Shirl or anyone else w/racing brain syndrom

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kar1953, Jun 12, 2003.

1. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

Can anyone tell me if there is a certain test or something to see if you have RBS? The other night there was sooooo much noise going on in my head that I actually had to tell my brain to "SHUT UP". It doesn't last too long - just till my Klonopin kicks in.

Sometimes in the daytime it gets just as bad. My mind just races from one thought to another. Most of the times I just get a fragment of a thought til I'm off to the next one.

I do find this very annoying!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Take care......Kathi
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

During the day I don't have much of a problem (unless I take a nap), I am always doing something that keeps me totally occupied.

Mine kicks in at night when I get in bed. I can leave the tv on, but my mind is just shuttling off on its own subjects.

Reading is the only thing that helps other than the Xanax. If I am reading I can keep my thoughts from going elsewhere.

I did not have any tests for this, I had a great doctor years ago (this has been an on going problem for me since I was a child) who had me explain just what I was thinking, or doing when I got in bed to sleep.

I felt rather stupid trying to explain this to him. But as soon as I started to tell him that my mind is on everything and anything when I try to relax at nightime, and that the only way I could fall asleep was to read untill my eyes were so tired I would fall asleep, but would wake up with the same problem all during the night.

He said it was called; Racing brain, he also called it something in medical terms, but I don't remember anymore what that was.

I was put on all kinds of sleeping pills, but none help for very long. I would build up a tolerance for all of them.

Then Valium came out, I tried that, but it made me goofy all the next day. So I quit taking it.

I lived with the reading at night. Then when Xanax came out, he tried that for me. It worked like a charm.

Thats 16 years ago now, and I am still taking the same amount about 7pm. Right now I am as calm as you could get, its 11pm here.

Then Mel mentioned the ZMA, I started that last year, that put the icing on the cake. Not only do I sleep now, but for seven to eight hours a night without all the waking up. If I do wake up, I go back to sleep without all those crazy thoughts running around in my head.

I also take a 2 1/2 milligram of Melatonin right before I get in the bed to help me fall asleep. That works for me also.

For years I would wake up in the morning, and then the racing would start as soon as I was half awake, but it was different than at night, I was angry!

Yea, I would have every little thing that I didn't like racing through my head in the morning.

Now thats gone too. I just wake up normal, or as normal as I will ever be I guess :)

The Klonopin should work perfectly, its in the same family of drugs as the Xanax. YOu can also take it along with the ZMA if you want.

Thats what Mel took and the ZMA.

Hope this helped, I know how miserable it can be.

Shalom, Shirl

PS, I do take Pro Energy (Malic Acid and Magnesium Glycinate) during the day, so that might be helping with the daytime too. Magnesium is a natural tranqualizer.

3. Stillkicking

Stillkicking New Member

This is part of the CFS/FM problem called cognitive dysfuncton. It goes along with panic attacks, memory problems, lack of concentration, spelling problems, clumseyness etc... Sometimes it can be so bad that you may forget what you are saying in the middle of a sentence.

It's a good marker for the disorder. Sorry it effects you so much.
  4. Mumu

Mumu New Member

I did get some relief after using relaxation tapes as I was falling asleep. Also, acupressure seemed to help, holding the tender points on my head and shoulders for a minute or so at a time, moving from one pair of points to another until I would get sleepy. After doing this for a week or so I noticed that I didn't have that antsy feeling like I had before where I couldn't sit down to watch TV without thinking of something else I should do first. I had been up and down constantly before. At the same time all of this was going on I was taking potassium supplements and eating more fruits to get my blood pressure down, so this may have helped some with the busy brain too.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Neurontin and Klonopin are prescribed for anxiety, sleep problems, and sensory overload. They also help with the racing brain problem. These meds are antiseizure medications and help with the misfiring in our brains.

You can read Dr. Paul Cheney's article in our library on Klonopin. It does an excellent job of explaining all of this.

Love, Mikie
  6. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

who took the time to answer this post. I have not been dx'd with cfids but the more I learn about it the more I think I might have it as well as fms.

Shirl, I knew you had it from different posts I've read. I knew you'd be able to give me some answers. Thanks.

Mikie, thanks for the tip about Dr. Cheney's article. It does a perfect job of explaining & sounds like me to a T as far as the noise, light, etc. sensitivity. I only take my Klonopin at night (actually I take the generic-Klonopin is just easier to spell!!). Maybe I should be taking the name brand? Will ask my doc about small doses during the day like Dr. Cheney suggests & name brand. I printed out the article & will take it w/me to my doc next time I go. Not sure when that will be. I'm doing so well right now I have no plans to go anytime soon.

Are there certain tests to tell if you have cfids? If so, can anyone tell me what they are? I'm sure blood tests to check for infections but are there any others?

Thanks for all your help. Don't know what I'd do without all you wonderful folks.

Take care........Kathi
  7. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Which is why I am here looking at/answering so many posts rather than relaxing outside enjoying the nice weather. too hyper to relax.

But, not too worried about it either. It will pass. And at least I'm not in so much pain anymore, I think that's part of it. My body is excited to be able to sit here and type, feeling hardly any pain.

Racing along,
    jen F