Shingles

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suncatcher1, Mar 2, 2003.

1. suncatcher1

suncatcher1 New Member

Has anyone ever had singles? I broke out this last week and was given Valtrex for the condition. I always wonder if anything I get is associated with FM. Any thoughts or comments?
  2. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

Shingles is something I have experienced. It is what started my road down to CFIDS/FM symptoms. The doctors I talked to and the articles I have read all stated that when the immune system becomes deficient/dysfunctions then the shingles(herpes zoster)which was dormant in your nervous system becomes active. You are wise to have gotten treatment as it will more than likely prevent a lot of pain in the future. I also wonder if people are genetically predisposed to shingles. In my family my brother and father have also had shingles but we all had it different years apart. That is to say we did not infect each other. My brother & I had it on our torso but my poor father had it on his face and in his eye. He did have slight vision loss from damage and he suffered greatly from pain whereas my bro and I didn't suffer nearly as much or for so long. I had it 2 years ago and sometimes the area the rash occurred has mild pricking sensations. The itching can drive you crazy as well. I enjoyed being rubbed with alcohol drenched cotton balls in the rash areas but if your skin is very dry that probably wouldn't work for you. Hope you are feeling better & hope you aren't in too much pain.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That you are suffering from this painful condition. We are lucky now to have drugs for this which will help if taken early in the outbreak. Years ago, there was not much help for shingles and people just had to suffer. You are in my prayers.

Love, Mikie
  4. judywhit

judywhit New Member

more of a nuisense really. Is there a link to fms and shingles?
  5. Fireball

Fireball New Member

A week or so ago, I broke out in a rash all over the torso part of my body. The rash looks like a ton of pimples that really itch a lot. I can't help scratching them open and then they scab up. I have no idea if I have shingles. I do have fibro and chronic fatigue though. This rash has gotten quite a bit better. I probably should have seen a doctor. I have never had an outbreak like this before. Thanks.
  6. VickyB

VickyB New Member

I had shingles 7 years ago on the left side of my head and I still have burning and itching where the breakout happened (pain after a month is called Post Herpectic Neuralgia). My fms started from the shingles but I do not know for sure if that is what caused it or not. Or if the trauma of the shingles and PHN caused the fms. But I do know they are all tied together somehow.
    The pain was awful!! I hope you are doing better.
    I did not get Valtrex in time to stop the PHN. I hope this doesn't happen to you.
    Good luck to you, Vicky
  7. NightAngel

NightAngel New Member

I've had them about 3 weeks now but it's almost gone. I feel really fortunate though because I saw some pics of shingles on the web and most people get a bad case of them; where mine are "only" about 3 inches by 3 inches (if you count the red area and not just the blisters themselves.)

At first I thought a spider had gotten ahold of me, because it was looking like it was necrotizing (sp?). But I went to the dr and he said it is Shingles. I took a anti-viral med called Famvir something-er-other for 10 days and I've been using a topical arthritis cream called Zostrix. The Zostrix is sold over the counter and is kinda expensive but it helps a lot. Sometimes it burns but then it starts doing its magic and takes away a lot of the pain and itching. If you use this cream, supposedly you can usually protect yourself from Post Herpatic Pain. I keep forgetting to use this a lot of the time and I'm crossing my fingers that I've at least used it enough times to do some good. I also have Polyneuropathy with most of the neuropathy being sensory loss, and I read that a person with sensory neuropathy stands a bigger chance of having the Post Herpatic Pain Syndrome.

Good luck to you and hang in there! :)
    [This Message was Edited on 03/02/2003]
  8. NightAngel

NightAngel New Member

I forgot to mention to you that I have FMS.

9. JLH

JLH New Member

I personally don't think shingles have anything to do with fibro. They are from the chicken pox virus, and like others have said, it is dormant in your system. Stress is the biggest facter to cause an episode of shingles. My husband, who does not have fibro, had a bad case right after his brother died. The rash is extremely painful. He was put on prednisone and something else, can't remember what. The steroids helped a lot. Hope you get through this OK.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/03/2003]
  10. fibolady

fibolady New Member

thank goodness you were diagnoised quickly and got on the valtrex. the valtrex worked for me, after being misdiagnoised twice and the area spreading across my stomach. fortunately, i did not have the blisters or the extreme itching. but just the same, it was the horrid shingles. looked like someone had put a hot iron across my stomach.

hopefully, none of us will see the "shingles" again. i hope not!

warm regards, fibolady
  11. Hippo

Hippo New Member

I got Shingles last fall, and I attribute it to stress. I am nearly bedridden with CFS/FM, and to make matters worse, my husband is divorcing me. The extra stress of meeting with lawyers and having him behave deplorably in front of both lawyers was so traumatic for me, I developed Shingles shortly after a particularly agonizing meeting. I was given Acyclovir and it got better after about a month.

Hippo
  12. VickyB

VickyB New Member

I personally say YES because it happened to me. Maybe not everyone that has shingles or phn will get fms just like every person that has a flu shot will get fms symptoms but I say it can happen just the same. No one can say for sure that fms is not caused by a virus or a flu shot or anything else for that matter.
    So be sure and take care of yourself so that it doesn't happen to you. I tried everything that was listed over the years and sometimes nothing works to get rid of the pain.
    Good luck to you, Vicky
  13. VickyB

VickyB New Member

I personally say YES because it happened to me. Maybe not everyone that has shingles or phn will get fms just like every person that has a flu shot will get fms symptoms but I say it can happen just the same. No one can say for sure that fms is not caused by a virus or a flu shot or anything else for that matter.
    So be sure and take care of yourself so that it doesn't happen to you. I tried everything that was listed over the years and sometimes nothing works to get rid of the pain.
    Good luck to you, Vicky
  14. robin

robin New Member

oh my gawd..my mom had shingles in her senior yrs
    and had them for a few YEARS! They didn't have medicine
    then and I remember her crying on the phone saying
    how painful they were and she couldn't even get dressed!
    My mom doesn't cry easily so I knew she was in great
    pain in her side going into the back. A horrid experience
    for her and I know some have commited suicide over the
    problem, mostly senior citizens.
    Mom is 91 now and over the shingles but she went thru
    hell. My next door neighbor here had them too for a
    couple of yrs..also a senior. I'm told that it is
    an old chicken pox virus coming back in this form.
    So my mom probably had them in her childhood. That
    when the chicken pox goes away, it mainly goes under
    ground in our systems and can pop up, as shingles,
    many yrs later.
    All shingle sufferers have my profound sympathy.
    those of us who haven't had it yet and may not get
    it can thank the good Lord for it as I have..
    Two things I pray to be spared from; Alzheimers and
    shingles; I wish I had added diabetes to the list
    and I might not have that. I guess that's what I get
    for being overweight...:>( Exercising brings on a
    flare from my RA and /or fibro. It's a no win situation.

Robin
  15. ReneeRN

ReneeRN New Member

Hi all, Part of CF is immune deficiency. Stress usually brings on shingles in immune compromised people who have had chicken pox. The rash/blister follow dermatones with intense itching. My daughter had it about two years ago. We treated it with a homeopathic remedy by Newton. I can't remember if it was the one for exema or chicken pox but it worked. My daughter (11yo at the time) hated the alchohol taste but would remind me to give it to her, since she knew it was working. Completely relieved in about a week with no post herpetic neuralgia and no recurrence since.
    Hope this helps prevent future problems.
    God bless, ReneeRN
  16. MissKitty2

MissKitty2 New Member

I am currently recovering from shingles, brought on by stress. I was fortunate enough to get to a doctor within 48 hours of the blisters coming out and he prescribed Valtrex, which seems to have helped quite a bit. I also put vitamin E ointment on the area and it really eased the pain and burning. The best discription I can come up with for the pain of shingles is feeling as though someone is raking a hairbrush over a bad sunburn, or stabbing a redhot poker into my side.

Now that I am on the mend shingle-wise, I have been suffering a lot of body aches. I feel like I have the flu, or as though someone has thrown me down a coupla flights of stairs. Every joint in my body aches, liks I've been whacked all over with a baseball bat. Is this what fibromyalgia/CF feels like? Is this something I should see a doctor about? Is there a relationship between shingles and fibromyalgia/CF?
    [This Message was Edited on 04/23/2003]