Shocking news ... My sister wants to help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kalina, Jun 30, 2006.

1. kalina

kalina New Member

I haven't been on the board much at all in the last couple of weeks. My depression has been in full swing. I feel so sick I have been stuck in bed, and the brain fog has been worse than ever.

My fair-weather friends are gone, but it has been very difficult that my family has been pulling away from me more and more since I became ill. I used to have a pretty good relationship with my sister. She was one of the few people who seemed to understand, but she hadn't returned my efforts to contact her for almost two years.

One night a few weeks ago, I felt so desperate and alone I sent her an e-mail telling her how much I missed her, and I finally told her some of the things I have been going through lately. I had nothing to lose by trying one more time. Much to my surprise she replied immediately and said she was very sorry that she had been out of touch for so long, but now she wants to help!

My sis is a chiropractor in another state, and wants me to come stay with her for a month or two. She has access to various types of alternative healthcare providers she exchanges services with, so the cost to me will be only the price of a plane ticket. I can give these things a try to see if anything helps.

More surprisingly, she also told me she has been looking for a new direction for her career, and is considering focusing treatment on CFS and FM. I am really excited that she wants to do this! She has been seriously researching it, even before we talked. I never knew! I will do whatever I can to help her to help us.

I just wanted to share my story. Everything else may be falling apart, but I feel like I have my sister back. We've been talking a lot, and we both think my visit will be good for both of us. With any luck, we'll get one more advocate for CFS/FM too!

Kalina
    [This Message was Edited on 06/30/2006]
  2. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

This is wonderful news :) You will be able to get close with your sister again.

And not only that, but you can try some new treatments and I'll bet they will help you to feel better.

I wish you all the best :)

Roseblossom
  3. sues1

sues1 New Member

In so many ways this is great news......both health and family.......Good Luck....Hugs..........Susan
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

every thing happens for a reason...we don't know why at the time...but this is looking good for you..some help..

jodie
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hope good things happen for both of you.
  6. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

bad time. You know we understand all about the depression and the brain fog and the unending pain.

I wish you all the best with your sister. God bless and keep you safe and give you some relief.

Suzette
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

This is indeed good news. I am sorry about the friends bit but who knows things may really turn around for you esp. with sister in medical field.

Good luck.

Love Anne Cromwell
  8. kalina

kalina New Member

Wow... I just logged on and I am very touched by all your encouragement and good wishes. Your responses mean so much to me!

Gosh, I just hope my sister knows what she's in for! :) I tried to tell her, and I hope she understands how much worse I've gotten. I will feel guilty because I can't help around the house.

Oh, and I will also get a chance to reconnect with my neice and nephews, who I have missed dearly. I just hope I have some energy to spend some time with them. (I don't know how those of you with kids do this!) They are there half the time, and with their dad half the time, so maybe I can deal with that.

I am not sure when I will be going at this point. I had planned on going in mid-August, but i just learned that my sister may be in the process of moving around that time. I don't want either one of us to go through all that while I'm there!

I am also planning to see an LLMD while I am there (doctors in Texas won't see new Lyme patients!) so this new uncertainty makes it hard to schedule an appointment with my new doctor where she lives. I am anxious to find out if I do have Lyme so if I do, I can get started on treatment ASAP!

Kalina
  9. findmind

findmind New Member

I am so glad your sister has taken an interest in CFS and FM and she is big-hearted enough to respond to your overture to heal...both old hurts and new sicknesses.

Just a cautionary note, please. Sometimes healers get mad at you if you don't get cured. Maybe before you go, let her know you understand how that happens, but you will not be blamed for not getting cured.

The treatments can help ease the symptoms and help with depression, especially with the hands on treatment and attention, but you both need to accept the limitations because CFS and FM are very complicated.

So fly away, butterfly, and enjoy every minute you can with her and the kids (read to them!, sit and do crafts, puzzles, games, they love it). Forget the trampoline and football and skating; they are much harder, LOL!

Have a great time and healing experience, whenever you go...

There's always hope!
    findmind
  10. kalina

kalina New Member

I hadn't considered that my sister may have expectations of a cure. Yes, she will invest considerable effort in helping me, but I don't want her to have any unrealistic hopes that I will be well after all this. I do think she probably understands, but I think you're right -- I need to be clear with her on this.

Good advice. Thanks!

Kalina
  11. blessedmom2four

blessedmom2four New Member

my heart smiles for you
  12. PVLady

PVLady New Member

That is excellent news! The very best thing you can have is loving family.
    It will also help you get better being close to family.
  13. kalina

kalina New Member

I'm looking forward to getting away from my little room and spending some time reconnecting and healing. I'd go this week if I could!

Kalina