Shockingly sad: NBC's Tim Russert dead at 58

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by zenouchy, Jun 13, 2008.

1. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi Everyone,

I hate to share bad news, but I'm just so shocked that Tim Russert died. He had a heart attack at the young age of 58. I thought he was an amazing journalist, as I'm sure many of us did. Life really is short. I'll be saying a little prayer for his family.

All well to you, Erika

WASHINGTON - Tim Russert, NBC News’ Washington bureau chief and the moderator of “Meet the Press,” died Friday after a sudden heart attack at the bureau, NBC News said Friday. He was 58.

Russert was recording voiceovers for Sunday’s “Meet the Press” program when he collapsed, the network said. No details were immediately available.

Russert, the recipient of 48 honorary doctorates, took over the helm of “Meet the Press” in December 1991. Now in its 60th year, “Meet the Press” is the longest-running program in the history of television.

In 2008, Time Magazine named him one of the 100 most influential people in the world.

Timothy John Russert Jr. was born in Buffalo, N.Y., on May 7, 1950. He was a graduate of Canisius High School, John Carroll University and the Cleveland-Marshall College of Law. He was a member of the bar in New York and the District of Columbia.

Senate staffer before entering journalism
    After graduating from law school, Russert went into politics as a staff operative. In 1976, he worked on the Senate campaign of Daniel Patrick Moynihan, D-N.Y., and in 1982, he worked on Mario Cuomo’s campaign for governor of New York.

Russert joined NBC News in 1984. In April 1985, he supervised the live broadcasts of NBC's TODAY show from Rome, negotiating and arranging an appearance by Pope John Paul II, a first for American television. In 1986 and 1987, Russert led NBC News’ weeklong broadcasts from South America, Australia and China.

Of his background as a Democratic political operative, Russert said, “My views are not important.”

“Lawrence Spivak, who founded ‘Meet the Press,’ told me before he died that the job of the host is to learn as much as you can about your guest’s positions and take the other side,” he said in a 2007 interview with Time magazine. “And to do that in a persistent and civil way. And that’s what I try to do every Sunday.”

Cuomo, Russert’s onetime boss, wrote of Russert: “Most candidates are not eager to present themselves for Tim’s incisive scrutiny, which is fed by his prodigious study and preparation. But they have little choice: appearing on ‘Meet the Press’ is today as vital to a serious candidate as being properly registered to vote.”

Russert wrote two books — “Big Russ and Me” in 2004 and “Wisdom of Our Fathers” in 2006 — both of which were New York Times best-sellers.

Emmy for Reagan funeral coverage
    In 2005, Russert was awarded an Emmy for his role in the coverage of the funeral of President Ronald Reagan. His “Meet the Press” interviews with George W. Bush and Al Gore in 2000 won the Radio and Television Correspondents’ highest honor, the Joan S. Barone Award, and the Annenberg Center’s Walter Cronkite Award.

Russert’s March 2000 interview of Sen. John McCain shared the 2001 Edward R. Murrow Award for Overall Excellence in Television Journalism. He was also the recipient of the John Peter Zenger Award, the American Legion Journalism Award, the Veterans of Foreign Wars News Media Award, the Congressional Medal of Honor Society Journalism Award, the Allen H. Neuharth Award for Excellence in Journalism, the David Brinkley Award for Excellence in Communication and the Catholic Academy for Communication’s Gabriel Award. He was a member of the Broadcasting & Cable Hall of Fame.

Russert was a trustee of the Freedom Forum’s Newseum and a member of the board of directors of the Greater Washington Boys and Girls Club, and America’s Promise — Alliance for Youth.

In 1995, the National Father’s Day Committee named him “Father of the Year,” Parents magazine honored him as “Dream Dad” in 1998, and in 2001 the National Fatherhood Initiative also recognized him as Father of the Year.

Irish America magazine named him one of the top 100 Irish Americans in the country, and he was selected as a Fellow of the Commission of European Communities.

Russert is survived by his wife, Maureen Orth, a writer for Vanity Fair magazine, and a son, Luke.
  2. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

So sad, he was so young. And, apparently, one of the good guys!
  3. budmickl

budmickl New Member

Does it seem like I lost a member of the family?
  4. poets

poets Member

It always seems we lose the really good ones well before their time. I loved to watch him and he will be sadly missed.

5. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I am so shocked, I am at a loss for words. What a tragedy for his family and a tremendous loss for the news world.

I pray for him and his family.

6. mujuer

mujuer New Member

That is horrible. I love watching NBC's nightly news. I really like Tim. He seemed so easy going and middle of the road on his views. Wow that is a sad reminder to all of us that we never know when we are going. His family will be in my prayers along with his NBC family. P
  7. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

How very sad I feel. He was a wonderful journalist. The world will miss him but none of our sorrow will come close to that of his family. He will be sorely missed.
  8. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

How very sad! I can't imagine Sunday morning without him! My DH and I always watch and discuss the issues while Meet the Press is on. Just unbelievable sad.

9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is a huge loss for all of us. He set the standard and even those who did not watch him have been the beneficiaries of the level of the bar to which other journalists aspire.

I've been a news and political junkie since childhood and every time a great newsperson dies, it feels like a personal loss.

Love, Mikie
  10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

He was able to push a sticky point politely, well informed, and not get all arrogant and nasty like some popular journalists.

He was a true American and I will really miss him and the show(s). I always tried to watch Meet the Press.

I am wondering if it was a blood clot from flying that lodged in his heart. I lost a brotjher at 46 to that, and that sudden collapse looked similar.

How sad he went this election year too, as he would have been so looking forward to the changes to come.

He was respected by all parties.

We live near Buffalo, and he was a native son. His dad a garbage man and newspaper delivery man. He spent last weekend moving his dad to a nursing home, then to Italy to celebrate his son's graduation.

The only person I think who could take that slot, would be Charlie Rose, another good guy.

I do feel as if I lost a family member too.

Love Annie
  11. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

frosty77, budmickl, poets, lgp, 1sweetie, greenbean7 and Mikie for your kind words and sharing in my sadness. I feel like he was a family member too. I can't imagine what his family and close colleagues are feeling. Shew!

Dateline NBC is going to have a special tonite about him. He had such a remarkable life. Take care everyone and be well.

Love, Erika
  12. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Looks like we posted at the same time. Thank you for your insightful comments and kind words. I agree with you; Charlie Rose would be a good replacement. I think he is another "good guy" too. They are definitely rare.

13. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

I was in shock when I pulled up CNN and saw this. He is too young! I just cannot believe it. I really loved watching Meet the Press on Sunday mornings. I learned so much about politics. He was a very likeable guy.

14. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

I am deeply saddened. He was truly one of a kind. Not afraid to ask the hard questions. Always respectable. A real gem.

He will be missed.

We just never know.

15. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Yes, it is a very sad thing that we have lost such a great journalist as well as just a very good person. He definatly will be missed for sure by many.

16. sisland

sisland New Member

I can honestly say that i enjoyed all his broadcasts and could actually follow along and understand what he was talking about,,,,,,plus He had an upbeat attitude and a smile on his face all the time!

What a Great American Journalist he was!,,,,,,,Will miss seeing him and hearing him on the NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams,,and Meet the Press,,,,,,,,,,,,,,My prayers are going up for his Family,,,,,Sis
  17. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I was also surprised. I have a treasure - a leather bound, signed first edition of Big Russ and Me. I will re-read the book tomorrow -

I am so sorry he is gone - what a nice man he was.

18. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

for your kind words and commiserating with me. I can't imagine what Tim's friends, family and colleagues are going through if we miss him this much. Goodness. Thanks again everyone for your warm and thoughtful responses.

Love, Erika
  19. xphile

xphile New Member

......was one of a kind. He got to the truth without ever being biased or hateful. I remember when David Duke was running for governor in Louisiana and he got on Meet The Press! Tim asked if he was running for something other than race and Duke answered "for Louisiana's economy" Tim asked straight faced "What are Louisiana's top 3 businesses right now?" NO ANSWER His career was sunk, but it was a fair question and asked with class. He was one of the very few that is truly "irreplaceable" I was numb when I found out about his death. Life is so uncertain. I cried watching the MSNBC coverage remembering Tim. He truly made a difference. God bless his soul and may Christ be with his family right now.

20. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Now I hear Paul Newman has cancer! Also, Patrick Swayzee (spelled wrong) is very sick with pancreatic cancer!

I wish we would find a cure to cancer and heart disease.

I read Tim has hidden or silent heart disease.