short term memory and fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pansygirl, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I'm just wondering how everyone else deals with the short term memory if they have it.

I try to write things down but there are times that I don't and that will be the one thing
    that I need to remember that I can't.

Yesterday I got very frustrated as I was trying to recall something that I did the day
    before and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't remember . It's so frustrating to me at times.

I used to have a good memory before fibro came into my life.

Thanks for listening. Susan
  2. lynncats

lynncats New Member

Susan, you are not alone. I can be in the middle of a conversation with my sister, and all of a sudden, BOOM, I'm like "what was I talking about". It's crazy, my memory is not like it used to be before the whole FM thing. Take Care!!

HUGS

LYNN
  3. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

I have Fibro, MS also, and yes, I suffer with those embarrasing moments. Sometimes my family can't help but chuckle, and when they do, I ask, ok, what did I say wrong this time, because often times, I wil also change words around. I laugh at myself too when I hear what I said. It is hard when you are talking with someone that doesn't know your problems though. Oh well, they don't know, I do. I am blessed with a loving and understanding family. I realize not all are.

I used to memorize things for my Drama class when I was in school, even took third place in region, had my name in the paper. That kind of memorizing won't be happening again! At least I can remember..ha..those days.

Try not to let it bother you too much, you're ok. You know what you said, meant to say, or something like that! :))
    Cynthia
  4. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. I can relate. Hope your sister understands.

I can't remember what I said and at times I can't process what the last sentence is that someone tells me......oh well. I'm getting more used to it.

Hope your having a good day.

Hugs, Susan
    [This Message was Edited on 06/10/2009]
  5. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Thanks for replying . If I don't think about it I get less frustrated.

That's so neat that you went to Region for Drama in high school. Great job!

I think I will make a point to write down more things that are important
    so that will help.

If I take my pain meds and I don't write it down I can't remember for sure what time
    I took them.
    so I've gotten into a habit of writing it on the bathroom calendar when
    I'm taking the pain med.

My immediate family is supportive so that is good. I am trying to get my family in the habit
    of writing things they need on the grocery list on the fridge if they want me to remember to
    get it for them. smile

Thanks again, Hugs, Susan
    [This Message was Edited on 06/10/2009]
  6. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

Count me in the group of one who forgets too!

Susan, the first time I noticed this was a problem, I can actually say it was one of the most embarrassing moments of my life.

My Story:

Being new in a very small city, my best friend (a "well to do" legal assistant) took me under her wing for socializing and meeting the city's "who's who" because my husband, a law enforcement officer, usually worked late evenings. (Let me add, he has lived in this area all of his life...Everyone knows everyone. Except me - of course!)

Friday evenings were the highlight of my week because I was fortunate to accompany BF to the local establishment - where all the "Knights" (made up of the city's most affluent attorneys, judges, prosecutors - you get the picture) met at the famous "Round Table" to discuss the weeks Activities, Politics, Payton Place, who was reading what new novel and his or her news of recent trips abroad...

I probably should explain that all my life I had been somewhat of a Shrinking Violet; but since my diagnosis of FMS/ME and taking the new medications I had been prescribed, I seemed to be blossoming somewhat - especially when I was with this intimate group. Of course being lavished with glasses of wine and cups of Baileys & coffee all evening could have contributed to my new free spirit.

To my surprise, I was fondly accepted by this small mass of high class and I must admit I was in the height of my glory! Until one particular night: It was getting late and I was thinking I should probably call it an evening when a (new) couple entered the "Round Table". I was familiar with their names, they happened to be a married couple who were "top notch" city attorneys. That was it! I had to stay! I'd heard so much about this couple, read their names in the paper almost daily and I just couldn't bear to leave now! Introductions were made..."I'm in!"

Then it happened! Mrs. Attorney of the City asked me about my occupation AND I FROZE! I could not... for the life of me... tell this lady of my past 25 year career! In fact when I opened my mouth NOTHING would come out! I was DUMBFOUNDED!!! Of course I wanted to crawl under that teeny weeny table! It just so happens my loyal BF spoke up for me - but it certainly didn't make me feel any better. Oh how I wished I would have hit the door and got out of there "when the gettin' was good!"

Ten years have passed and now when I stutter, mumble and stumble I usually just take a look back and grin or laugh within; because I know that there is really nothing I can do to make these situations better. Oh, maybe I will give a nimble explanation of why I'm at a loss for words if I feel it's necessary, but usually I just try to go with the flow and make the best of a bad situation. My friends, family and especially my husband are very patient with me and sometimes even help me along from time to time.

I've since forgiven and excused myself by reasoning that "the moment from hell" was due to fibro fog - but of course I didn't even know the term fibro fog existed back then! Perhaps it would have made that moment much more bearable. My friends from the "Round Table" have come to know of my "illness" and have accepted me as I am!

Just want you to know you are not alone. Remind yourself things could be so much worse. We do at least have some memory... and as time goes on we can even consider blaming our loss for words on our age!

Hang in there!

Blessings,
    Rockismom
  7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

You are definitely not alone there!
    Like you I have to write down whenever I take my medication. sometimes if I just think I'm going to take it, that's what I remember - so I won't even end up taking it. I've had to call my husband from work and ask if I took ___ and at what time.

Also - the mixing up of words - I'm famous for that. My family gets a kick out of how I can screw up a sentence so royally. Then even repeat it back to me and I still don't get what's wrong with it.

The worst ever was when I started taking Topamax - never experienced anything like it. Words would just disappear from my vocabulary. Nouns especially. I'd think I'd need to say "butter', but I'd be thinking "shirt". WEIRD. Luckily that side effect doesn't last long.

Always had the best memory - my boss loved it. Not so much anymore. I'm honest with him though - just tell him "no clue what you're talking about, but I'll figure it out in a minute".
    Luckily he smiles.
  8. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

Hey, it sounds like you have things worked out for yourself. I also have to write things down. If I don't, I'm in big trouble. That's a great idea of writing down your meds time on your calendar. So many people take too much because of their forgetfulness.
    Rock, I like that thought, and have actually thought of it before....Age! I can start using that one now. :)
    Jan, you just tell your boss to give you a min. and you will remember? That's great! Love it. lol...
    Cynthia
  9. jmq

jmq New Member

I feel the same! My memory use to be so good. I would be able to multi task...handle deadlines and stress at work and still remember details. Now I literally forget in the middle of doing something! I will walk into a room and forget what I went there for. I also see that it is getting worse. I went to the Nuero to make sure I do not have alzhiemers...but he just says it is the fibro ( thank goodness for that )

I also write alot of notes ...but loose those ! LOL. I just laugh at myself.

jmq