shingles

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by onesmileymyley, Dec 12, 2002.

1. onesmileymyley

onesmileymyley New Member

What excatly are shingles and how does a person get them? I ask because many have said that they had horrific rib pain when they had shingles and that is my biggest complaint. I have bad rib pain. Some mentioned sores. do you get sores with shingles? I do not have any sores just a lot of brusis all over my shins....thank you in advance...shannon
  2. onesmileymyley

onesmileymyley New Member

What excatly are shingles and how does a person get them? I ask because many have said that they had horrific rib pain when they had shingles and that is my biggest complaint. I have bad rib pain. Some mentioned sores. do you get sores with shingles? I do not have any sores just a lot of brusis all over my shins....thank you in advance...shannon
  3. JaneG

JaneG New Member

Shannon - I had shingles once and I sincerely hope that you do not have them -- they were HORRIBL!!!

They can start as just a red spot - I thought mine were some kind of bug bites - and then the pain begins!! I had a classic case - they started on the middle of my back, just above the waist and circled around my waist down onto my stomach. They kinda resemble chicken pox - in fact, they are the same virus as chicken pox.

They are EXTREMELY painful - my dr. put me on vicodin every 4 hours and sometime that didn't help - luckily, I had gone to the emergency room as soon as it started- mine started by itching and a nagging pain in my back where they were- and the dr. there immediately put me on some medicine that if you take right away, lessens the severity of the shingles.

I had them for about 10 days and it was terrible. I could hardly wear clothes because I couldn't stand to have anything touch them. Also had stabbing pains all along the line of the shingles - dr. said that shingles really attacks nerve endings thus causing all the pain. Sometimes after the sores disappear, you can still have pain in that area for some time.

I hope that you do not have shingles - oh, you can get them anywhere on your body - a friend of mine had them underneath her breasts and up onto her neck - but please, if you have these pox-like spots and pain, call your dr.

I will be thinking good thoughts that this is not shingles -will be watching for a post to see how yoy are. JaneG
  4. darlamk

darlamk New Member

Hi Shannon, I don't know if you are aware but shingles are caused by a virus too. If you don't have a red rash perhaps your pain is an inflammation in your rib cage area called costochondritis. (I hope I spelled that right)I started having the rib cage pain about 2 yrs ago. It can be really sharp pain & almost stabbing like. It seems like a lot of us have these symptoms. For some reason my cervical neck injury exercises have helped with mine.
    Good luck!
    Darla
  5. Nikki

Nikki Member

you can even have shingles in your mouth. They resemble cankor sores (lots of them) . . . but you only have them on one side of the inside of your mouth. I ran a low grade fever and had swollen lympth nodes. I ended up going to an ENT for a dx. My PCP had no clue as to what was going on. I was given an antiviral med, which ended up giving me joint and back pain. No fun.............Nikki
  6. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I had the shingles about 4 or 5 yrs ago..I would rather give birth to 10kids at once..I had horrible pain..I got the pain first, it was so bad I didn't know what to do..Hubby took me to the ER, I really thought I was having some kind of problems with my kidneys..I started with pain on a Sat. but never broke out until Monday..But the ER dr. just took a lucky guess, after running some labs, and by the way I described my pain that he thought I might have the shingles..He put me on anti-viral meds and also vicodin..Sometimes the vicodin didn't even touch the pain..Just like Jane said, I couldn't stand clothes, nothing..
    It is the same virus that causes chicken pox..In fact, in order to get shingles, they say you have had to have chicken pox earlier in life..Most people I know, including myself, have usually gotten shingles after a real stressful situation in their lives..Some drs. say they are contagious, while others don't..
    Shingles cause stabbing pains, because they are affecting nerves..There have been known cases where pain from shingles can last up to months..
    If you have not, please check with your dr..
    Take Care........Best Wishes...........Donna
  7. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Dear smiley.......
    I've had shingles, and believe me, if you had them you would know it!!!!!! Shingles are from the chicken pox virus, and if you've ever had chicken pox, you could get shingles. The virus lies dormant in thespine, and for some reason, it becomes active for some of us. It follows the nerve along the ribs under the breast and around to the back. It also can follow the nerve on the face to the eye. It usually has reddened skin , and you break out in blisters. It is EXTREMELY painful and only can be treated with an antiviral med IF caught in the early stages. This med will usually effective only in that it can relieve some symptoms, not all of them.
    How do I know all thisS??? I am an RN and also had the shingles one time - believe me once IS enough.
    I agree that you could have costochondritis or the plain old chest/rib pain associated with fibro, too.
    good luck
    sue