Short-term Neurotin effect

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by receani, Jun 7, 2003.

1. receani

receani New Member

Has anyone experienced short-term effects from Neurotin. About two weeks ago I was given Neurotin 300 to take 1x daily at bedtime. (I received some good responses from the site regarding it). I took the medication as perscribed. The first night I was surprised and grateful that I was able to sleep through the night, not toss and turn with pain and was able to get up from my bed without that first morning agonizing pain. I also didn't have a hangover. I thanked God and thought I had finally had the answer. Night two I took the Neurotin and felt as if I had not taken it at all. All my pain had returned. It was as if my body read the medication's code and built up a tolerance over night. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I'm not scheduled to see my physician until the 19th of this month. Pain, pain, go away. Don't come back another day!
  2. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

I had a migraine. The first night was bliss, as you described. I must add that I take klonopin for sleep and topamax for migraine prevention. Added the neurontin to try to alleviate pain and cut down on pain pills. Sleep was an unexpected bonus. If I have a migraine I have exponential pain and thus don't sleep. Also I can have real cognitive disfunction-Idon't realize that I have a migraine or that I am in as much pain as I am in, if that makes any sense. But anyway if I don't have a migraine I sleep great. I am on a much larger dose of neurontin, 600 mg 4 times a day, and on klonopin as well. By the way I have never slept like this before!
    Tibbie
  3. judywhit

judywhit New Member

you should take another 300mg pill at say 5pm and than your 300mg dose at night also. my doc wants me to take 300mg for 4days than up to 300mg twice daily. Or if you are uncomfortable with this break a pill in 1/2 and empty out 1/2 of the dose. You can either recap the remainder (buy geletin caps at any health store) or can put in yogurt and take a 150mg dose that way.
    Just a thought. I would hate for you to give up on this drug so soon. From our poll many are finding pain relief and much needed sleep with this drug.
    Judy
  4. kgg

kgg New Member

My doc said I could use multiple doses if I need it. I doubled it for a while. Then I was able to go back to only the 300 mg at night. My qualtity of sleep seemed to wax and wane depending on what and how much I was doing. It also fluctuated when I had hormonal changes, like ovulating and PMS. I found I needed more then.

Call your doc and tell him it is not working as well as the first night. He probably will tell you to increase the dose. But don't do it independently from him/her.

What has really helped me sleep better is the magnesium injections I received lately. I don't tolerate the pills. For me sleep was a combination of meds and therapies not just one med.
  5. JannyW

JannyW New Member

When my doctor started me on Neurontin, he had me take 300 mg 1x/day for the first 7 days, then 2x/day. After the first 3 days I started to feel better, but the pain was returning in the evening. By the time I got to Day 8, I was ready for that second pill! I had basically the same reaction you did -- it just took a little longer. So you might want to give your doc a call & let him know that your pain is returning and see if he'll up your dose.

Jan ^v^
  6. ginger0206

ginger0206 New Member

I have been taking Neurotin x 5 months and it hasn't helped my sleep (occasional daytime sleepiness) but helps my pain as long as I don't do much of anything. If I over do it or have a flare up I take flexeril or soma, ultram, and skelaxin. Most times this isn't even enough. I just want to go to the ER and be knocked out, which I don't do because I would be broke if I went every time I needed to.
    But anyway I take 300mg-2x's a day and would like to experiment with some other meds to get more out of my life instead playing it safe to keep the pain down.

Experimentation is the key to controlling individual pain thresholds, I just wish my doc felt the same.

Keep us updated
    Ginger