Should I exercise every day? :) :) :)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by baanders, Jul 23, 2008.

1. baanders

baanders New Member

I have CFS/FM pretty bad. I had a milder case in my 20's that remitted when I exercised. At the time I didn't know what it was.

A dr. on tv said that exercise is the only way is the only way to combat fatigue. So I walked outdoors yesterday. I felt happier. My depression lifted. But because I'm not used to straightening my back, it is sore. I think it will loosen up as the day goes on. It kept me awake some. The rest of me feels good.

Should I exercise every day?

Thank you for your concern.

2. baanders

baanders New Member

I have tried everything. Exercise boosts endorphins which are chemically identical to morphine...essential if your just off of your opioids.

3. baanders

baanders New Member

What about the upper body? When I wash my hair, I usually hurt for 1-2 days. I was battered 12 years ago to the left shoulder and neck. Those areas are tender. Should I do any upper body exercises?

Seems like I'm answering my own questions ;)
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Ya know what? You are answering your own questions. =)

Exercise is good for many reasons. This is coming from a person who does very little exercise mind you. When I do or have I should say, it always feels good. Even before I had FM badly, I could never do aerobics, hated them! Walking though is wonderful. I LOVE taking a nice walk on a summer's evening. It does wonders for the mind, soul and spirit.
    So - whatever you can do, do it - without overdoing it, pushing yourself too hard or expecting too much. It sounds like you are very in tune with your body, so that's great!

This sounds so minor, but I would do this one leg exercise that truthfully after 6 weeks I always noticed a difference in my thighs. It's a quick, 'can do it anywhere' type movement. Everytime I get back into the routine, I feel GREAT. I truly only do 10 on each side, (sometimes twice a day) but I can feel it. Of course, I can't do it if my legs are killing me. My point being that it doesn't matter how "big or small" the exercise is, to me, it's the fact that I'm moving or doing something and I'm feeling good.

Take precautions obviously. That goes without saying.
  5. Honora88

Honora88 Member

But you must remember to pace yourself and gradually increase.
    The key is to keep the increase small but constant.

My doctor said to do the same amount of excercise for x amount of time and then add on and continue for the same x amount of time.

6. tandy

tandy New Member

For me personally,.... I do get a 'good feeling' when I do some form of MILD exersize.
    But for me,... I count everything I do as exersize. If I'm not sitting, or laying down,..I'm exersizing. :) LOL

Grocery shopping, running errands,making dinner & then cleaning up after, doing dishes,etc.
    It all feels like exersize to me!!!
    why should'nt it count? am I burning any kind of calories?
    yup. well,.. then its exersize.

Unless I'm totally down for the count, I try to stay busy.
    I don't think even the fittest, most healthiest person needs to exersize everyday~
    a few days a week seems sufficient. just my opinion.
    take care,
  7. hi all,

i would say yes, you should exercise everyday,but not the exercises that none fibromyalgia/M.E/CFS people do.

we have to do different excercises to the none fibro people,else when we go beyond that limit,we then crash severely.

im on holiday from work this week,and so i havent used my bike that i ride to work on....big mistake for me,because now my hips are stiff.

so im going to have to get on my bike in a bit,and ride around the block,else my hips will just remain stiff and painful.

also,everyday i feel like my spine wants me to hunch over.

its the only time that it doesnt hurt,when its hunched over.

but i must make it stop hunching and keep it straight.

ive always been proud of walking with a straight back.

a excersize that i just have to do each day to force my spine to stay sraight is.

stand with your back to the wall,heels of feet touching the wall.

now slowly raise your arms up above your head,and let your fingertips touch the wall above your head.

when you do this you will feel your ribcage start to straighten itself out,and your spine too.

start doing this for a 1 min a day,and then sit down a bit, as it is hard on the arm muscles to start with.

but when you get were i am,,,

ive been doing it for over 2 years,at 3 mins each morning and afternoon,then you can ease the spine and ribcage pain by keeping those areas flexable.

i just dont want to be hunched over,ill do anything to stop that if possible.

if i skip this excersise then i know ill lose the straight back.

use the bottom step of your stairs,every day if possible.

just step on and off a few times each day,to keep those limbs moving,else we,ll cease up for sure,and maybe never get back the mobility in our limbs.

im determined to stay out of the wheel chair, if a can.

take care all,love fran
  8. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

then go for it. I think aerobic exercise helped me the most when I could do it and I had milder CFS. If the price you pay for exercise is intense like ending up in a wheelchair for a few days later on then you probably shouldn't. I say this because that's what happens to me now, I end up in a wheelchair for days in a row, unable to even stand on my own after exercise. Sometimes this doesn't hit until many days later so it took me awhile to draw the connection.

Now that I hardly exercise at all I no longer end up in the wheelchair at all and I no longer need to see my chiropractor. This illness is often progressive so you may be able to exercise more now than in the future. If you are able to exercise a lot I suggest keeping it up as long as you can because I think the two years I was unable to keep it up helped lead to my illness getting worse plus developing severe FMS although it could just be do to perimenopause and/or progression of these dds.

9. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

Should you - YES! Can you - ???? Only you can answer that question. My rheumy is all for exercise. But she cautioned me to go slow. She recommended to swim first and then build up to walking and other exercises.

Some weeks I can swim 2 or 3 times - others not at all. Listen to your body - it will tell you when it's had enough. I think that's part of the problem for some of us. We feel better, and then push too hard. We need to pace ourselves. We are not normals.

best of luck,
  10. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Before I got sick I was walking in the morning and evening around the block ( 10 minutes each time) .

But now I do what I can. I usually only walk in the evening when I can walk with my hubby and I also get in the pool and walk and do some exercises if I feel up to it.

My doctor said to start out slow with the walking and gradually increase as you can, he also agreed that swimming was good~ just floating feels good on my muscles.

Some days I can go all the way around the block and some days I may only make it 1/4 of the way and half to turn around.
    I also count walking at the grocery store as exercise.

I think that what I am learning is to pace myself and listen to my body and stop before I over do things.

Gentle hugs, Susan
  11. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

There are a million conflicting schools of thought on the topic of CFIDS and exercise.

The only thing that has ever worked for me is to listen to my body closely before I exercise, during and then after.

I think the graded exercise can work for some of us. It's helped me in the past. I would say if you can walk without a "crash" then keep doing it. The soreness is not CFIDS, it's musculatory, or spinal.

Be gentle with yourself. But if you can exercise, I say keep doing it. Gently.

12. tony23

tony23 New Member

Aerobic exercise should be done at least 3x a week. Lifting should be done 2-3x a week. Even lifting once a week will show benefits. Not so with cardio. You need to do aerobic exercise at least 3x a week.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/25/2008]
  13. pasara

pasara New Member

As I understand it, PEM is the hallmark of true CFS/ME. If exercise is helping you your chronic fatigue is probably caused by other factors. You are fortunate if this is the case. No matter what the actual name for it is, you should keep in mind that for many people with CFS the drain may take a few days to show, so that while you can do it one day, the next you take longer to recover, the next a little longer, until you come to the point where you completely crash.

What is usually suggested is you do half of what you "can" do, and see if you can do it consistently for a couple weeks without causing any exacerbation of symptoms. Then and only then, try to increase a tiny bit (baby steps) and again see if you can maintain that for a couple weeks without exacerbation.

Hope you find some relief again!
  14. Peace77

Peace77 New Member

I walk my dog every night and it takes about a half an hour. We stop and go a lot. And sometimes I go around several blocks and other days I just walk down the street and back. Depends how I feel. If I didn't have my dog pushing me to go I probably wouldn't though.

I would not walk when it is hot, only cool summer evenings. Also very cold weather can mess up joints and tighten up muscles.

How do you feel walking?

I use to say start out walking to your corner and back home like 5 minutes. Do a little more each day. Increase slowly. Then if you get a flare you have to start almost all over again.

My level now is about 15 minutes to 1/2 an hour a night or at least 5/7 nights.

Good luck, but it's total different for diff. peo. at diff. times. Exercise in moderation.