Shirl & Others: Magnesium Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pam_d, Nov 11, 2002.

1. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Hi, Shirl-

I noticed you (and many others here) said you take magnesium, and it's helping the pain. I am trying to learn about various supplements (sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff! I don't take meds for FM, and am still very much in the learning curve about supplements) and how to take magnesium. I've heard you need to take it with calcium--true? And what is the malic acid part? Any hints on proper dosage?

Any help on this would be appreciated-- I did check this site's products, but with all the choices I'm not sure--is the CFS/FM multi w/malic acid a good option? (I only mention this product because it's on this site, hope that's OK---I'm paranoid now to mention a name brand, and please don't feel you need to recommend a particular brand either, I'm just looking for the right combination of ingredients).

Thanks in advance for any & all help, I'm learning a lot here from everyone about useful supplements!

Hugs,
    Pam
    [This Message was Edited on 11/11/2002]
  2. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Hi, Shirl-

I noticed you (and many others here) said you take magnesium, and it's helping the pain. I am trying to learn about various supplements (sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff! I don't take meds for FM, and am still very much in the learning curve about supplements) and how to take magnesium. I've heard you need to take it with calcium--true? And what is the malic acid part? Any hints on proper dosage?

Any help on this would be appreciated-- I did check this site's products, but with all the choices I'm not sure--is the CFS/FM multi w/malic acid a good option? (I only mention this product because it's on this site, hope that's OK---I'm paranoid now to mention a name brand, and please don't feel you need to recommend a particular brand either, I'm just looking for the right combination of ingredients).

Thanks in advance for any & all help, I'm learning a lot here from everyone about useful supplements!

Hugs,
    Pam
    [This Message was Edited on 11/11/2002]
  3. LindaGa

LindaGa New Member

I too would like to know I know nothing about them, I take centrum silver and would take more E but affraid I dont know what to take,as im on asprin regimine too81mg a day.I also looked at store here and im lost>I have fibro ,ect and on meds but dont like how i feel Thank You. LindaGa
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Don't take Calcium and magnesium together or they will prevent each other's absorption somewhat. Take calcium with meals and divide doses througout the day, but take magnesium at bedtime by itself or in one of the special formulations like ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B6). Generally speaking, a good dose of magnesium for most of us is about 350 mgs. daily. Any form of it is OK except for the oxide form which is more likely to cause diarreha. If you are not taking any magnesium now, increase the dosage slowly to avoid diarreha until you are used to it.
    The calcium dosage depends on your estrogen status. Before menopause, take 1,000 mgs. daily, during perimenopause take 1,200 mgs., and after menopause take 1,500 mgs. daily. With Calcium, all forms are OK except carbonate,which is not absorbed well, and oyster shell, which can be contaminated. The Citrate form is especially nice if you happen to have gastric reflux as so many of us do, as it will also help that.
    Some swear by malic acid supplements, but I prefer to get my malic acid from food. "An apple a day keeps the doctor away", and apples are loaded with malic acid. I eat at least one apple daily. My personal experience has been that CFS patients do better with the Malic acid supps. than FMS patients.
    While you're at it, don't forget B Complex, which is really necessary since the stress of living with these illnesses depletes your B vitamins, and it's the B's that help your nervous system stay balanced.
    Hope this helps some.
    Klutzo
  5. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

And it made me naused to my stomach. 1250 mg so I guess I should cut it in half cause its a horse pill anyways.
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Thanks so much, you've given me advice on supplements & natural healing before--I'm still educating myself about all this! I appreciate your wisdom, and everyone else's advice, too.

Thanks,
    Pam
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Klutzo covered this great, so what I will do is give you exactly what I personally take. Here it is;

Product; Pro Enrgy; Malic Acid & Magnesium Glycinate.
    (I take 1 capsule before breakfast, and 1 before lunch)

Ultra B-Complex(HIght Potency with Folic Acid)
    (1 capsule with lunch)

800IU of Natural Vitamin E
    (if you don't now take E, do start with a low dose like 200IU's, then build it up to the amount you feel you need)

Vitamin; Ester C-500 milligrams
    (I take the Ester C as it does not bother my IBS, you can take the amount that is right for you).

ZMA (zinc, magnesium, Vitamin B-6) for sleep and for spasms and Fibro pain, best thing I ever took in my life for sleep.

Melatonin; 1 table, 3milligrams ( it helps you to fall asleep you need to fine the amount of Melatonin that is right for you, most people take less than this)

All the above can be pruchased from Pro Health, which supports the board we are on, plus part of the revenue goes toward research for FM/CFS. Ask for a free catalog as well as the free Newsletter; (Healthwatch). Pro Health does have high quality products, geared toward these two illnesses.

I recommend them because I TAKE THEM, and have taken them before I came to this board.

Natural Vitality; Product; Natural Calm,

This is a powdered magnesium citrate(this is a powdered magnesium that you take with warm water), now its great for spasms, but it will give you diarrhea if you over take it. IN fact if you have a problem with constipation, then a teaspoon will have you regulated in short order without upsetting your stomach. This can be bought at most good health food stores.

Only Natural Inc. Polynesian Noni Juice
    (I take a teaspoon of Noini juice before breakfast and lunch, it helps my IBS tremendously. It smells bad, and taste nasty, so put a little other juice with it to cut the taste, I use grape juice. This can also be bought at most good health food stores, just make sure it is pure, not mixed with anything, or it won't help!

As for calcium, no do not take calcium with magnesium, I drink a lot of milk and eat yogurt, so I don't take a calcium supplement, but was considering taking Coral Calcium. I have it, but have not tried it yet.

I strongly recommend you add one thing at a time for at least a week or more. This way if you have a problem with a product, you know what is causing the problem. Its hard to figure out if you take too many different supplements/etc. at once.

It took me years to get this right for me. I have wasted a lot of money and time on stuff that does not work, but this has been the best I have found that works for me. I do so wish you luck!

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask.

Also if you go to the 'Home' page, there is a whealth of information on Magnesium and FM/CFS. Research is on going with this mineral, seems most of us are deficient in it.

One more thing and I will stop writing 'War and Peace' here, do drink water! I drink half my body weight in ounces of water per day, it has made a world of difference in how I feel, in fact between the B-Complex and the water my Fibro Fog is way down! If you would like to read about the water go to; watercure.com/intro.htm

You will be amazed how important it is for people to drink water. I also take a quarter teaspoon full of sea salt a day too.

Shalom, Shirl

8. latracy

latracy New Member

My new fibro doctor has just put me on suppliments. After one month, my headaches and vision problems have stopped, I sleep better than I ever did, the fog is lifting and my pain seems better. I am taking the coral calcium because I had none in my system and my doctor say that it absorbs better than any other calcium. The calcium, magnesium, zinc ,dhea and B-12 suppliments have done what tons of other medications could never do. I am feeling better, but have a ways to go. I hoping that the suppliments help with my allergies (multiple chemical sensitivites). And that I will be able to get off my other medications. For now, I am very hopeful with the progress.
  9. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Shirl, especially---thank you for all the detail, it wasn't a book, on the contrary it was very helpful for someone just wanting to learn about these things! Thanks everyone for all the help--

Hugs,
    Pam
  10. LindaGa

LindaGa New Member

I just got my catalog today from here and looked at it does anyone use the dicount automatic shipping>Shirl you were a big help even looking at the catalog i was lost i have fms with bad fog and fatique,muscle soreness bad and sleep problems,anxity and depressin LindaGa
  11. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Just take your time with the catalog, if necessary ask questions when you order.

Hope you find what helps you like I did. Be sure to start drinking water, that is a great help for the Fog and allegies.

Read the article on ZMA for sleep, its a God Send for sure.

Heres a little help;

Ultra B-Complex is on page; 43
    ZMA on page; 45
    Melatonin on page; 46

If you need any help, please just post. I have been were you are! Only thing I didn't have was the depression!

Take care,

Shalom, Shirl
    [This Message was Edited on 11/12/2002]
  12. LindaGa

LindaGa New Member

I wrote it all down LindaGa
  13. deb49

deb49 New Member

Pam: Just wanted to let you know the Malic acid and magnesium have been a God-send to me. They have helped me more than any other supplement-except maybe 5HTP. I take 1200 of malic acid and 500 mg of magnesium and have for 5 years or so. If I have a flare I take extra malic acid. I read that in one of the articles and it does help. I have been reading on this boeard to take the magneium at night, so I am going to try that to. Deb