Shortness of Breath and Stress

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MJJBunny, Aug 3, 2003.

1. MJJBunny

MJJBunny New Member

I've been dealing with a lot of stress the last couple of weeks and find that I'm now having periods of shortness of breath. I have both CFS and FM, but this is not one of my normal symptoms. Has anyone else experienced this?
  2. aduck

aduck New Member

and feeling so weak.

I agree to go get tests done to be sure your heart and lungs, etc are OK, and then....
    If your doctor says they are OK, you could try what I and others do (get your doctor's approval first, probably) which is....

The only thing that helps me quite a bit, and I don't understand why, is eating protein in small amounts real often, I know it sounds odd, and not eating very many carbs.

When I feel more normal I can go a long time without eating protein.

ALso there is a breathing exercise some others can tell you about, I forgot what it is, but I need to start doing it.
  3. TKerr

TKerr New Member

There is a known connection with CFIDS/FMS and dysautonomia. I have felt hungry for air like I'm not getting enough and have shortness of breath with any exertion. Dysautonomia can cause shortness of breath. Have your doctor check your blood pressure while sitting and then again while standing and check your pulse at the same time. It is not uncommon for CFIDS/FMS patients to have orthostatic hypotension or POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia). Blood pressure goes down, pulse goes up when standing or maybe the pulse alone goes up more than 20-30 points. Higher temperatures make it much worse for many ppl. Sometimes the change in bp and pulse is delayed by up to 20 minutes. I often feel better if I drink a lot of water as this makes me less orthostatic.

Consider doing a search on the internet for Orthostatic Intolerance and FMS or CFIDS to learn more.

Hope you feel better soon.
    Terry
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

I just bumped a good article on this subject for you to read. If you see yourself in this you should pursue this with your doctor.

Barbara
  5. libra55

libra55 New Member

Hi! You might want to get some pulmonary testing. I had shortness of breath, thought it was from my fibro, when I went to get tested at the hospital they told me I had asthma (adult onset), so now I have meds and an inhaler for that, too. Just a thought. Good luck with it! libra55
  6. MJJBunny

MJJBunny New Member

I have been paying close attention to the times when I am having shortness of breath. There is no doubt in my mind that it is stress related. Whenever I am in a situation that is difficult or stressful, I begin to lose the ability to breath deeply.

I just wanted to share this information with everyone.
  7. MJJBunny

MJJBunny New Member

After I decided that stress caused my shortness of breath, I went to the grocery store and the same thing happened. It then occurred to me that I rarely leave the house. Most of the time my husband shops. I don't want to go anywhere. The majority of my social life is on the computer. I hate social situations. My husband mentions a trip to see our son in another state and it falls on deaf ears.

I have both CFS (15 years) and I don't recall this problem. I've got FM for a few years and now this.

What's wrong with me now? Agoraphobia or panic attacks. Does this sound familiar to anyone?