thank you for the smile, Toga. :)

Second, Jamin, a question. When you talk about the healing powers of grape seed extract, I get confused between that and grapeFRUIT seed extract. Maybe you can explain the difference - or I can get a nap and look it up. :)

Last but not least, I have NO idea why having shingles wouldn't prevent a reoccurance. Excellent point, gb! I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning and I will try to ask him. I have a loooooong list of questions, so I hope there's time.

Have the best day you possibly can. The other day I made a list of all the little things I can still do and enjoy for which I am thankful, the things we take for granted. It felt good.

Blessings to you,
  13. Marta608

Marta608 Member

It would seem to me that either would be helpful for CFS/ME since it is now considered a virus by many including Dr. Lerner of MI.

I don't want to change the thread so I'll continue on this topic another time.

Thanks again.
  14. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Whether or not you can catch shingles from another person depends on whether or not you've had chicken pox previously. It is a virus.

If you've never had chicken pox, you could catch shingles from someone, but if you have had chicken pox, you can't because you're immune to the virus.

But shingles lies dormant in the bodies of people that HAVE had chicken pox and then for unknown reason, is reactivated causing the shingles outbreak.

You don't actually catch it again. It's already in your system. It's in the nerves. I was reading about it online and I hope I have it right. If not, someone can correct this.

Some say it's caused by stress but, if that were true, a lot of folks would have it every time they turn around! It may be stress in some cases, but obviously there are other triggers. GB66
    [This Message was Edited on 09/19/2012]
  15. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hello all, I just got back from my doctor and asked him about getting the vaccine. He said NO. He said it's a live virus and, with an already compromised immune system as well as having the Encephalomyelitis virus, it could be trouble.

This made up my mind. I hope it helps others.

16. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Yep, I did Jam. Funny though, he never asked that question. He based his answer solely on my current health issue.

17. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

No problem. This is one confusing subject and we still don't know why we don't develop an immunity after having shingles one time. Maybe someone can research this and post it here.

I'd really like to find out. I haven't had a vaccine since the polio vaccine in the 1960's. I've never had the flu shots and haven't had the flu since getting CFS/FM. I know I'd have a bad reaction to the shots.

I had all the childhood diseases when I was a kid, we had few vaccines then. I'm 72. I had chicken pox twice; really. My grandmother said my sister and I both had mild cases when we were little and after my fourth baby was born, I had it again.

My 7 year old caught c pox at school and then my 6 week old baby and I both had severe cases. My two other kids had milder cases. The "baby" is 46 now and still has scars on his face.

I developed aspirin poisoning according to my doctor because I took so much aspirin for fever. I didn't know any better. Took them around the clock. I remember sweating so much we had to change the sheets and air out the mattress.

When it comes to illness, there don't appear to be any hard and fast rules. I was told by our gp when my daughter was diagnosed with the c pox that since I'd had it, I was safe and that the baby was immune because of his age. NOT. lol GB66
    [This Message was Edited on 09/20/2012]
  18. My husband called and got us scripts to get the vaccine but for some reason I am leary of it. Especially a new vaccine. I do get the flu shot. I am waiting to talk to my family dr and my rheum. dr. first.
    I know its a painful thing to get but am always afraid of the side effects of new vaccines.