shingles

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Biba2005, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Biba2005

Biba2005 New Member

hi I am from England. Has anyone reading this message board ever had shingles....?
  2. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

Sorry I have never had Shingles but im sure someone will come along who has...

I just wanted to welcome you to a great board with lots of caring, supportive and understanding people!!

Hugs
    Bluerose
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

I was helped by acupuncture, but have since found tagament/cimetidine helps many. Of course not everyone can take it for various reasons, but if you can, it's cheap and OTC!

Life extension (lef.org) has the protocol online free under 'shingles' but I also have it below; cimetidine can also help the immune system for certain cancers if you read their whole article.

While they do state to start cimetidine immediately, I have a friend who couldn't get rid of it in his groin for 6 months using valtrex etc., but the cimetidine worked for him nas soon as he used it, and cleared within a few weeks!
    ---------
    Acute Herpes Zoster

1. Within 3 days after the onset of the shingles rash, see a physician to begin a program of antiviral drugs and aggressive pain relief therapy. If you are over 50 and have no contraindications, steroid therapy may hold benefits for quality of life.
    2. Cimetidine (Tagamet) may put a shingles outbreak into remission. Begin administration as soon as symptoms appear: 200 mg 3 times daily, followed by 400 mg at bedtime.
    3. At the same time, begin a regimen of nutrient supplements with antiviral and anti-inflammatory actions. These supplements will help minimize the replication of the virus and therefore complications like PHN.
    * Garlic extract (Pure-Gar), up to eight 900-mg capsules daily.
    * Oregano, 30 drops of liquid extract daily, or rosemary oil, 20-40 drops of tincture daily.
    * Olive leaf extract, one to two 500-mg capsules daily.
    * Fish oil: Take a high-concentrated supplement providing at least 1000 mg of DHA, 400 mg of EPA, and 900 mg of GLA (gamma-linolenic acid) daily.
    * Monolaurin, one to two 300-mg capsules.
    * Grapefruit seed extract, one to three 125-mg capsules daily, or green tea extract, five to seven capsules daily.
    * Echinacea, one to two 250-mg capsules daily.
    4. Support recovery by taking an antioxidant formula that will neutralize free-radical damage. Life Extension Mix contains vitamins C, E, beta-carotene, and B vitamins that will promote healing, 9 tablets daily.
    5. Extracts of Chinese motherwort and Ling Zhi can be used in a bath to relieve the itching and discomfort of the shingles rash.
    6. Use zinc oxide or calamine lotion on the rash, and watch for signs of secondary infection such as redness or swelling. If these signs are present, consult a physician immediately to help prevent scarring.
    ------------------
    hope this helps!

all the best,
    Victoria
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i had my first bout this past bebruary. and hopefully my last.

they gave me zovirex, i think that's name of it. it attacked my sciatica are on my bum about they siaze of a sivler dollar.

hugs to you

jodie