Shooting pains all over body?

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by lindajeanbach, May 14, 2004.

1. lindajeanbach

lindajeanbach New Member

I have never officially been tested or diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I believe I have it, though, and have a doctor's appt two weeks from now. I'm tired a lot, don't sleep really well and have shooting pains throughout my body, especially during the night. I also have low thyroid, and read somewhere that there is a link between low thyroid and fibromyalgia. I know when I over-exert myself, don't eat properly and don't take my thyroid, I get lots of pain during the night. I've been taking Darvocet at night and that seems to help, at least for 5 hours or so... The hardest part is being tired. Just even day to day chores (easy ones) after work is extremely difficult. Most days when I get home from work, I just want lie down on the couch, but I know if I do that, I'll feel worse. So I force myself to walk my dog. Many days, it takes an extreme effort to do that. Then things pile up at home, since I don't have a lot of energy. Anybody feel this way??? Was so glad to have found this board...
    Linda
  2. MsCandle

MsCandle New Member

Dear Linda,

I can understand your frustration and feel your pain. Hopefully, you have a doctor that will recognize the fibromyalgia and have some good suggestions for you. The "sick and tired" feeling comes and goes, take advantage of it when you are feeling good but don't overdo!
    I care,
    Mary Ann
  3. Junie

Junie New Member

Hi Linda, I cannot be 100% sure that I have Fibro. Was diagnosed with it abt. 4 yrs ago. I'm replying because long bf I had this diagnosis, I had somthing that started out with being vy tired/sleepy , then would have pain that moved around my body. If i did strenous/repetitive things, as in standing for long periods on a hard surface it would be in my back and legs but other times would be in my face or arms or hands, just moved around, often in the muscles, not joints. Later on it became more so at night when I lay down, the pressure of the matress agains my body seemed to set it off. Sometimes it was on each side of my spine, and often in my upper back and at times my skin on my arms would feel sore --- yet, I do not think I was inas much pain as some with FM. I had to use Trazadone to get sleep at night as tossed and turned because of the pain. This helped me sleep a lot.
    In the last year, i have been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and told I prob. have had it for some time so now I have to question, if it was Fibro or perhaps due to Diabetic Neuropathy tho I have not been told I have that either. Since I have that pretty much under control now, some of the aching has let up, only now its more in my legs and feet.
    Have you been checked for Diabetes ? Just a thought.
  4. Junie

Junie New Member

Linda, Just wanted to add, I also have Low Thyroid and have had since in my early 30's. At present am on Levothroid, which I don't think is working as well as Thyrolar 1, which I took until abt 6 mos. ago.
  5. blue67

blue67 New Member

I have been told recently (Aug. 2004) that I have Fibro.
    I have been to 3 different doctors and still feel like I have not enough info. to help me cope with this condition.
    I do feel for you.
    I have pain all over my body, especially in my arms, hands,hips and legs. I have numbness and tingling all over.
    As time passes it gets worse. I feel lost and helpless.
    I hope you find some answers for yourself.
    Please share any helpful info.

Take Care. Blue67
  6. lindajeanbach

lindajeanbach New Member

Hi Blue67:

I'm sorry you're feeling so bad. I do feel better--I take Levoxyl, and even though my thyroid is still a tiny bit low, I continue to feel better and better the longer I'm on thyroid. Is your thyroid low?? Even if your TSH level comes back "normal," YOUR normal may be even lower...

I've been reading a GREAT book on fibromyalgia. Don't remember the name of it, but it's by Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum. You can look it up on the internet... If you can't get it, let me know (am at work at the moment so can't check for you).

Eating the right foods is VERY important for me. If I eat junk, I really suffer with pain. I HAVE to eat mostly salads with good protein -- fish or chicken. Nothing fried. Or lots of green vegetables with protein. It really makes a big difference in how I feel.

Sleep is SO important. I've been taking Ambien for a couple of months, and it has been a life saver. I't not a barbiturate, it's very safe. Dr. Teitelbaum stresses in his book that you need to get AT LEAST 7 hours of sleep for six months before you can really feel better. I've been getting better sleep for two months now, and I feel much better. He also stresses that you have to do what you have to do to get that sleep--even if it means taking something like Ambien for six months. I work 9-5 in a law firm during the day and HAVE to have sleep.

Am also on anti-depressants 20 mg Lexapro. For a while I was so tired all the time and depressed, I was crying at my desk. I finally got talked to . I can't lose my job, so I double my antidepressant from 10 mg to 20 mg. Has made a difference. And take my thyroid faithfully (well, 95% of the time, maybe!). It's getting better. And eat well. Fruits also during the day, with protein (peanut butter sandwiches, tuna, etc.)

I hope I've helped you. You will feel better as time goes on. I'm VERY frustrated with doctors at this point. All they want to do is prescribe medication for this pain, medication for that pain. Granted, I'm taking meds, but there is MORE to recovery than that. Like diet. I also feel VERY isolated with this disease. I feel like people think I'm crazy. It's very difficult. I KNOW how you feel.

Email me anytime, Blue67.
    Linda B.
  7. blue67

blue67 New Member

Thank you Linda for responding.
    I do feel alone and afraid of how bad it will get.
    I don't like taking pills to "feel better", but that is what these doctors say to do. A pill for everything- right.
    I have been on synthroid for a month now. I have nodules on both sides, not cancer so far. THANK GOD!
    I have a long history of illness in my life book from migraines(dx. age 3), kidney reflux (birth-had surgery age 10), colon (have only 12 inches left), IBS, heel spurs, female issues, allergies to all most every med out there. I feel as though lately I'am being poo-poo on and that this isn't my body. I'am starting to break down physically and mentally.
    It kicks me in the be-hind to work an 8 hr shift, granted I'm on my feet ALL day long. I'am a nuse tech at a hospital, work in the recovery unit and transport pts. to other units. I can barely make it through the day and lately make it without anyone noticing the tears. I'm afraid of losing my job. I really am scared of it all....
    Thank you for listening. Take care and please email me too.
  8. gmta

gmta New Member

i know what you're going throw i was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 5 years ago ....i tried every thing .....hade my fillings remove [amalgam fillings] felt no different...now i'am trying the guaifenesin ....i'am felling better .........i fell like there is hope now .......a must read book....what your doctor may not tell you about fibromyalgia by: R. Paul ST. Amand, md and Claudia Craig Marek.......you have to read the book to understand how guaifenesin works......i'am new here .....was glade to have found this board.....
    good luck.......
  9. lindajeanbach

lindajeanbach New Member

Thanks for your reply. Look forward to reading the book. Hope you're feeling better and better as times goes on....

Linda B.
  10. craziC

craziC New Member

I'm usually on the FM/CFS board - check it out - I've learned a lot of helpful things and found much needed support. I look forward to seeing you all there!

Hugs & Health,
    Crazi
  11. soffy

soffy New Member

Hello my name is Soffy. I have FM for more than 6 years now and is terrible, I noticed some kind of shooting pain on feets and my finger toes but nothing shows that I have Diabetis, which i don't want it, because i have somany things that I already worry about so I don't need anything else. I have also Costochondritis, Osteoporosis in my back, inflamat. arthritis in my hands, so what else I can expect? None. good luck to you, hugs too. atte. soffy
  12. mark40

mark40 New Member

i feel Pain while walking may be the characteristic of several conditions which may range from a simple ankle sprain to a fracture in the heel. Pain will inevitably increase during walking as it strains the pathology. <a href="http://www.ccnatest.com">ccna</a>
    Please give me some more details about your pain, to allow me to help you.
    What is the exact location of the pain? Is it the ankle, sole or the calf muscles? Does it start immediately when you try to walk or after a few minutes? Did you have an accident in the recent part involving your left leg? Has this pain started gradually or has a sudden onset? Does the pain immediately subside once you stop walking?
    [This Message was Edited on 04/22/2010]