Should I get a new doctor???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kmelodyg, Mar 20, 2003.

1. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

I've been seeing this doctor for about 6 months now. He has put me on 8 Ultam a day, 400 mg. of Celebex a day, 1 flexerol at night and 100 mg. of Amitriptaline at night. All of this takes the edge off and helps on my good days. But when it's bad, it doesn't help me AT ALL!! He just upped this dosage from what it was, which is half of this. I told him that I have tried Lortab before and that seemed to help. He said that he did not want to go down that road yet. I don't have any insurance yet, but will be applying for Medicaid on April 1st, after my unemployment runs out. He said that he really can't go to narcotics until he can do x-rays and a MRI and can figure out what is wrong. That would be way too expensive w/o insurance. He seems to believe that I am really in this much pain. My mother said to get someone else, what do you think? HELP!!
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I think that Mom's advice is very good! Without insurance you would have to 'mortgage the farm' to take all those tests!

I am not familiar with all your meds, I take supplements for the pain of Fibro and all the other ills that comes along with it. The only thing prescription I take is Xanax, low dose at nightime.

HOpe you get some help soon.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Just from what he has prescribed and what he has told you, I would say this doc isn't very knowledgeable in our illnesses. BTW, the antidepressant and muscle relaxant are infamous for causing rapid weight gain. Not my favorite meds.

Love, Mikie
  4. karen55

karen55 New Member

find another doc.

Karen
  5. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

Thank you for responding. I have been trying to be patient with my doctor because I figured that he really cannot do much for me without being able to do any tests. He seems to be very sympathtic, but I get the feeling that he is not sure how to deal with me. I am going to try and find someone else tommorrow. By the way, does anyone know how long it takes to get Medicaid after signing up for it?

Kathryn
  6. kellogs

kellogs New Member

You owe it to yourself to be pain free no matter what tests have been run or not run he should have enough faith in you to believe you are in pain. Bottom line. Please do it sorry but hes a quack.And you deserve better,NO one should live with pain. Sorry IVE had this so long i have a real attitude with uncareing drs. Please get the help you deserve. GOD BLESS YOU KELLOGS