Shock-like feelings in upper body from walking,noises?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sharon4d, Mar 8, 2006.

1. sharon4d

sharon4d New Member

I'm new to this group and I'm praying for help and hopefully I may be able to help someone else in some way. I have shock-like feelings in my upper body and brain when I walk or when I hear noises, not necessarily loud ones, or when my body is jarred in any way. I have been to doctors, a neurologist, a spine doctor and his PA, and none of them have heard of anything such as this. Last night I stumbled on a discussion about Cymbalta, which I am taking for anxiety attacks caused by fm, and read about Myoclonus jerks, but I am not sure this is what I'm feeling. This is like an electrical shock and the only way to stop it is for the movement to stop. Sometimes even my own breathing causes it, or the wind in my ears on a windy day. It's quite difficult to function with this happening. Can anyone identify with me on this?
  2. sues1

sues1 New Member

When I started this illness.....I felt as if my lips were coming out of the meds used by a dentist....sort of numb yet....but also a slight electrical shock...also in my face...actually about anywhere....the breath across my lips felt strange.

I also get tics like or I jerk.....about anywhere.....I drop things or stumble.....my legs will jump......my hands will also move while they are resting...

If someone puts their hand on top of my head I also get those slight shocks and my vision feels blurry and I will sink to the floor...I feel like I am passing out. Being that I am short, I have to watch out for people doing this....

My head always bothers me, the rest is not all the time. Lots of it will be when I am extra tired....
  3. dorabella

dorabella New Member

I get similar bodily sensations and I'm not even taking any meds.

I think it's a mixture of anxiety and FM which causes the nervous system to go into overdrive, resulting in a wide variety of strange symptoms and bodily jerking.

When someone comes up suddenly behind me or when I go to step out into the road and a car suddenly appears from nowhere, my whole body seems to erupt from the shock at times. Funnily enough I have weird feelings in my wrists and fingers when this happens - almost as if an electric shock has passed through my torso and out through my hands.

Explain that one......

4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I've been getting these on and off for the past few years. Sometimes it coincides with trying another med. The zaps are in my head, my face and upper body, not painful but not nice.

I mentioned them to my doctor and he just looked at me like I was mad.

Sometimes they come and I cant even relate them to meds.

sorry I cant be of more help.

love
    Rosie
  5. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

hi
    i just read your message,your not alone I also get shock feelings in my head and my body will jerk. I have ringing in my ears.I went to our doctor and he thought i had a calcium crystal lodge in my ear and thats what causes my dizziness. but my daughter works in a very large hospital and talk to one of the doctors there he said he didn"t think that was it. loud noises really bother me.I"m kind of at a disadvantage because i have to go to this Dr.or whoever he sends me to in their clinic.My husband and I have been trying to find a Doctor in our area that deals with fibro we"ll have to pay for it ourselves but if I could find some help it would be worth it.I pray and believe that we"ll find a answer. have a good day and keep going. Sixtys lady

6. sharon4d

sharon4d New Member

I have been so confused about all this, with the NEUROLOGIST being at a loss as to what this could be, and it's such a relief to know there may actually be an answer! The next question is , how do you get off the Cymbalta and not have anxiety anymore? Thanks to all of you for replying.
    Sharon4d
  7. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Yes, I have similar problems & have never taken cymbalta.

I get pains when I hear certain sounds. This happens especially in my back & legs when I'm laying in bed or sitting in a chair. The sounds are whirling like a propellor plane, train or the whirling light used by my dentist when doing fillings that are not metal. (I know the name by my brain fog is so thick right now I have no idea what the word is...)

I also have problems hearing rain on metal, like a car roof, which made me feel like metal was cutting into my body. Wow, did I have to turn around & go home fast when that happened the other day on the road!

Sometimes in bed even when I accidentally breathe on my wrist or hand I feel the electrical sensations start.

Having problems like this makes me dread the summer lawn cutting heavy duty noise mowers & the blowers that follow them. Ugh! I love summer but it is a really bad time for me.

Wish I had an answer for this heightened sensitivity. After 5 years of this craziness the sensitivity has gotten much worse in the last year.
  8. LEFTYGG

LEFTYGG Member

i got this at the beginning when i was really sick. a sudden noise would send an electric shock thru my body. if i was asleep it was worse. my husband would pop open a soft drink and the jolt in my brain would literally make me nauseated.

it felt like little explosions in my head too. ive told drs but it just was passed over. i havent had them for awhile i do think our bodies try to heal and balance.

im much better but im tired and no motivation i hope you stop having this cause i know its scary.
  9. cmcd1070

cmcd1070 New Member

this is my first day reading these boards and I'm floored by some of the bizarre problems I have that other people have too, such as this.

I get these very often, I always have since I was a very small child. I vividly remember the first time it happened I was still small enough to be in my car seat and we were dropping my sister off for school, she was 5 years older than me and still in grammar school. It was a sound that triggered it, the noise of the door slamming shut on my mom's Chevy Impala. It was a heavy door and my sister overcompensated all the time but this day it sent feelings through my fingers, up my hands, into my chest and stomach, up my neck to my head and back to my ears. I cried, it was very scary and I never forgot it.

I've had more, countless incidents much like this one triggered by my own body movements, someone touching me (even gently) and noises. They got worse the older I got until I was sent to a neurologist who found abnormalities on an initial catscan and later severe neurological disfunction on an MRI at age 26.

They are so painful and come suddenly, seemingly from no where. They startle me and I gasp when it happens, which makes people look at me like I'm crazy because in a few seconds it's gone and I'm fine again :|

I was not on any medication at the time that it started. In recent weeks it has gotten worse and I recently quit taking anti-depressant I've been on for 1 year because it hasn't seemed to have helped. It may have triggered whatever process is involved in the shock sensations, from what I'm reading from your posts. It is happening now along with severe muscle \ nerve spasms and twitching.
  10. NashCag

NashCag New Member

I get electric shock type feelings also. From my head to my middle. It is the strangest sensation, and after asking a couple Doctors, and no help, I just keep it to myself. but reading this from you guys reasures me that this is not just me. It comes when there is a noise, it doesn't have to be loud, and when i'm laying down.
    This can't be just a coincidence that this happens to people with cfs and or fm, maybe someone on here will actaully know what does this. But in the meantime, atleast we know we aren't crazy.. :)
    [This Message was Edited on 03/10/2006]
  11. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

And I believe that is what usually brings on my panic attacks.

Sue
  12. kch64

kch64 New Member

Hi Sharon4d,

You're post reminded me of when I first got very sick with this.

I used to have the worst crawling and popping sensations and would hear crackles in my ears.

It was so uncomfortable. It was as if my neurological system has been short circuited and was literally frying and I could feel it and and hear it.

I am much better now. You're not crazy (just for support) we have some really weird feelings and doctors really don't get it most of the time.

Hang in there, it can get better.
    Kendra
  13. lease79

lease79 New Member

BOY do I get these too. In my head, in the back of my neck & up into my head. In my chest. Electric shock sensations that nearly put me through the roof. The ones that annoy me the most are the ones that occur just as I am falling asleep. My body will go from almost asleep to an 'electric jolt' awake. It is awful & sends my heart off racing & my head pounding :(

Lisa