Short term disability through work

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lavender_butterfly, Oct 3, 2002.

1. lavender_butterfly

lavender_butterfly New Member

I have read much about the struggles that people have gone through going on disability. But its always SSI and SSDI that I read about and I am having difficulty finding information on work related disability insurance.

I am heavily considering taking a few months off from work. If I can convince my doctor to support me, it seems that this should not be a problem. But I am afraid to even try it unless I can hear about someone else's experience.

Right now, I am miserable. My symptoms have gone from bad to worse to far worse. I can barely make it through a day of work. Once I am done with work, I can barely struggle home and then I sleep. That is all I am doing. I don't have the energy for anything else. I can't make it to doctor appointments or physical therapy sessions because I am too exhausted and in too much pain. Therefore, I am stuck. Unless I can try to take my doctors advice and follow through on all of her recommendations, then there is no hope for me to get better. My hope is that I can take a few months off from work, concentrate on getting better, and come back. Right now, I don't feel like I am living at all. All I am doing is going through the motions of life and I am starting to lose hope. I am starting to lose the will to live and that scares me. I know I have to do something and do it soon. I am a fighter and a survivor, but there is only so much I can handle before I break. This is the only way I can see to open those windows of opportunity that are closed to me right now.

I read through all of the pertinent information about requesting personal leave due to a medical condition. It seems that all I need is my doctor's recommendation and regular reports about my treatment, progress, and an expected return date. But it almost seems too easy, so I need to make sure. The insurance company is called Metlife. Does anyone have any experience with Metlife? Can they deny me and say that FMS isn't a real condition, therefore they won't pay? Or will they take my doctor's recommendation and pay my claim?

I realize that no one has all the answers and that insurance companies will deny claims for any little reason. But before I make any major moves, I would just like to know if anyone has ever dealt with this type of situation or with Metlife before. I have a doctor's appointment next Tuesday, and I would like to be armed with knowledge and information before I go in. Thanks for your help!
  2. lavender_butterfly

lavender_butterfly New Member

I have read much about the struggles that people have gone through going on disability. But its always SSI and SSDI that I read about and I am having difficulty finding information on work related disability insurance.

I am heavily considering taking a few months off from work. If I can convince my doctor to support me, it seems that this should not be a problem. But I am afraid to even try it unless I can hear about someone else's experience.

Right now, I am miserable. My symptoms have gone from bad to worse to far worse. I can barely make it through a day of work. Once I am done with work, I can barely struggle home and then I sleep. That is all I am doing. I don't have the energy for anything else. I can't make it to doctor appointments or physical therapy sessions because I am too exhausted and in too much pain. Therefore, I am stuck. Unless I can try to take my doctors advice and follow through on all of her recommendations, then there is no hope for me to get better. My hope is that I can take a few months off from work, concentrate on getting better, and come back. Right now, I don't feel like I am living at all. All I am doing is going through the motions of life and I am starting to lose hope. I am starting to lose the will to live and that scares me. I know I have to do something and do it soon. I am a fighter and a survivor, but there is only so much I can handle before I break. This is the only way I can see to open those windows of opportunity that are closed to me right now.

I read through all of the pertinent information about requesting personal leave due to a medical condition. It seems that all I need is my doctor's recommendation and regular reports about my treatment, progress, and an expected return date. But it almost seems too easy, so I need to make sure. The insurance company is called Metlife. Does anyone have any experience with Metlife? Can they deny me and say that FMS isn't a real condition, therefore they won't pay? Or will they take my doctor's recommendation and pay my claim?

I realize that no one has all the answers and that insurance companies will deny claims for any little reason. But before I make any major moves, I would just like to know if anyone has ever dealt with this type of situation or with Metlife before. I have a doctor's appointment next Tuesday, and I would like to be armed with knowledge and information before I go in. Thanks for your help!
  3. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I have been off work since 8-7-02 and finally just now got my paperwork filled out to send in. My problem was getting a doc to fill it out. I know I will only recieve 60% of my pay but I havent got anything yet. Hopefully they wont drag their feet on this. I dont have metlife ins. My doc put on the papers unsure when I will be able to return, then I guess I'll go on long term disability which the thing that rots about that is I have to pay the cobra and for my family its 600.00 a month so I'll have to drop my family coverage and just have it on me. I know I probably havent helped much but your not alone. I think there is alot of us sinking in that ship.
    Carla
  4. contessa

contessa New Member

I'm also trying to get disability from my employer. It's been 23 weeks now and not a penny. Also KimandGary postings have a lot of good info on this subject. I am so frustrated and angry. My company automatically grants 16 weeks paid disability for giving birth!! But being sick - HA. Company refers me to the insurance carrier - insurance carrier refers me to the company. I've seen rheumatology, neurologist, shrink, surgeon, internal medicine, physical therapy, headache clinic, and a couple of nurse practioners. I've had X-rays, blood tests, colonscopy, physical therapy. I have to see an opthalmologist next week. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I've had. They base their decision on my job description which says I sit all day with ocassionally pushing a piece of paper around. If you'd like to email me I'll give you more details. If you're working with the same insurance company I'll tell you what they claim I'm missing.

chardon@maqs.net