Short of breath when you lie down?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by fivesue, Jul 20, 2005.

1. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I have all of a sudden been becoming short of breath when I lie down...it feel lots like it did when I was first diagnosed with anxiety. Anyone else have this problem? Also, it seems like I am short of breath after I eat and it isn't a lot of food. Coffee and toast in the AM. Just seems weird to me. You?

Also, does your back hurt through to your chest, up to shoulder, down arm also when you lie down. It is a chronic pain when up and about, but seems to really cinch up when I lie down.

This has been happening the last week or so, and I was wondering if anyone else has this symptom?

Thank you in advance for any info.

Sue
  2. libra55

libra55 New Member

Hi Sue, I am 49 with FM was dx'd with asthma at the age of 45. One of the symptoms was that when I lie down I get short of breath. Doctor says when lying down the lungs dont work as efficiently.

Maybe you could get a pulmonary study done, your doc would order it, its done at the hospital. It would also show other things besides asthma.

Good wishes,
    Michelle
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

Are your feet, ankles, and legs swollen?

If you are short of breath, especially when you lie down, and have the edema, it might be congestive heart failure.

I know, because I was hospitalized last year for CHF and had these two symptoms.

The cardiologist told me that these are the main 2 symptoms of CHF.

If you have both symptoms, you need to go to the ER right away!
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

It's like anxiety...have you ever experienced it? Seems like everything is just harder to move.

My lungs are in good condition as I have had them checked, never get bronchial diseases, always sinus and ears. So I'm sure it's not asthma or CHD...no edema at all. (Just my stomach and that's not from water11 (-: ).

I'm glad you two told me about these two diseases...my husband has asthma, but he seems to do just fine lying down, and he's in no better shape than I.

Thank you for your response. Any other ideas? It may be that the anxiety is ramping up again. Oh, I so hope not!

Sue

5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I do know the symptoms of a heart attack, and last Saturday or so, I had a very bad pain come on suddenly in that area. I was lying down. I lasted for a bit, but was helped by stretching. I guess maybe I ought to go to the doctor, but when that happened, I took my blood pressure which was fine, and my heart rate was normal. So, I really wasn't too concerned.

Would a heart attack leave a chronic pain, though? I don't know the answer. I saw a doctor on Monday, she listenened to my heart and said nothing. My blood pressure was very good...I do take bp meds but it has been normal for years now.

So, I will take an aspirin and see what that does. I just don't feel like this would be a heart attack as it is so much in my back.

It could be anxiety as that has tightened my muscles before, also. I had a horrible time a few years ago, and with all the stress, etc. it may be.

Thank you for your concern and I will watch things. How old were you when you had your heart attack? How serious was it and what did they do after it was dx'ed?

You dear person...you have had your share of troubles...it's time for a break! (-:

Sue
  6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I don't know...on the other thread (chest ache by I forget who) many have had the same pain and it was nothing. Read it for a comparison.

I will watch it, but I know you might think I'm a bit pigheaded, but I'm just not convinced it's heart...I do appreciate all the concern. In one way, I just don't want to go back to the doctor for yet another gripe. But, read the post of the girl who was 19 and had the same thing I had.

Thank you. I AM watching all of this, not buring my head in the sand, but it is a confusing thing. This DD mimics many other things that it DRIVES me crazy.

You are good friends. Thank you again. I will take into consideration all that you have suggested.

Read that thread on Chest Ache...see what you think. Let me know what you think if you wish...!
    Thanks,

Sue
    [This Message was Edited on 07/21/2005]
  7. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Just read this last post, and yes, I'm taking an aspirin and I will try the coughing. Good tips. Today I feel pretty good, so at least there is a break. Very tired, however, and that is normal...I feel like I will never be well again. Just the way it is.

Don't put much hope in the medical community...have read too many horror stories on this board. After crashing yesterday, I must go on today as we are going to my parents' house tomorrow. My dad is dying...has a terminal disease and is in the end stages of this. Not quite the end, but who knows? Just be glad to see him, talk to him, and take my cat to see him...He so loves my cat.

Do have a good week...I'll be gone a bit, but will try to log on at my dad's and check in once in a while.

You are a good friend. Thanks for your concern and I am taking your message seriously. I am being vigilent.

(-:

Sue
  8. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Today has been very trying and I don't know when it will stop. I appreciate your concern and your prayers. Have to get some books ready to take Dad...he's a reader, and as he doesn't get out much anymore, and as my mother isn't a reader, I send him books to read...ones I get at the thrift stores, etc. He just wrote to say he needs some more, so I'm arranging that now.

Thank you again for your kindness.

Hugs,
    Sue
  9. darude

darude New Member

Just found out have Sleep apnea and now they are checking for COPD too. My blood pressure has been soaring lately always over 160 but they don't know why? Having an eeg on Tuesday for Brain see what is hapening there. Best get checked out don't put all down to these dd's.
  10. june-bug

june-bug New Member

SUE, First of all YOU NEED TO RULE OUT HEART PROBLEMS. All of the other posts are right about heart attack symptoms in women. Last year I went to the emergency room with the exact same symptoms of course I went in insisting for an EKG and echo convinced I had heart failure (shortness of breath, crushing-like pain between my ribs and all over my chest , shoulder and arm pain and heart feeling off beat)I got the tests I asked for and a chest x-ray. All were fine and the doc said....ACID REFLUX???!! Of course I told them they were wrong seeing as how I felt no acid in my throat and my stomache felt fine. I saw my rheumatologist that monday and she agreed with E.R. Doc. Her explanation was that IBS common with fibro sufferers can include reflux and since the heart runs behind the esophagus the heart lining can get irritated and feel tachycardic (off beat) also the shortness of breath can be acid spilling into lung? Coupled with anxiety over thinking I was dying and making fibro symptoms worse (my arm and shoulder pain)She scheduled an upper GI test revealing an over active valve allowing acid upward and a hyatal hernia (stomache built up in diaphragm). Bottom line, I am now on reflux meds. and when I dont take them I get those same symptoms back and laying down allows acid to push up further exasperating symptoms. I could have sworn it wasnt reflux I would have bet money but it was. Check with your doc after heart problems are ruled out. P.s. coffee, along with many other common foods is a no no on the list they gave me of foods to avoid for reflux. I find it may happen on an empty tummy too.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/23/2005]
  11. fivesue

fivesue New Member

This symptom seems to have stopped, and I had forgotten this post even. I see my reg. PCP in a week or so, so I will bring it up.ONe of the reasons that I'm less concerned is that when my anxiety was the worst, I couldn't lie down without being short of breath. My anxiety has been up a bit lately with all the things bombarding my life right now. Anyway...

I have also learned that I have some arthritis and something else in my right hand which is worse than my left. Yesterday, my whole side hurt as it is now as I've typed a lot. So, I don't know. I had some xrays done last week, and am waiting to hear about them.

You are so very kind to respond to this. I appreciate your advice, and I will check this out. I do hope that your health continues to improve. I would be a shocked as you were if any of this was wrong with me. We'll see. Thank you again. I will report after dr. visit.

Sue
  12. darude

darude New Member

Doesn't sound good get yourself checked out!!!