Shingles?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IlivetocantoronXena, Jun 23, 2006.

1. IlivetocantoronXena

IlivetocantoronXena New Member

How many of You have had shingles at a younger age than normal? I have at 39 and got them again in 2005. Just wondering? It must have something to do with our missed up immune system.
    Thanks,
    Michelle

2. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I haven't had them before (knock on wood) but found you on page 2 and thought you could use a bump!
  3. mrpain

mrpain New Member

I think shingles are chicken pox that has been lying dorment in your body..
  4. IlivetocantoronXena

5. IlivetocantoronXena

Yes I believe they are?
    But man that means I have had them 3 times in my life so far.
  6. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

Yes - shingles are the chicken pox 'virus'. You have to have had chicken pox when you were young in order to get shingles.

Of course, you can get chicken pox as an adult - but that is not pleasant.
  7. tonakay

tonakay New Member

Get several outbreaks a year. So does my mom, we are in the unlucky 5% that ever gets a repeat outbreak.... sigh.
  8. fabricaholic

fabricaholic New Member

I have had shingles several times in the past several years. repeat shingles is a responce to an autoimmune abnormality/disease sorry to say.

Unfortunatlly my mom nor I can ever rember me having chickn pox the only way I knew I had ever had them is from a blood test for the titer which shows I have the immunities to them. weird huh?.

there is now a new vaccine that just came on the market for people who have never had the shingles (insurance wont pay for it yet so you have to pay cash...bummer its $200.00) its like the chicken pox vaccine your kids get. at that price I think I'd rather undergo a case of he singles.

I have been taking 800mg of acyclovier 3x daily as well as allegra 180 3x daily and that seems to have helped against an outbreak (haven't had one in a year! YIPPIE!!!)

talk to your doc and see what they say.

fabricaholic
  9. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I don't think 39 is that uncommon of an age to get shingles .... I've had two friends who have gotten shingles BEFORE age 25, one that just had a flare up and she's in her early thirties. It's probably becoming more prevalent earlier in life because we're super stressed out and having health issues earlier ...? Don't know, random theory.

I haven't had shingles (yet) but I think I probably will at some point because of my body.

Have you taken meds? Like a anti-herpes virus drug valtrex? My friend had that given to her and it made it significantly better. :)
  10. laura3951

laura3951 New Member

hey i have ra and have a friend with fibro so i was just reading for her. but i had shingles at 19and have had several episodes since. i just got my arthritis dignosis i am 42. i do think a lousey immune system is the culprit and that we are all connected missy
  11. Terry383

Terry383 New Member

My youngest daughter had them at 11 years old, I had them at 42.
  12. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

The first case of shingles I ever got was about one week after my older son had broken out with chicken pox. I had no idea what they were and just thought I had about eight teeth abcessing at once. (Although I take really great care of my teeth, the pain seemed to stem from there.)

I ran to my dentist, he did a panoramic x-ray and not even so much as a cavity showed. My sinuses were clear as a bell too. Next morning I woke up thinking I had pink eye. I went to my doctor and he confirmed that I had shingles in the trigeminal nerve and they had spread into my eye.

He got me started on an antiviral, I think it was Zovirax and eye drops and warned me about the dangers of cornea damage if I got the shingles in the eye again.

Since then I have had 29 cases of them. Same place, right there where the whole world can see them, on my face. But I have never gotten them in my eye again because now I know what causes the itching and I do not scratch, even as badly as I want to. I have a standing script at my pharmacy now for Valtrex and always have a bottle here.

When I feel the pain and/or itching coming on now, I start the Valtrex immediately and it rarely lasts longer than one to two weeks anymore. Shingles love me.
  13. IlivetocantoronXena

FibroMommyTo7 Tagamet? Are you talking about the antacid med? Hum interesting. OMG the pain is terrible before the break for me.
    Michelle

lurkernomore: Wow I am sorry to hear you have had them 29 times! That stinks. I have heard it is the worsted place to have them where you get them. I really feel for you dear. I to have gotten them in the same darn place also right along the back where your bra strap goes hate wearing the bra still have some sensitive there still. OMG the pain is horrible.
    Michelle
    ellikers: You may be right about the stress factor. Yes last year I had insurance that paid for the med Valtrex and so far so good no shingles in a year.
    Michelle

Thank you all for sharing your stories, at least I know I am not alone.

Blessings to Everyone,
    Michelle
  14. Scarlett65

Scarlett65 New Member

At age 22 I was working in the operating room as a surgical technologist and suddenly I had the worst headache I have ever had. I left work that day went to the doctor and told him about these blisters on my back and then he told me I had shingles.

I was floored that anyone got this at such a young age. Since that time I have outbreaks at random times. Mostly right after a sinus infection or a period of severe stress.

When I was pregnant at age 30 I had 4 clusters at once I was in so much pain. My kidneys stopped functioning during that pregnancy also. It was determined during this pregnancy that I had lupus.

I am now 51 and just got a new shingles outbreak following a severe sinus infection that I am still fighting.
  15. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

Yes, I had shingles when I was around ohhhhh 31 I think....
    I had them around the waist, I remember going to a dermatologist and he knew right away.. Gave me a shot in the butt and special cream I had hubby put on me-

Didn't know what I had at first- the doctor was wonderful and showed me a book explaining shingles.

That doctor was 80 years old at the time- bless his little soul- and one of the best around here....

Hope they never come Back
  16. kriskwon

kriskwon New Member

.You are SO lucky that you have not had any permanent damage. Getting them on your face is the absolute worse place you can get them. Don't know the Scientific Why's (I think Mikie might know - very smart lady!), but I know that area is so sensitive and have a lot of nerve endings.

My doctor know's of serveral people who have gone blind from them getting them on their face. This is probably one place you would want your doctor to monitor for you.

I first got my shingles at age 42 and was perfectly healthy way back then! I have has them now 43 times. Fun, let me tell you!
  17. victoria

victoria New Member

FibroMommyto7 - glad it helped you.

I've posted about this a lot, as I'd researched alternatives for a friend who couldn't get rid of shingles, he had it in the genital area so it was REALLY extra painful. Tagamet was the thing that helped him finally, despite taking the anitvirals prior to this.

Life Extension Organization first published the gathered research and protocol, you can read about why it works at http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2001/mar2001_report_tagamet_1.html
    or look up lef.org and then look under health conditions and click on shingles - all their info about standard and alternative protocols is free online. Basically, it helps the immune system.

The'protocol':
    ------------------
    Published studies indicate that viruses like herpes simplex and herpes zoster can be put into quick remission, or the breakouts prevented altogether, when T-lymphocyte suppressor cell function is inhibited.

The best way of accomplishing this is to take 200 mg of cimetidine (Tagamet) three times a day and then 400 mg a bedtime.

...Suggested use is to initiate Tagamet as soon as symptoms of a herpes-related virus infection appear. Continue to take it for one to two weeks after all symptoms of the outbreak have abated.

One precautionary note, even though Tagamet (cimetidine) is sold over-the-counter, refer to the package insert to make sure it does not interact with prescription drugs you may already be taking.

Please note that if your doctor prescribes generic cimetidine, it may cost less to obtain it as a prescription drug (especially if you have prescription drug insurance) rather than buying the Tagamet name brand that is available without a prescription.

------------

When I got shingles it was before I knew about this... I went to my doctor who uses electro-acupuncture and it immediately made a huge difference for me. I would highly recommend acupuncture as well if you have the money for it. My friend did not do it as he has a phobia about needles.

Hope you're feeling better by now, just wanted to give you and others this info for future and current reference if necessary.

All the best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 07/03/2006]