Shortness of breathe can't yawn

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by froufrouheart, Nov 22, 2006.

1. froufrouheart

froufrouheart New Member

Just wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same. Some people just think this is insane and that I'm just kinda making it up...
  2. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

By any chance are you hypothyroid? I had those symptoms before I was diagnosed. Now that I am on medication I don't have it happen very often.

The feeling that you need to yawn to get oxygen is one of the symptoms. If you search thyroid.about.com for a thyroid self test it gives you a checklist of symptoms.

Regards

Eileen
  3. Catseye

Catseye Member

Hi, if you look in the library at Dr. Cheney's cfs protocol, he talks about this and what to do. Search here in the library under Cheney and look at the Nov 8, 2002 article. Then use "find" to look for "oxygen", it's really long. It's worth reading the whole thing if you can. I took all the supplements he recommends and they really work. good luck to you, karen
  4. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i have problems breathing some times where i cant take a deep breath it is from chronic myofascail there are trigger points in your back and chest does it feel like you are really tight around your back and ribs? if so this is it ,if not you may have something else going on.hope this helps charlene
  5. kjfms

kjfms Member

I don't have your problem -- I yawn too much...LOL

I have read a little bit about yawning though and from what I have read it is interesting that the exact causes of yawning are still unknown.

One old hypothesis -- or a SWAG as some friends and I like to call these -- is that yawning is caused by an excess of carbon dioxide and lack of oxygen in the blood.

A study that documents this effect does not exist is:

"Yawning" by Robert R. Provine, pages 532-539, American Scientist, November-December 2005, Vol 93, No. 6

This is copy and pasted from Wikipedia just because I thought it interesting :)

A more recent hypothesis is that yawning is used for regulation of body temperature.

Another hypothesis is that yawns are caused by the same chemicals (neurotransmitters) in the brain that affect emotions, mood, appetite and other phenomena.

These chemicals include serotonin, dopamine, glutamic acid and nitric oxide.

As more of these compounds are activated in the brain, the frequency of yawning increases.

Conversely, a greater presence in the brain of opiate neurotransmitters such as endorphins, reduces the frequency of yawning.

Patients taking the serotonin reuptake inhibitor Paxil (Paroxetine HCl) have been observed yawning abnormally often.

Another theory is that yawning is similar to stretching. Yawning, like stretching, increases blood pressure and heart rate while also flexing many muscles and joints.

It is also theorized that yawning helps redistribute an oil-like substance which coats the lungs and aids breathing.

Some have observed that if you try to stifle or prevent a yawn by clenching your jaws shut, the yawn is unsatisfying. As such, the stretching of jaw and face muscles seems to be necessary for a good yawn.

I just found it interesting that so little is known about yawning -- so my guess is that even less is known about the lack of yawning.

I hope you have a great Thanksgiving,

Karen :)

6. dooker

dooker New Member

Hi, I am allergic to sulphites, and if I have sulphites, my stomach seems to expand, and have trouble breathing. Do a search for sulphites on the internet and see if the symptoms are similar to what you have.
    Mike
  7. kjfms

kjfms Member

That is a very good point sulfites are in so many things from red wine to Synthroid for hypothyroidism and the symptoms are asthma-like in nature and cause headaches for some.

Thanks,

Karen :)
  8. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

I remember EXACTLY what this same situation felt like!

During my teens and into my 20's, I almost ALWAYS felt like I couldn't breathe in a satisfacting amount of air. It was different from feeling out-of-breath, like from physical exertion, but just as if I couldn't expand my chest enough. I was always trying to yawn, but when I did, it wouldn't "refresh"! I just couldn't get a COMPLETE breath.

I did try yoga (mostly lying-down poses), meditative breathing and breathing into a paper bag (which is supposed to correct CO2 ratio). All these things would help a tiny bit, but the problem would soon return. It was most irksome, and I DID feel crazy.

By late 20s the problem completely went away, but that was a long bout of discomfort. I sometimes try to think what could have caused it. It MAY have had to do with overly and chronically tight muscles in the rib cage, because I was also prone to bronchitis, and those episodes usually ended in a broken or separated rib.

I hope yours goes away sooner than mine did, and I also hope I someday run across a theory as to "what that was all about"!
  9. Catseye

Catseye Member

I think this is one of Cheney's breathing technique's that he recommends. The article is no longer on that page but here it is:

Breathe in for 4 seconds
    Hold breath for 7 seconds
    Blow out with lips pursed, producing back pressure, for 8 seconds

Do this 8 times a day or until you get dizzy.

My memory isn't great but there's a chemical that the hemoglobin uses to release oxygen and this substance is lacking in many cfs patients. So when you do this exercise, it fools your body into thinking that you are in a low oxygen area, like high altitude, and it will produce or release more of this chemical. You can tell it's working when it gets easier to hold your breath after awhile. If you can only do 2 or 3 inhales, then do whatever you can. Ridiculously simple and seems to work. karen
  10. shabbyanne

shabbyanne New Member

I've had this on and off my whole life. Read up on hyperventilation syndrome. Can be brought on by anxiety, which I've also had all my life.
  11. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Hi - I have always suffered from Shortness of breathe and it's always worse while I'm eating. My sister mentioned to me it could be my heart and just so happened I found out a couple days ago my cholesterol is 250. It worries me but they say it shouldn't be my heart but more anxiety.

When I get this way I take a small quarter piece of Klonopin and there are alot of times I have to yawn to catch my breathe.

Wishing you best wishes.

Carolin