Shirl, bumping this for another ??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrorebel, Jun 8, 2003.

1. fibrorebel

fibrorebel New Member

Hi, I have made an important decision to take care of myself as naturally (holistically) as I can. I do know that one has to be careful and knowledgeable as the "naturals" can be as dangerous as the synthetic drugs; i.e. combinations that don't work, toxic levels of intake, etc.

Can you all give me an idea of what is the best way to get going on this? I have done some searches and the info was so widespread and most of it conflicted with each other...
    can't go to a naturalpath as our area only has one and I can't afford to go to him.

I already take Magnesium, calcium,multi,fish oil,B-12 (subling.), and tissue salts. Also do extensive juicing when flaring and when trying to remain alive during times of mal-absorbtion.

I have found with most things like this that getting life-experience from you all is much better than trying to fight my way through unchartered propaganda.

I very appreciate any help in this area from those that like me can't stand to be ying-yanged (mostly yinged,lol) by meds. with lousy side-effects that don't work. Thank you in advance! :) love, Rebel
    [This Message was Edited on 06/09/2003]
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Sorry it took so long to reply. I went 'hunting' down my original post on what I take. What a job that was.

I would like to add, that I do not eat anything with white flour, only one cup of coffee with caffeine in the morning, no sodas (drink water and juices, I do eat a lot of dairy and drink milk, but a lot of people can't do this .

Hope this helps.............

Shalom, Shirl

----------------------------------------------------------

What I take..............................
    I take mainly,supplements, herbs, vitamins, etc. The only med I take is Xanax, low dose (0.25 milligrams) at 6pm for racing brain syndrome. It can also be taken with OTC's Advil gel caps, the Xanax enhances the effect of the Advil, and it is a great pain reliever. BUT do keep in mind that Xanax can be very addictive if used consistantly.

Xanax is an anti anxiety drug, a rather old one. It is addictive, but I only use it once a day, or if I feel an attack coming on.

I have listed below what I take, hope it is helpful. If you have a question, please feel free to ask me, be glad to help.

Shalom, Shirl

Product; Ultra B-Complex (High Potency with Folic Acid)
    (1 capsule after or during lunch) This helps with brain fog, and energy too.

Product; 800IU's of Natural Vitamin E
    (For numbness, heart, blood etc)

Product; Ester C 500 milligrams
    (antioxidant, helps prevent colds, virus etc.)

Product; ZMA (zinc, magnesium, Vitamin B-6)
    For sleep, deep sleep also helps with muscle pains.
    (2 capsules at 10pm )

Product; Jarro-Dophilus (Probotics)
    3 a day for IBS, replaces good bacteria

Product; Melatonin (5milligrams)
    To help fall asleep, take right before bedtime.

All the above can be bought from Pro Health, be sure to ask for a free catalog/Newsletter too. If you want to call the number is; 1-800-366-6056 or you can order on-line. Just go to the 'Store' link on the top right of this page for additional information on supplements.

Product; Essiac Herbal Tea by Resperin Corp.
    This is a blood/liver cleanser. It is also known as a cancer cure/preventive.
    I take two ounces in the morning two ounces at night.
    Can be bought at most health food stores and Supplement catalogs.

Product; Polynesian Pure Noni Juice
    (I take one teaspoon before breakfast, one before lunch for my IBS, it is a great product). I order it by the case!
    Can be bought in most health food stores, be sure you get the 'pure' juice or it won't work.

Product; Natural Calm put out by 'Natural Vitality'
    This is a powdered Magnesium Citrate.
    (I take a teaspoon a day for pain, especially spasms . But don't take too much it will give you diarrhea).

This is about it for the time being, as for a multi vitamin, I have trouble digesting them, so I drink two cans of Ensure a day for the multi.

Also, I drink half my body weight in ounces of water per day, along with a quarter teaspoon of Sea Salt. This has helped with severe sinus headaches, and it seems to have helped the Fibro Fog too.

Here is some good advice; I strongly recommend you add ONE thing at a time for at least a week or two, this way if you have a problem with a product/supplement, you know what is causing it. If you try to take too much at once then if you have a problem, you would have to quit everything and start over again.
    I learned this the hard way, so though I would pass on this wise advice!

It took me years to get the right things that I could take. Wasted a lot of money on eyerything from doctors, prescription meds, and vitamins and herbs too.

Just remember, we are all different, so some of what I take might not be the right thing for you. It really is trial and error with these illnesses.

Hope this helps, and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I am usually here everyday, but not at a special time.

PS, always buy the best supplements you can afford, as you really get what you pay for with supplements. Pro Health has some of the best ones I have ever taken, and I am not just promoting them, its the truth. I have taken there products before I ever heard of this board.

3. fibrorebel

fibrorebel New Member

You are my "hero of the day"!! Thank you for your effort, I printed what you take before; do I know what happened to it? No. So I have printed it again and will be putting it in my new folder I started for this plan I have started.

Another ?, and yes I realize I am really pushing to be a royal pain! :) Can you suggest a good basic book that will guide me through the do's and don'ts? I always like to have a book to reference back to when needed. Especially a life saver during my foggiest times. That is how I lost your post of what you take the 1st time, it was during flare. I don't buy tons of books but do have my favorite reads to use as reference. I know you tend to do the same thing so that is why I wondered if you might have a suggestion or two?

I do still take my xanax when I need to for the stupid anxiety. I have just decided that all the other a.d.s are just not for me. Besides you know my faith...I believe that God knew we would have disease here on earth and therefore He has provided the things we need to counteract it. Considering how much the extensive juicing has donefor me when I was just not absorbing anything else...I am ready to travel down the natural path to best optimum health: body,mind and spirit. I have a read I picked up at a pow wow last summer on Cherokee medicine, haven't had a chance to read it yet. I decided it was a good idea to get it as while I was looking at it from my wheelchair ( it caught my eye because I have Cherokee in me), it flew off the stand where it was and landed on my feet! Put it back and move on??? I think NOT :)!! Thanks for your help with this, I appreciate you! love, Rebel
  4. fibrorebel

fibrorebel New Member

5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Do you mean a book on FM? if so the very best (to me) is Devin Starlanyl's 'Fibromyalgia And Chronic Myofascial Pain ( A Survival Manual)'.

As for one on nutrition, I have sooooo many but to be honest, I eat so little that its a waste of my time to try and follow them (as for as full meals), what normal people eat in a day, I could not eat in a week.

Since you are interested in Native American medicine, have you tried the 'Essiac Herbal Tea' put out by the Resperin Corp.? It is a four herb tea that was originally given to a nurse by a Canadian Shaman (Ojibwa Tribe). It has been around now since 1922. There are only a few books out on this miracle cure. Now they have a web site.

I have been taking it for 9 years off and on. It does not cure FM/CFS!, but it is a wonderful liver and blood cleanser.

Let me know just want you are interested in. I will be glad to help if I can.

Shalom, Shirl

[ advertisement ]