should i actually cry and moan when seeing dr?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by homesheba, Nov 11, 2008.

1. homesheba

homesheba New Member

i have been brought up to be not complaining type
    and that has pretty much stuck with me and im 54 now.
    and when i see dr, even tho i am absolutly miserable
    and feel like im dying from pain,
    i dont show it like some i think -
    and maybe that is why he dosent seem to give me help
    when i almost beg him for it.
    my fentanal isnt wking now much and ive asked and asked
    for a change but he keeps saying ,'lets wait'.
    so i go thru withdrawles and hurt all the more.
    what do i do??
    i really do cry tho at home and scream sometimes
    from being so frustrated and hurting...
  2. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

to am not one to show my pain or wine or complain about to people .. I even will laugh at times... its a coping thing ... I have learned that the doctors need to see you at your worst,, other wise they just don't get it

I went in with a pad of paper and a list of what I go through every day ... and yes I have cried .. I no longer let out a laugh .. as they just don't get what that is about ...

I just wish that they would ask questions.. Like : what is your day like ? what are you challenges ? are there things you can no longer do ? what do you do for a living ? if you work that is ... do you struggle ?

I now go in with my pad with symptoms .. challenges I have .. and a big list of questions.... I have to write stuff down , my memory is failing me .. short term is a real problem now .

let them see you at your worst.. the way I see it .. : you see them for what maybe 10 min 15 min every 2-3 months... so they really need to see it ,, bring a list of your symptoms .. break it down for them .. even if your not in a flare at that min when you go over your list, it brings all back home, so they willl see it .. for me its sometimes hard to talk about what I go through without crying now.. just a little . ( I miss me )
    my list :
    from the top down..
    head , neck , back, face, arms, wrist . hands, legs , thighs, feet, ankles .. and anything else that hurts.
    rate you pain levels ,, I summarize a weeks worth for them .. this really helps get your point across

I hope this helps just a little .. sorry for rambling though ,, this DD is so very hard to live with . takes so very much away from us ..

be strong and never give up the fight .... sending much love your way
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

The Dr's office is the one place you can and should complain about how you feel. I've always been the same way - never wanted to complain.
    My poor doctor - I always end up at least teary-eyed if not crying at my visits. I just can't help it. I say to her so often "I wish you'd known me before".

It has occured to me that if I go in acting "good" she won't completely understand how I feel. It is my nature to be light-hearted, friendly etc. with people. I've had to learn to let it go when at the doctor - if you need to complain about how you feel, even if it's how you feel at home when you are crying - tell him, by all means - tell him how much this DD has affected your life.

I often wonder why I go to the dr. - not because she doesn't help me with meds, but because I feel like all I do is complain. I don't know what I expect her to do for me. I don't know a lot of things anymore.......

Tell your doctor exactly what you wrote here - you cry and scream from being so frustrated and hurting.