Shot for headache and neck pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by celeste1226, Sep 3, 2008.

1. celeste1226

celeste1226 New Member

I went to my rhuemy today and he gave me a hot on each shouler by my neck for the pain. I get really bad headaches and he said this should relieve the pressure to my head. The shots hurt like H_ll. Felt like he was tearing open my skin and cutting my muscles. It was bad then he wiggled the needle to spread the med and OMG it hurt. It was only a few seconds but man did it hurt. He said it was Lidocane (sp) to numb the area said it should last till I see him next month if it dosent then he will need to send me to a nuerologist (sp). as of right now it feels better. Has anyone else had these shots. if so how long do they last?

2. S-Elaine

S-Elaine Member

Hi .....

A doctor will normally start with "trigger point injections".

From there, they can do a "nerve block".

From there, you can get "Botox Injections."

I have gone through all of them & what I learned is these injections SHOULD NOT hurt you.

The doctor must use a very fine needle and gently inject the area.

Usually, they will even press around to find the area that is triggering the pain. They may mark it with a "felt tip pen".

For me personally, since the Trigger Point Injections & Nerve Block Injections were not lasting enough ---- I had to go to BOTOX.

Most people do not.

A Neurologist usually is pretty well trained in the area of "Injections" ..... so it should not hurt as much.

One time I got an injection in my tummy for my IBS & WHOA, that was the one and only shot I ever got that really hurt where I screamed.

The rest, close your eyes, take a few deep breaths & tell the doctor to "GO".

Take care,
    == Elaine
  3. colorfulcolorado

colorfulcolorado New Member

I've had shots in my neck to supposedly ease the pain, it (the shot) made everything in my neck worse-don't know what kind of medication was in the needle but it sure didn't do anything. I had 2 series of those and never went back!(too painful).
    Then before I had my back fused they gave me a series of shots in my spine to see if that would help so I wouldn't have to have surgery. That never worked but I was really hoping they would. Don't remember the medication that was in the shot.
    Then about 3 years ago I got DX with bursitis in my left shoulder due to an injury at work. Now that shot or shots did help and that was cortisone and some kind of numbing stuff in there also. But that only lasted 1.5 months. They said I could only have 4 a year. Went in for my third shot and workers comp refused to pay. So, I'm stuck with the pain because I was stupid and didn't pursue it through the courts.
    I don't understand why he would send you to a neurologist for pain in your neck and shoulder? You think he should be doing an MRI or something to see if there are pinched nerves or something else.
    Hope this helps alittle anyway. Take care!
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I've never had any.
    Is there a shot they can give you to not make your legs aches so badly? I can't imagine where exactly they'd "shoot' ya, but sometimes I think I need SOMETHING.
  5. hensue

hensue New Member

I know you were in a lot of pain did you ask what he was putting in you. wiggle the needle makes me hurt thinking about it . that was yesterday is your headache better?
    I know pain doc. Give some kind of pain block shots.
    i dont get them yet i hope i dont have to.
    Let me know that is scary
    YOU mean it was lidocane he put in there? it should not hurt like that when you get shots.
    Also does everybody have leg aches?
    hope you are better for a long time celeste!
  6. celeste1226

celeste1226 New Member

5-elaine- yes the doc did do exactly as you said the trigger points touching in my neck used a felt tip pen to mark the areas.

I did feel better throught the rest of the day but by night time. The headache came back with a vengance. LOL. i couldnt sleep it kept waking me up. Then yesterday it was gone by morning. I still had a slight headache but manageable. I did alot of driving yesterday since my dtr had a drs appt and I had to do other things. so last night I fell asleep at 8p and woke up this morning at 1030a. with the headache. and so tired. I will need to call my doc today to let him know it didnt work. or maybe I just pushed myself tomuch yesterday. it has been really hot here and the molds are really high so i think that is what most of the problem is. I am in Texas and the humidity here in San Antonio is crazy. i was really hoping this would help. Maybe the neuro will need to be my next step.

thanks all for your responses

PS before I forget. I did have a cortisone injection in my back 2 years ago and I dont know if i will ever do that again. After the shot I got a horrible headache. They called it a spinal headache. What happened is when I got the shot my spinal fluid leaked into my brain causeing the headache. Doc had to do 2 blood patches to try to seal the hold in my spine from the injection. It was horrible. Finally my blood clotted and sealed the hole. he wanted to do a side injection to block the nerve but I refused. so I suffer with the back pain now.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/05/2008]
  7. Engel

Engel New Member

I am in constant neck pain and horrid headaches. I have been to 2 different neurologists. I have degenerative disc disease and get this ... it is not bad enough to do anything with it. GO FIGURE!
  8. msSusan

msSusan Member

I have herniated disks in my neck which I thought were causing my daily headaches but a neurologist thought they were due to fibro.

I have tried many trmts. like steroid injection in neck (C4..C7 issues), acupuncture, massage, cranial osteopathy, cranial sacral, PT/traction, reiki, Feldenkrais and warm pool exercises.

Most caused more pain or didn't help fibro., headaches or neck pain. I'm getting NO PAIN relief with meds I can take during the day. Sleeping o.k. with 2.5-5mg Valium.

Sleeping position causing issues w/ neck/headaches. Neck/shoulders never relax.

I'm trying to get more info. on CES/Cranial Electrical Stimulation for headaches and fibro. SEE MY OTHER POSTS.
  9. goofgirl

goofgirl New Member

Hi Celeste,

The only similar experience I've had was a podiatrist who gave me a cortisone injection in my foot two days before my wedding so I could wear high heels; I have a tremendous pain in my left foot constantly, so that's the only way I could do it. I know... the lengths some women go to, ha ha ha... Anyway, he did the same thing, injected it and then moved the needle around to spread the medication. OMG, I think it was about the worst pain I've ever felt. In fact I got so pale the Dr. thought I was going to pass out and he had to coach me to "breathe, breathe..." Makes me a little nauseous to think about it!

I would like to know if the lidocain helps your headache, shoulder and neck; I have pain in the same area all the time, and use lodocain patches occasionally. I really hope you feel better!

10. simonedb

simonedb Member

anyone tried this shot? i heard it might help my lax ligaments in neck, which could help with pain prevention. but doc says it works better on lower back so i didnt do it.
  11. Larac.

Larac. New Member

Hi, i am Larac. I have had fibro since 2006---I been getting shots in left side of neck and shoulder and my head pain is relentless---

I just got a shot on nov21st--finally some relief----It feels like my left shoulder and side of neck are on fire----

I am use to getting the needles----I can not wait to see my rheum on dec 19th and give him a big hug----

Hope to hear from you--Larac..